Author Topic: computer spec  (Read 2601 times)

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: computer spec
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2008, 08:04:37 PM »
Really need 4GB?  No.

Also, Really need a quad-core?  Nope.
As I recall Skuzzy has suggested Dual-core CPUs over Quad unless you are heavy on movie-editing.
For "AHII" he likes Duals, most other games make use of the Quads and higher end graphics cards.  If all your going to do is AHII and nothing else sure get a Dual.  Also the specs he quoted from me is a system I had built out not for aces high alone but other games too and was for sale at over 200 less then newegg pricing.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2008, 01:11:45 AM »
does SKuzzy have a post where he recomends CPU/MB??

As recently as a couple months ago he built a computer with an Intel E8500 and an Asus MB.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,250578.0.html

Here's the thread.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 01:13:18 AM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2008, 08:13:18 AM »
As recently as a couple months ago he built a computer with an Intel E8500 and an Asus MB.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,250578.0.html

Here's the thread.
What you fail to mention here is that "most of the parts were sitting on the shelf"  Not what he would build if he were to get new parts

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2008, 08:24:37 AM »
For "AHII" he likes Duals, most other games make use of the Quads and higher end graphics cards.  If all your going to do is AHII and nothing else sure get a Dual.  Also the specs he quoted from me is a system I had built out not for aces high alone but other games too and was for sale at over 200 less then newegg pricing.

Actually, Aces High II is one of the few natively multi-threaded games on the market.  Most games claiming to be multi-threaded actually are leaning on the asynchronous nature of DirectX.

The reason dual-cores are preferred is due to the normally higher clock rates, which yeild higher raw performance levels than a quad core.  On a clock matched quad core to dual core, there is just not enough "bang-for-the-buck" in a quad core to warrant the cost, unless you are into heavy movie editing.  Both Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier will make use of all available cores and they have the ability to actually saturate all the cores available.

Quad cores also use double the power of a dual core, and require far more of the HSF due to the heat they can generate.

As far as my current computer goes, I never have been a "bleeding edge" kind of guy as I depend on computers too much for the work I do.  They always have to work and work flawlessly.  I am conseravtive, and shoot for a good performance value.  If you want the absolute bestest, fastest, highest endest computer, I am not the guy to talk to.

Right now, the CPU is at 3.75Ghz, with an FSB of 533Mhz, running one to one ratio, with the CPU and the peripheral bus strapped to 400Mhz.  It runs cool, and more importantly, very quiet.  I am happy with the performance.  It boots before the "kitt" eyeball makes one full pass at the Windows boot screen. I love that.  Very stable and cool running.  Video encoding has been just fun to watch now, it is so freaking fast.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 08:41:57 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2008, 10:32:07 PM »
Right now, the CPU is at 3.75Ghz, with an FSB of 533Mhz, running one to one ratio, with the CPU and the peripheral bus strapped to 400Mhz. 

is this stock of OCd?
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2008, 06:18:31 AM »
It is overclocked.  The default clock speed for the CPU is 3Ghz.  333Mhz FSB and a multiplier of 9.  Now the FSB is at 533Mhz and the multiplier is at 7.  The I/O bus is strapped to 400Mhz to keep it running smoothly.

I went through a lot of combinations to find the best overall performance.  My personal benchmark is a video render file and a POV-Ray render file.  Those are the two things I spend most my time at when I am at home on my computer.

The system has proven to be rock solid.  I just encoded a video which took 8.5 hours to render and it did not miss a beat.

By the way, the speed of my systems boot is largely due to the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum card drivers.  Every onboard sound chip driver I have ever had the displeasure to install almost triples the boot time of a Windows XP system as compared to the Audigy 2 ZS card.  And I never install the Creative utilities either.  Just the driver.

DISCLAIMERThe above is not an endorsement to overclock your computer.  Overclocking  carries risks with it and if you chose to do so, you are on your own.  I cannot be blamed for anything you make the choice to do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 06:20:17 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com