Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 200980 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2009, 09:56:51 AM »
Encrypted?
Yeah pass word to activate it each time you want to view it. Limited number of pages that can printed as well as no ability to forward cut paste & so on. One thing I did not know that it carried a drop tank.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2009, 07:54:52 PM »
Can't take screenies?

There might be a manual in the www.naa.gov.au files.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2009, 10:11:08 PM »
Yeah pass word to activate it each time you want to view it. Limited number of pages that can printed as well as no ability to forward cut paste & so on. One thing I did not know that it carried a drop tank.

DAP MK 21 was essentially a License built Mk X.  A nice image of an X with rockets and a DT
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline ShrkBite

• Copper Member
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2009, 11:21:33 PM »
do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do itdo it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2009, 01:35:16 AM »
I understand it would be used in scenarios, but don't we need other planes more? An early war German bomber is needed. The Japanese and Russian planesets need to be filled out.

I agree that the Beaufighter should be available in AH, just not before other planes. Right now we have planes that are very similar to it like the mossie, A20, B25 and Boston.

In my mind, substituting a B25 or A20 for a Beaufighter is more acceptable than subbing an A6M5 in place of a Ki43 or JU88 for a HE 111.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2009, 02:18:04 AM »
Fianna we've run many scenarios without the Beaufighter unfortunately.

The Beaufighter fought in all theaters of WWII.  That is why many of us have been asking for the Beau.

Japanese and Russian aircraft did not fly in all theaters of the War.  Neither did the LW for that matter.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 02:19:37 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2009, 03:17:32 AM »
In my mind, substituting a B25 or A20 for a Beaufighter is more acceptable than subbing an A6M5 in place of a Ki43 or JU88 for a HE 111.

Ju88 has never been subbed in for an He111.  They served side by side.  Yes, the He111 would be nice, but it is just another early war German bomber, like the Ju88.

Well, maybe Battle of France scenarios.  Those are rare though due to significant numbers of missing airframes for it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2009, 03:27:41 AM »
Ju88 has never been subbed in for an He111. 

So the Battle of Brit scenarios are ok with just the Ju88? Even tho the Ju88s don't allow intercepting fighters more than one pass on it before they fall hopelessly behind? It is subbing for the He111 and the Do17, the BoB wasn't flown with just Ju88s. I am sure some of the He111/Do17 KG Gruppen represented in our scenarios were flying Ju88s historically.

That said, add the Beau, the more the merrier. Everything will be added eventually...

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2009, 04:16:52 AM »
That isn't subbing.  Subbing means using an inappropriate unit to represent appropriate units that we don't have.  That is simply having holes in the BoB set.  The He111 will not be significantly easier to catch than the Ju88 as it is only slightly slower.  That problem is caused by bombers flying at full throttle whereas in reality they had to use cruise settings.

Yes, having the He111 and Do17 would make it better, but you can't pretend that adding the He111 is adding something that the German set doesn't already have, an early war bomber.  It does have one.

As to poor fitting subs, I remember the Typhoon being subbed for the Beaufighter in a Mediterranean scenario.  That was a mess.  Now it would be the Mosquito, but even that would overperform by a long shot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:18:35 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2009, 04:22:19 AM »
The He111 will not be significantly easier to catch than the Ju88 as it is only slightly slower. 

A few miles per hour can make a huge difference, more so when the speed is close to what the fighters operate at.

That problem is caused by bombers flying at full throttle whereas in reality they had to use cruise settings.

No argument there, but it is impossible to enforce a speed limit on anyone in a scenario.

That said, I'd love to argue with you further but we need our own thread so we don't muck up the Beau thread.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2009, 07:02:47 AM »
Can't take screenies?

There might be a manual in the www.naa.gov.au files.
No to screenies.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2009, 07:12:51 AM »
DAP MK 21 was essentially a License built Mk X.  A nice image of an X with rockets and a DT
(Image removed from quote.)
First picture I have seen of a Beau drop tank Thank you for that. Also per the manual no torpedo listed for the MK-21 yet I know I have read that it did carry torps in other articles? Also the they could use a third internal fuel tank if they took the 50 Cal's out of the wings. For the observer the rear bottom part of the plane just behind the bubble canopy was an escape hatch. I always wondered how they got out.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »
First picture I have seen of a Beau drop tank Thank you for that. Also per the manual no torpedo listed for the MK-21 yet I know I have read that it did carry torps in other articles? Also the they could use a third internal fuel tank if they took the 50 Cal's out of the wings. For the observer the rear bottom part of the plane just behind the bubble canopy was an escape hatch. I always wondered how they got out.

Lyric,

my info shows that the torpedo capability was deleted from the 21, i've never seen any reference to it, but I'll keep looking.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2009, 02:02:26 PM »
Talk about hard on Axis shipping.  I also have a picture from the cokpit of a Beau launching Rockets at a Sub.

- The Flying Circus -

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
 :aok :aok
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"