Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 201086 times)

Offline chewie86

• Nickel Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2009, 05:26:21 AM »
not better than a He-111  :noid
Lube & Shame "peneduro"
My AH2 videos
SDL SEASON 1 Champions:
Loose Deuce
, ~Black Leather & Pink Slippers~

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2009, 06:54:04 AM »
i wish theyd just add it already

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #287 on: March 31, 2009, 07:51:14 AM »
not better than a He-111  :noid

he-111 is merely 303 fodder for spit and hurri mk'1s.    I look forward to when it does get added and the Allies might have half a chance of winning a BofB scenario.  :t
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »
he-111 is merely 303 fodder for spit and hurri mk'1s.    I look forward to when it does get added and the Allies might have half a chance of winning a BofB scenario.  :t
No they won't.  As long as bombers fly at full throttle and .303s are as weak as they are, then the Brits will always lose.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2009, 10:12:11 AM »
No they won't.  As long as bombers fly at full throttle and .303s are as weak as they are, then the Brits will always lose.

I thought the RAF won a BoB scenario a few years back?  Anyway, fighters fly at full throttle all the time too, so there's nothing to that argument.

As for .303s, the problem isn't how they're modeled, it's the damage model for the aircraft.  I hate to bring it up again, but in Il-2 it's not so difficult to set the He-111's or Ju-88's fuel tanks on fire with .303s, so long as you get in a good burst to the wing.  That's something you can't even do with a 30mm cannon in AH.  Although slower, the He-111 gunners seem to have a better range of fire than in the Ju-88; you have to get more lateral separation in order to set up another guns pass.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »
Fighters spent almost all of their combat time at full throttle in reality.  Bombers did not.  That is a very asymmetrical comparison.

I agree about the reason why .303s are so weak.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2009, 11:11:53 AM »
Fighters spent almost all of their combat time at full throttle in reality.  Bombers did not.  That is a very asymmetrical comparison.

Right, in other words, they didn't climb to altitude and vector to intercept at full throttle. ;)  That we do this in AH is a huge difference.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
The most fuel efficient climb setting is max sustained power, this is true for both bombers and fighters.

As to using cruise settings once at altitude, yes, but with the note that British fighters in the Battle of Britain didn't spend much time in cruise on transit or patrol.  They were usually being vecored into the incoming raid, a time critical activity that was once again done at MIL power.  The Germans had to use cruise settings more because they had to reach the combat area as, unlike the British, they weren't starting in it.  The situations were reversed fron 1941 through 1945 of course.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2009, 01:26:54 AM »
Just cause it's in color :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2009, 02:47:44 AM »
“before we had straightened out, Jacko called urgently: ‘ Hard starboard, there’s another only a few hundred yards away!’

I hauled the Beau into a tight turn when Jacko called  ‘ look out, he’s only 200 yards ahead and slightly above. You’re closing too fast’.

‘ Christ, I’ve got him,’ I yelled.  Above me in a tight turn was another ME 110, and at the speed at which we were travelling we looked as though we were going to ram him.  I eased back the stick, put the sights on him, and fired at the point-blank range of about 50 yards.  There was a blinding flash as the Me exploded in my face.”

Bob Braham, No 141 Squadron
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #295 on: May 11, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »
Well!   I'm waiting!   (Judge Snail in Caddyshack)

I'm waiting for the Beaufighter!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #296 on: May 12, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
nice bump

waiting
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #297 on: May 12, 2009, 07:34:23 AM »
Right, in other words, they didn't climb to altitude and vector to intercept at full throttle. ;)  That we do this in AH is a huge difference.

didnt usually climb at full throttle, I'll go further and say that they never climbed to alt and vectored to target using full WEP settings as we do in AH.

another great beau pic btw. dam those exhausts are ugly!
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #298 on: June 24, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »
Shameless bump.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #299 on: June 24, 2009, 04:22:06 PM »
Anyone have any books or websites on the Beaufighter's service in the CBI?

The forgotten war seems more and more forgotten and every time I look something up about the CBI, there's always something new that I've never even heard of.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.