Author Topic: computer spec  (Read 2683 times)

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: computer spec
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »
I have a new gaming system just finished building today.  This is all brand new out of the box parts from DandH and ASIPartner (my suppliers).  This system scores 12533 on 3dMark06 without any over clocking.  With tweeking is should get to about 15k +_-

Gigabyte Motherboard Part # EP45-UD3P (3 year warranty)
Intel Q6600 Processor Part # BX80562Q6600 (G0 model) (Retail box  3 year limited warranty)
OCZ Vendetta 2 Heatsink & Fan Part # OCZTVEND2 (1 year warranty)
OCZ Reaper Memory 4GB Part #OCZ2RPR10664GK (Lifetime warranty)
EVGA GeForce 9800GTX+ Part # 512-P3-N879-AR (3 year warranty)
Western Digital 500gb Hard drive (not sure which 500 I put in so no part #) (5 year warranty)
Tagan 900 watt Power supply Part # BZ900 (3 year warranty)
NZXT Tempest Case
NZXT SENTRY 1 Fan controler with CPU, System, HDD monitor
Windows Vista Home Premium

My Price $875.00
newegg price for parts 1233.90

Upgrade Motherboard to ASUS Maximus II Formula 130.00
Add Swiftech H2O Compact CPU Cooling system 200.00
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:31:09 PM by TilDeath »

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2008, 04:32:12 PM »
Tildeath... just a suggestion, maybe post quarterly a budget build, a medium build and a good gamers build what you can do. We can cross post a link for persons interested in a new computer. That is if Skuzzy is OK with it.
See Rule #6

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »
Look for an Intel Core2Duo processor at a minimum of 2 Gb with a 1333 front side bus.  A larger CPU cache is preferable to a smaller one. 

You'll want something with a dedicated video card with at least 512K dedicated RAM.  If you can't find one in your price range then look for something with on-board video that offers as much shared RAM as possible.

As to System RAM 2 Gb should suffice unless it's being shared by on-board video.  Then you'll want a minimum of 3 Gb.

Any size hard drive should do.  Bigger is better.

Sound is likely to be on-board in your price range.  If it's not to your liking you can always add a sound card later on.

Hope that helps.  Happy shopping.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline haasehole

• Copper Member
      • http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/The13thMidwestPilotGroup/
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 09:41:44 PM »
thank you all the info helped i know i could have a biuld comp for under a grand but by the time i buy a OS / and other software it bout double in price thanks for the addition info baldeagle i hope i find 1 that will get me ok game play with decent graphic's that will last a couple years of updates and such  :salute
~GELU~CRUOR~IUGUOLO~o2b1ace~
             13 Midwest Pilot Group
                  WD40 - F.S.O.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 02:14:27 AM »
Dude you could build one easily under $800 with OS! Get a few builds from Tildeath and you will get more for your money!
See Rule #6

Offline Dadano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 02:59:13 AM »
I just put together a budget rig.

Asus P5K Pro- 110
e5200 CPU- 85
HD4670- 80
Antec 300 Case -50
Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt PSU- 50
2 Gigs pc6400 w/ heatsink- 30
Freezer7 Pro- 30

435 + shipping

The CPU overclocks from 2.5 ghz to 3.5 with stock cooling. I'm @ 4ghz stable, 55 degrees under load with the freezer 7 and antec300 case.  The mobo leaves me upgrade options when needed. Very happy with it.

Dano
Army of Muppets

"Furballing is a disease, and we are the cure... Oink."
-Twitchy

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 05:20:08 AM »
I just put together a budget rig.

Asus P5K Pro- 110
e5200 CPU- 85
HD4670- 80
Antec 300 Case -50
Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt PSU- 50
2 Gigs pc6400 w/ heatsink- 30
Freezer7 Pro- 30

435 + shipping

The CPU overclocks from 2.5 ghz to 3.5 with stock cooling. I'm @ 4ghz stable, 55 degrees under load with the freezer 7 and antec300 case.  The mobo leaves me upgrade options when needed. Very happy with it.

The starter of the thread stated a good gamer, upgradeable and use for a few years.  IMHO the system you speced out does not meet the requests. The specs of the system your stating most likely will score between 4 and 7k on 3DMark06.  Not a gaming system at all.  You say that the MB has room for upgrade, none of the other components do, so your out repurchasing Video card, Power supply, memory again rather then adding a video card or additional memory.

The PSU is crap I won't even sell an earthwatts psu. I think the max amps on one of the rails is 22 forget any good video cards or a crossfire comfiguration, It has a max of 4 SATA connectors, you CANNOT use a 260 or 280 video card. and I dont think it has the power for a 9800.  The MB is for Crossfire upgrade, the PSU wont handle it. PC6400 is SLOOOOOOOOW memory and it will be hard to get to a decient FSB without way overvolting it.  The processor does overclock well but, with the memory stated you will never be able to use the overclock since your FSB will not be able to compete with the processor speed maybe get that memory at best to 1066.  What voltages are you pushing your processor at?  Anything over 1.325 your risking frying your processor, all the OC specs I have seen over 3.8 on that processor are at 1.35+.

Overclocking a rig for gaming is not a question of "what I can push my processor to" alone, its FSB, Memory timings and their relation to the FSB, not to create bottle necks which actually slows system performance.  Its to have all components work in harmony to produce a fast and stable rig.  Heck I have a liquid nitrogen pot for processors and gpu's, I can get 22GHz out of some processors and more on others but that does not make the system fast.  I guess I live in a different world when it comes to gaming systems,  I build out for Industry Standard scores (3DMark06) not what I can get for the cheapest price and Overclock and say my system runs at _____.  When my reputation as a builder,  supplier and world ranked overclocker is on the line, I do not compromise quality for price.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:05:38 AM by TilDeath »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
The starter of the thread stated a good gamer, upgradeable and use for a few years.  IMHO the system you speced out does not meet the requests.

The OP said he wanted to buy a system for under $1000 and further stated that he wanted one pre-built.  Lets get real here... he's not going to get a world class gaming rig for that price but he will be able to get one that runs AH just fine for the next couple of years.

Dadano posted his system specs.  He said he built his rig for under $1000 and is happy with it.  Obviously it runs AH just fine.  Why degrade him?

I don't think either of these guys is trying to win a benchmark award.  I think they are just looking for something that will run the game for the next couple of years and on a budget at that.  Why not just help them gracefully rather than coming in here as you do with the "I'm the greatest computer guru the world has ever known" attitude.  I'm beginning to wonder who's worse... you or mini-you (drdeathx).

JMHO.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 10:31:30 AM »
The obvious choice for gaming is to build your own.  And as easy as it may be in reality, it scares the crap out of some people who don't know anything about it.  When I built my first computer, I listened to the more experienced friends I had who had done their own already.  I didn't look to the internet for confidence.  But thats me.

As BaldEagl was leading to, these pissing contests are getting old and aren't helping anyone.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
The obvious choice for gaming is to build your own.  And as easy as it may be in reality, it scares the crap out of some people who don't know anything about it.  When I built my first computer, I listened to the more experienced friends I had who had done their own already.  I didn't look to the internet for confidence.  But thats me.

As BaldEagl was leading to, these pissing contests are getting old and aren't helping anyone.

Agreed!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 01:55:42 PM »
BaldEagle.... There you go again... Please read through this post 1 more time. I simply stated politely earlier for the individual to reply what he intended to use the computer for(possibly more graphically challenged games) and how much he wanted to spend. Then as we all see, I directed him to Tildeath seeing he bulids computers on a daily basis and is up to date with pricing of harware, ect. These forums are to help and some replies add to forums Skuzzy has to moderate. Please read forum rules!(use the shoe rule too).

The best advise is this:

Reply the exact amount you would like to spend on a new computer. We will find the best bang for the buck on a pre-built system and I am quite sure Tildeath will reply with the best MB, processor, PSU, Vid card, Sound card, Drives, ect.....and places to purchase them. After the pricing is done he can determine if he wants a pre-built or a self build.

I would stay away from compaq and HP. Those "Pre-builds" are not the best to uprade in the future and use somewhat outdated oversupplied technology.

Stay on track in this forum BaldEagle. I do not think it is intended for your analysis of others recommendations. Please make your recommendation and stop whatever you are trying.

I don't think either of these guys is trying to win a benchmark award.  I think they are just looking for something that will run the game for the next couple of years and on a budget at that.  Why not just help them gracefully rather than coming in here as you do with the "I'm the greatest computer guru the world has ever known" attitude.  I'm beginning to wonder who's worse... you or mini-you (drdeathx).

I am trying to use 1 basic rule: Ask not think
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 02:14:33 PM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 06:44:49 AM »
I have a HP Pavilion that I purchased 2 1/2 years ago and since the last upgrade at HTC it has really slowed down.  I recently ran the (3DMark06) program on it and scored so low as to be on the just on the positive  side to run AH.  The unit is pretty well loaded down by CH, IR, Ventrilo and all the other things that required to make the game enjoyable.  Last evening I updated the drivers for the computer and saw no real improvement.  I was going to reformat and install but with what I saw yesterday I think it is time to bite the bullet and rebuild.  I agree with the ready made units being outdated products and I've built my own units twice before.  I definitely do  not want to go the Athlon route.  So gentlemen and esteem guru's what do I put together that will run in the games that are in the high end (Call of Duty 4) for example.  I would like to stay in the $1200 to $1500 range or less. :noid :salute     
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 08:00:45 AM »
The OP said he wanted to buy a system for under $1000 and further stated that he wanted one pre-built.  Lets get real here... he's not going to get a world class gaming rig for that price but he will be able to get one that runs AH just fine for the next couple of years.
No he is not getting a "World Class Rig" but I showed a rig under 1000 (his high end) for 875.00 saving over 350.00 from newegg cost, it is pre-built with an OS installed.

Dadano posted his system specs.  He said he built his rig for under $1000 and is happy with it.  Obviously it runs AH just fine.  Why degrade him?
His Rig may run AH fine but the settings he stated are not obtainable without adding serious voltage which is not safe to push to a CPU.  I didn't degrade him I stated what I though of his parts and settings.

You will not win a benchmark award in these budgets.  I stated the benchmark of the system that I proposed because its the industry standard.  I posted a system within the proposed budget that scores very well within the industry standard.

I am not the greatest "computer guru" in the world but all the systems I propose on these boards I have built and know how they perform with relation to "industry standards" (hence the statements of the scores) not just going to newegg and shopping price, or what I think will work.  I do this for a living, am very well respected in the community for my knowledge and experience in this field.  If I don't know something I don't answer, but if I do answer something on these boards I have the sources to back up my posts and do not back down from my beliefs and what I know is right or wrong with configurations and settings.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:14:11 AM by TilDeath »

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 01:00:24 PM »

<-- gets some popcorn and throws a purse into the ring.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 01:08:36 PM »
<-- gets some popcorn and throws a purse into the ring.
How much is the purse?