Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 201119 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2009, 11:53:14 PM »
Anybody have an links to material on the Beaus service with night fighter squadrons during the blitz?

Specifically Im looking for kill tallys on specific German aircraft during night time hours. Thanx. Even better would be a inclusive record of Beau night time squadron Ops during the entire war in Europe.

Actually I don't have that info outside of the first radar assisted kill was November 1940 and the best night during the Blitz was in May 41 when they claimed 24 German bombers.  I don't see that the night fighter versions of the Beau would matter for AH at this point since there is no night fighting, and carrying a radar operator isn't likely :)

I'm only interested in the daytime attack/strike versions of the Beau, which is why I keep talking about the VI and TFX as they were the main daytime birds in the ETO, MTO, CBI and PTO.  The Merlin bird was not popular and not used in that daytime role.

Moot, the gunsight was on a movable pedestal so it could be pushed off to the side.  The image below of the VI/TFX cockpit shows it in the stowed position.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2009, 12:05:57 AM »
Thanks Dan.  So Fig.1 looks like it's pointing down and is shot from pretty low, relative to what you would see sitting in the cockpit. The view out of the cockpit shouldn't be as bad as Fig.1 seems to show.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2009, 12:22:31 AM »
Thanks Dan.  So Fig.1 looks like it's pointing down and is shot from pretty low, relative to what you would see sitting in the cockpit. The view out of the cockpit shouldn't be as bad as Fig.1 seems to show.

Not sure if this helps, but taken from behind the pilot.  There were armored doors that could be open or closed behind the pilot.  They sometimes took passengers who sat on the ammo bins behind the pilot and in front of the navigator/observer.

And just for fun, an Aussie rocket carrying Mk X of 30 squadron in 1944.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2009, 12:45:51 AM »
So.. the pilot's shoulders are normaly somewhere just behind the canopy pillars where the lamps are attached.. looks like it'd have a great front ~270deg view from the AH cockpit!  It'd be cool if we got the observer position as the T34 got a pintle observer's view, too.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2009, 08:20:24 AM »
Dan is as always, correct.  The MkII with Merlins did not see widespread action against the Lufwaffe.

When you see the T designation that model of the Beau was known as the Torbeau.  Torpedo carrying Beaufighter.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2009, 09:05:51 AM »
I think the Beau will be an A-20 on steroids.

It will have (IMO) greater structural integrity and more control surface authority. The A-20 is much more of an E fighter then an angles fighter so the ability to carry great speed will enhance the Beau significantly I think. Since its a fighter it will not have an "F3" mode (fine by me since I dont use it in the A-20).

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »
I assume since it had a navigator/observer that F3 would be enabled? My comment about visibility was more to do with all the canopy metalwork, certainly the front quarter look-down views should be great in AH. Pilot wounds might be a problem though - its glass from the waist up :uhoh
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
It'll be cool to have the gaps in the planeset start to really fill in.. One thing this would fill in on top of a historical gap is the fighter-bomber gap.  The A20 is on the edge of dogfight worthy bombers, and Attackers like the mossie and 110 are at the edge of heavy fighters.  It'll make a nice continuous spectrum.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »
Holmes I don't thinkthe Beaufighter will have a worse view then the 109s or the 38s from the cockpit.

There are three large panels of glass the Pilot sits between.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
Holmes I don't think the Beaufighter will have a worse view then the 109s or the 38s from the cockpit.

exactly ;)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2009, 10:39:46 PM »
And for tonite a nicely weathered Beaufighter flying out of Malta.  Those Beaus got around :)  Note the field mod bomb racks for carrying 250 pounders on this kite.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »
And an old favorite.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2009, 05:43:49 AM »
410 should come first. Becuase it is sexier than the beuafighter

As if BRING IN THIS AUSSIE ICON!!!!!!!!!!!! then i might actually attack ground targets
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2009, 05:50:59 AM »
fudgums how dare you!

Beau before luftwaffe junk anyday
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2009, 06:01:15 AM »
I reckon HTC will add both the Beau and 410, because it would be such a kick bellybutton matchup.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you