Author Topic: New computer  (Read 846 times)

Offline Odisseo

• Copper Member
New computer
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:41:32 PM »
S! All!

I'm just back from a worktrip with my new laptop, since it's much more powerfull than any other pc in my home I wish to install and configurate AH on it.

It's a HP EliteBook 8730w
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service pack  3.0
CPU Intel Pentium III Xeon dual core 2790 MHz
cache  6144 KB
4.00 GB RAM DDRII
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M (512mb video + 1 GB free RAM)
Widescreen 17" res. 1920 x 1200
HD 280GB (NTSF) Raptor 10'000rpm

Let me know how to install and setup AH as well :)

Thanks in advance!
Save Swiss Milk, drink Beer!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Re: New computer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »
Back a few months ago, I was going on vacation.  I took my laptop with me (not the greatest computer around, but worth a try).  All I did was grab my AcesHigh folder from my desktop PC and copy to the laptop.  That's all I did.  Seemed to have worked just fine, as I was able to go online and goof around while on vacation.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »
from what you posted on your laptop info seems like it meets the requirements to run AH.

just download it from the main website get your stick and headset and your good to go.

stick and headset not required to run the game you can fly with a mouse and use your laptop speakers and just type anything you want to say.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Odisseo

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
I'm sorry, i didn't posted as well and the meaning wasn't very comprehensible.
I have already installed AH in other PC and i't some years i'm playing it, but never with a widescreen PC (wasn't there something new about widescreens?) and with the possi bility to use hight resolution textures.
My question should be "which configuration should I use to set AH at the best?"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:01:29 AM »
the only way to know for sure is to try it. When you first start the game click video settings. In there you can set the screen size to match your screens optimum screen resolution, and also check the box for the screen type you want "widescreen" and so on. DO not load skins in memory unless you have only a few select ones on your computer. To put them all takes too much memory. Also here is where you would set the texture size. If you want to trythe 1024 texture you must first go to the download section of the aces high site and download the 1024 textures. After you install them, come back to the video page and using the drop down box select the 1024 textures. If you want to get rid of the 1024 textures you do not have to uninstall them, just return to the video setting and using the drop down box select the texture you want.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 10:07:34 AM »
Just a heads up.  The NVidia Quattro video cards are usually not very good performers under DirectX.  They are highly optimized for OpenGL.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Odisseo

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:13:08 AM »
Thanks all for the help, I still have some questions...

I set the screen resolution to match to my screen max resolution 1920x1200, set full details, full range, ect and the game run as I never saw before! I tried to play the 100 vs 100 furball offline mission and I have a frame rate of 85Fps when there are 200 planes furballing :)

I din't understood very well how work the hight resolution pack. I donloaded the AHHIRES213.exe file but where it has to be installed? (wich folder?)
The textures I have are those I downloaded in background while I was playing AH, have I to download others textures?
With this hight res the friend and enemy icons looks enormous, is there a way to set the icon dimension?

Thanks again!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:57:18 AM »
If you installed the game to the default location that's how you install the hirez pack as well. I think you dump the files into the Aces High II folder were ever you put it. After you install it make sure you can the texture in the video settings in the game to 1024. If you already did that it will only be using the 512 texture seeing you didn't have the 1024s installed. You might have to switch it to 512s and then back up to 1024s to get them to work.

Once you are back in the game click on options, preferences, GUI. You can change font size here, but I'm not sure if that the setting your looking for, but it might be.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »
Just a heads up.  The NVidia Quattro video cards are usually not very good performers under DirectX.  They are highly optimized for OpenGL.
What he said.  Though you have a a fast CPU and lots of RAM, I wouldn't be surprised if your game performance is quite poor TBH.  The Quadro series of cards are not designed at all for gaming.  They're for CAD and other technical design applications.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:35:00 AM by Fulmar »
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Odisseo

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »
If you installed the game to the default location that's how you install the hirez pack as well. I think you dump the files into the Aces High II folder were ever you put it. After you install it make sure you can the texture in the video settings in the game to 1024. If you already did that it will only be using the 512 texture seeing you didn't have the 1024s installed. You might have to switch it to 512s and then back up to 1024s to get them to work.

Once you are back in the game click on options, preferences, GUI. You can change font size here, but I'm not sure if that the setting your looking for, but it might be.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Odisseo

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 04:41:41 PM »
What he said.  Though you have a a fast CPU and lots of RAM, I wouldn't be surprised if your game performance is quite poor TBH.  The Quadro series of cards are not designed at all for gaming.  They're for CAD and other technical design applications.

I bought this notebook for work (Maxwell render, Atocad and 3D applications) but it still the faster PC i hvae, the quadro viedo card has been chosen for my work, but it still work as well with the game.
Just tried it now with hight resolution and full details, FPS don't decrease at all even if furballing close to the ground with smoke and other details appearing.
I'm quite satisfied of this PC :)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »
This is one of the better Quadro chips for gaming being about the same thing as a geforce 9700.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 08:58:10 AM »
Thanks for your help!

glad I could help, and glad it all worked out for you. Good Luck !