Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 203080 times)

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #210 on: February 25, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »
I don't see the reason for adding it before other planes. I think other planes would be used more... both in scenarios and in the MA. Did it serve in every theater? Ya, it did, but so did the PBY Catalina (and there have got to be others). Being able to fill a void is, at least in my opinion, more important than serving in all theaters.

What would it really be used for? Low level attacks on shipping seems to be the most common response after reading this thread. This leads to the question of who is going to attack ships at low level?

In the MA's it's suicide unless the CV is undefended or you're fighting the barges. If someone wants to hunt down and attack derelict CV groups or AI controlled barges, I guess that's fine, I just see the population of players wanting to do that as very small. I guess it would be useful to take down towns in the EW arena.

In scenarios (granted, I haven't flown in a lot of scenarios), I don't see it getting much use either. Will it get 6 pilots per frame? 8? What convoys is it going to attack? Will it be used to attack CV groups? Will it attack ground targets? It's not going to be used as a nightfighter. Is it expected to survive when doing just over 300 mph on the deck?

I'm not saying not to add it, it definitely should be added. I just don't see why we need another twin-engined (early war) allied attack aircraft more than other planes. I still think German bombers, and Japanese and Russian planes of all types should be given priority until we have a more well-rounded selection of planes in the hangar.

Just my $0.02.

Offline SKYGUNS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #211 on: February 25, 2009, 10:23:04 PM »
i think AH found a new plane on there list, many people seem to like it. I know i do

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #212 on: February 25, 2009, 10:52:27 PM »
I don't see the reason for adding it before other planes. I think other planes would be used more... both in scenarios and in the MA. Did it serve in every theater? Ya, it did, but so did the PBY Catalina (and there have got to be others). Being able to fill a void is, at least in my opinion, more important than serving in all theaters.

What would it really be used for? Low level attacks on shipping seems to be the most common response after reading this thread. This leads to the question of who is going to attack ships at low level?

In the MA's it's suicide unless the CV is undefended or you're fighting the barges. If someone wants to hunt down and attack derelict CV groups or AI controlled barges, I guess that's fine, I just see the population of players wanting to do that as very small. I guess it would be useful to take down towns in the EW arena.

In scenarios (granted, I haven't flown in a lot of scenarios), I don't see it getting much use either. Will it get 6 pilots per frame? 8? What convoys is it going to attack? Will it be used to attack CV groups? Will it attack ground targets? It's not going to be used as a nightfighter. Is it expected to survive when doing just over 300 mph on the deck?

I'm not saying not to add it, it definitely should be added. I just don't see why we need another twin-engined (early war) allied attack aircraft more than other planes. I still think German bombers, and Japanese and Russian planes of all types should be given priority until we have a more well-rounded selection of planes in the hangar.

Just my $0.02.

Outside of adding anything latewar uber, no plane that is added to AH is going to get a ton of use outside of scenarios.  That's just the way of AH.  I'm all for adding any birds that would help the scenario world.  Right now the Beau is a huge interest for me historically so I'm going with it.  I see a lot of use for it in scenarios or FSOs, but that's just me...and Hajo....and a few others :)

As for survivability.  That's what it did down low.  It's speed on the deck and it's low alt flying was how it survived whether it be against Zekes in the PTO, 109s in the MTO or 190s in the ETO.  It's nothing uber, that's for sure, but I'd fly it :)

Whether we ever get it isn't up to me, but I figure it can't hurt to share a little history while I'm learning :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #213 on: February 25, 2009, 11:13:32 PM »
Dan me Lad I couldn't have explained it better  ;)
- The Flying Circus -

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: February 26, 2009, 08:47:12 AM »
Dap-MK-21 manual.
I have found a way around all the road blocks I will post pages as I get around to it until done here are a few.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #215 on: February 26, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »
Came across tonight during my random wanderings of the web.

http://www.tailwheel.nl/b/bristolbeaufighter/index.html

http://www.burrowes.org/FamilyTree/E.F.G.Burrowes_LogBook/extras/Beaufighter-Manual/

I also found the 2nd link as a .pdf if anyone's interested just pm me and I can email it to.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:55:42 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline geo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #216 on: February 26, 2009, 11:14:41 PM »
yes the beau would be  a  fantastic addition to this game. keep up the good work on the  research front   

also  found  few more  cockpit pictures on this   site

DAP Beaufighter 21 In Detail by Brett Green   http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/beau21referecebg_1.htm

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:43:35 PM by geo »
Beaufighter ...  Yes please

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2009, 07:59:46 AM »
More of DAP MK-21 manual.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
Lyric,

my info shows that the torpedo capability was deleted from the 21, i've never seen any reference to it, but I'll keep looking.
No wonder I was wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufighter Beaufighter Mk 21
The Australian-made DAP Beaufighter. Changes included Hercules CVII engines, a dihedral tailplane, four 20 mm in the nose, four Browning .50 in the wings and the capacity to carry eight five-inch High-Velocity Aircraft Rockets (HVAR), two 250 lb bombs, two 500 lb bombs and one Mk13 torpedo.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2009, 10:30:53 AM »
No wonder I was wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufighter Beaufighter Mk 21
The Australian-made DAP Beaufighter. Changes included Hercules CVII engines, a dihedral tailplane, four 20 mm in the nose, four Browning .50 in the wings and the capacity to carry eight five-inch High-Velocity Aircraft Rockets (HVAR), two 250 lb bombs, two 500 lb bombs and one Mk13 torpedo.

Far be it from me to contradict Wiki, :)

However my book,  "The Beaufort, Beaufighter & Mosquito, in Australian Service" states...  144 major modifications applied... beaufighter 21... the most obivous.. the deletion of the torpedo caring gear.... the ability to carry a 2000lb bomb in its place.

I cant say more on the subject.

except after I posted above, I looked over the page, there is a copy of the performance  trials. Beaufighter 21, under the catagories and loading, there are 4 sections. Attack Bomber, RP Strafer, Torpedo Bomber, and Long Range Strafer.. The Torpedo Bomber section is blank. So I would be 99% sure it didn't carry them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:36:01 AM by FTJR »
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
Great film to add to you gents hopeful wish:

Make sure you look at it in HD and fullscreen, it's beautiful.  :D

:salute

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: February 27, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »
Ok....seems I'm collecting Pilots Manuals for the Beaufighter. 

I've recently obtained an original Beau Pilots Manual and I will post some data on the....

Beaufighter TFX

Amazing aircraft to say the least.

BTW Lyric.....I don't recognize a Wiki as a reliable source of information.

Methinks with the info posted on the Beaufighter in this thread HTC can just about create the entire Beaufighter series  :aok
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:55:44 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #222 on: February 28, 2009, 12:27:39 AM »
The torpedo gear was deleted on Aussie built Beaus.  They never carried torps in the Pacific.  They did lug bombs, and as of November 44, carried rockets when needed.  Torbeaus did operate in the MTO and ETO
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2009, 12:41:37 AM »
Dan....the picture you posted a few pages back got me laughing.  The one with about 30 Beaus hitting a convoy. 

Almost in the middle of the picture there is a lone Bomb LOLOLOLOL.  The damned thing looks like it has a mind of its' own!

It appears higher then a lot of Beaus below it....looks like it is trying to figure which way it should go!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #224 on: February 28, 2009, 12:50:14 AM »
Dan....the picture you posted a few pages back got me laughing.  The one with about 30 Beaus hitting a convoy. 

Almost in the middle of the picture there is a lone Bomb LOLOLOLOL.  The damned thing looks like it has a mind of its' own!

It appears higher then a lot of Beaus below it....looks like it is trying to figure which way it should go!

I think it's actually a barrage balloon.  There are a number of photos showing them and captions mention barrage balloons as a common sight over convoys.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters