Author Topic: Aiming  (Read 1050 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Aiming
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:22:58 AM »
Come to find lately that I am alright at getting behind most players and tracking them fine. My problem comes when I cant score hits to get out and engage other targets. Im getting picked alot chasing someone in circles. Are there any good reads about aiming maybe even some sights that would help, any help appreciated :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Re: Aiming
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:04:59 AM »
First off, one of the hardest shots to make is from a dead six. The reason for this is the profile of your opponent, from the six o'clock position he presents a very slim target. Dead sixing a P38 is a good example. From that position a p38 is very slim and a poor target. Get that 38 in an off angle and it becomes very big.

Secondly, your gun convergence plays a very big part in how many BB's are going to hit your target. This is a personal choice, IE you need to figure out at what range you generally start to shoot. (Do you get in close? Do you like to shoot from 200...300...400 yds?)

Generally, once most people get the hang of this sim, they shoot under 400 yds. I personally set my convergence as a default to 300 yds, but will change it as the fights in the area dictate ( I never set convergence to longer than 300, but often set in closer), but that is me, and not necessarily where you need it.

Thirdly, G-forces have alot to do with your line of fire. If you are pulling positive G (IE you are in a tight turn), your BB's are going to fall under your nose. If you are in a negative G situation (IE you are in a dive and pushing your nose over) your BB's will rise above your nose.

Many times I will pull the trigger as my opponent disappears under my nose in a turn. Remember, once your BB's leave the A/C they will go in a straight line, while your A/C will continue to depart the shoot angle.

Lastly, please avail yourself of the training arena. If there are no Trainers there, there is usually at least an old fart like me there who would be more than willing to help you out. There is also some ground targets there to practice on.

Hope this helps a bit

cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:02:52 AM »
Fly the 109k4 or any plane with a large cannon like the Yak9T.  It will teach you to either hit your shot, or die. It will also teach you to conserve your ammo.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 05:40:44 AM »
P39Q baby. 2 .50s and 1 tater. You'll die a lot, but when you get good at shooting, one sortie in lets say... an FM2 you'll get 10 kills, no re-arm no sweat.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:29:30 AM »
Fly the 109k4 or any plane with a large cannon like the Yak9T.  It will teach you to either hit your shot, or die. It will also teach you to conserve your ammo.

I find myself in the K-4 quite often lately.  Rarely do I die from missing a shot, as you can either out-turn or out-climb just about anything.  It will help your aim for certain, but to be honest you need to be quite close to be effective. (200 or less, prefered)  On the other hand I can reguarly land hits at 600 with the laser American brownings.  Therefore, your over-all aiming ability may not be improved from flying the K4 or YakT, if you plan on returning to hispanos or .50s. 

If you want to aim well, use the same weapon (even if on a different bird) for several sorties/tours in a row.  That's where the confidence will be built.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »
1. Don't try shooting when drunk, junky  :aok

Offline tokenjo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 01:58:06 PM »
Try turning on the lead gun site for offline practice.  Go to Arena set up > Enviroment > Arena Settings > Flight Model Flags > click change then X the Lead computing site.   When flying hit the TAB key to pick the nme.   This will give you a idea of where you need to be aiming.   I was off on my end by 1/4" to 1/2" on where I thought I should be shooting.   The snap shots / high lead shots give me a world of trouble.   I think you can just use the tab key in the TA arena for the same ?

Tokenjo

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »
you are not slipping or skidding when shooting are you? that can throw you off.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 04:03:19 PM »
My personal problem is I love the K4 for dogfighting, ask J0ker i served him up in it but unless i get a very easy shot i cant hit crap,even with the 50.
Today i had some better luck with aiming I scored 8 kills in a 190 and 8 in a F4u-1 which boosted my moral alot but the thing i was more happy was with how i was flying the ki84 I was wining 2v1s left and right just because i could kill the first plan fast.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »
My personal problem is I love the K4 for dogfighting, ask J0ker i served him up in it but unless i get a very easy shot i cant hit crap,even with the 50.
Today i had some better luck with aiming I scored 8 kills in a 190 and 8 in a F4u-1 which boosted my moral alot but the thing i was more happy was with how i was flying the ki84 I was wining 2v1s left and right just because i could kill the first plan fast.
I learned to aim and conserve from the 262. Flew very timid, only a few rounds of ammo so conservation is key. Also you must pick and choose your shots and targets carefully. It helped me in snapshots since you're going 500mph and the other guy is going 50. I have trouble getting someone when they're pulling hard but pull in front of you. Usually I start firing when I feel them coming in front of me and hope for a kill.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 06:29:11 PM »

Gunnery is integrated with ACM. Try not to think of them as two separate things.  You have to maneuver your plane and set up your shots so its so easy that it's almost impossible to miss.  This is even more so for planes like the K4.  A mistake I see a lot is people just following the enemy, rather than flying to where he's going to be.  Try and predict your opponents moves, out think and out smart them and your gunnery will work itself.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »
I wouldn't recommend learning to aim in the k4 first because it requires a different fighting style. And not all those skills will transfer to other planes. In the k4 you'll find yourself almost always using lead pursuit, trying to intercept the enemy's flight path as close to him as possible. It doesn't matter how much angle off tail you have because if you're ten feet away from him, you can't miss. And it only takes one or two rounds to down him.

With .50 cals you'll find yourself using lag pursuit more often, trying to get behind your opponent for a tracking shot because it takes a sustained burst to remove parts.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 02:30:40 AM »
hey junky,

Line em up,  point and shoot  stupid !  :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »
i think climbing targets are the easyest to hit and the hardest are turning shots with a 30 or 37mm canon all others are easy
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 02:41:50 PM »
Practice, practice, practice.

Offline.  With and without the lead computing sight.  With and without tracers. 

Approach the drones from all angles, speeds, etc. 

Practice using your views to keep the drones in sight at all times as you roll around them, clockwise and counterclockwise.

When you don't have the inclination to spend a lot of time practicing, because the MA really is more fun, then at least fly one sortie offline until you use up a full clip of ammo before heading into an arena to kill the red guys.

Once you get confident in your aiming, a periodic offline tuneup is all you'll need.

Good hunting.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19