Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 203070 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »
If it's true, and the Beaufighter is put into AH before or with the WW1 add-on/update, it would be the FIRST plane I take to the air upon my reactivation.  I think a little CV hunting would be in order.  Granted, I'll be nothing but a black poof cloud over it, but the satisfaction of making an attack run on a destroyer would make it all the more worth it! :x  The question is, would it be perked?  If so, I'm stuck till I have the perks for it. :lol  It would be an interesting sight to see, an A-20 in a dogfight with a Beaufighter.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #346 on: February 10, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »
I doubt if it will be perked.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #347 on: February 10, 2010, 01:12:32 AM »
It's not some uber bird.  Just one that does a lot of things that fit into the AH world.  And it has lots of history to it which makes it even better :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #348 on: February 10, 2010, 01:23:53 AM »
It won't be perked, I'd bet Mensa's left testicle on that one.

It doesn't have the performance nor will it replace any of the current birds in the planeset from their current my favored roles.

Then again, not everyone flies the biggest/fastest/most armed airplane.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2010, 01:26:10 AM »
If it's true, and the Beaufighter is put into AH before or with the WW1 add-on/update, it would be the FIRST plane I take to the air upon my reactivation.  I think a little CV hunting would be in order.  Granted, I'll be nothing but a black poof cloud over it, but the satisfaction of making an attack run on a destroyer would make it all the more worth it! :x  The question is, would it be perked?  If so, I'm stuck till I have the perks for it. :lol  It would be an interesting sight to see, an A-20 in a dogfight with a Beaufighter.

I used this quote a while ago, but it applies.  PTO encounter.  A20 and Beau on the same team :)

The Beau was a 30 Squadron RAAF bird

"For nearly 20 minutes the two planes screwed and twisted crazily as the Beaufighter scooted inland with the Zero pilot trying frantically to bring his gunsight to bear.  Then down from the sky above roared an American A-20 with guns blazing.  The Zero faltered as bullets ripped into it, turned over and dived into the ground.  Although slightly wounded, Hughes(The Beaufighter pilot) brought his bullet ridden aircraft home safely."
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #350 on: February 10, 2010, 01:52:07 AM »
It was a bit of a stupid question on my part. :o  Meh.  I'll ask them now and again. :lol

Beaufighter vs Mosquito, another line up to see. :x  I'm kinda curious what the default skin on it would be.  Would it have the torpedo option, or will it be denied it?

I don't see why they would not allow it to carry the torpedo.  Yes, chances are people will still up a formation of 88's instead, but not EVERYONE would.  There are times I will up a Kate just for the ell of it, plus it's fun. :aok
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #351 on: February 10, 2010, 02:19:53 AM »
It was a bit of a stupid question on my part. :o  Meh.  I'll ask them now and again. :lol

Beaufighter vs Mosquito, another line up to see. :x  I'm kinda curious what the default skin on it would be.  Would it have the torpedo option, or will it be denied it?

I don't see why they would not allow it to carry the torpedo.  Yes, chances are people will still up a formation of 88's instead, but not EVERYONE would.  There are times I will up a Kate just for the ell of it, plus it's fun. :aok

If you get a chance read through the thread here.  There are different Beau variants.  Only one carried the torp, and that was the Mk X better known as the Torbeau. The earlier VI was the first of the Beau's used for daylight fighter bomber work and could carry bombs.  The Mk X could carry bombs, torps or rockets.  Not all at one time obviously.  The Aussies produced the Mk 21 which carried rockets and had 4 50 cals in the wings instead of the 6 303s carried on English built Beaus. 

If we ever get the Beau, and I got my wish, it would be the VI with no gun for the Nav, 4 20s and  6 303s, the Mk X with options for rockets, bombs, torps and gun for the Nav. 4 20s too.  Most Mk Xs didn't carry the 6 303s as the space was used for fuel tanks instead.  No formations though as it's not a bomber, but fighter bomber.  You want to torp some ship,  you gotta have friends to fly along :)

And if really lucky, the Mk 21 with 4 20s and 4 50s along with rockets for the Aussies.

I'd spend my time in a Beau Mk VI
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #352 on: February 10, 2010, 03:00:42 AM »
Beaufighter Mk VIC "Torbeau"
Beaufighter Mk VI (ITF)
Beaufighter TF Mk X
Beaufighter Mk 21

These 4 are listed in wiki as a Torpedo Fighter.  So I'm not so sure about the Mk X being the only one able to carry a torpedo.  But I must digress as there are many a person here who has a few books on this plane, and I will likely get cut to shreds on this one. :noid  :lol

I would have to agree though, you would do well to take friends along to torpedo a ship. :aok  But sometimes, it's just you vs the world. :airplane:
And sometimes, I do that in a Kate. :D
HiTech

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2010, 03:12:00 AM »
If you get a chance read through the thread here.  There are different Beau variants.  Only one carried the torp, and that was the Mk X better known as the Torbeau. The earlier VI was the first of the Beau's used for daylight fighter bomber work and could carry bombs.  The Mk X could carry bombs, torps or rockets.  Not all at one time obviously.  The Aussies produced the Mk 21 which carried rockets and had 4 50 cals in the wings instead of the 6 303s carried on English built Beaus. 

If we ever get the Beau, and I got my wish, it would be the VI with no gun for the Nav, 4 20s and  6 303s, the Mk X with options for rockets, bombs, torps and gun for the Nav. 4 20s too.  Most Mk Xs didn't carry the 6 303s as the space was used for fuel tanks instead.  No formations though as it's not a bomber, but fighter bomber.  You want to torp some ship,  you gotta have friends to fly along :)

And if really lucky, the Mk 21 with 4 20s and 4 50s along with rockets for the Aussies.

I'd spend my time in a Beau Mk VI
Don't forget these little bundles of joy as well. :aok

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »
Wow, thanks Dan
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #355 on: February 10, 2010, 09:35:07 AM »
Beaufighter Mk VIC "Torbeau"
Beaufighter Mk VI (ITF)
Beaufighter TF Mk X
Beaufighter Mk 21

These 4 are listed in wiki as a Torpedo Fighter.  So I'm not so sure about the Mk X being the only one able to carry a torpedo.  But I must digress as there are many a person here who has a few books on this plane, and I will likely get cut to shreds on this one. :noid  :lol

I would have to agree though, you would do well to take friends along to torpedo a ship. :aok  But sometimes, it's just you vs the world. :airplane:
And sometimes, I do that in a Kate. :D

Being capable and doing it were two different things :)

In practice it was the Mk X that was used as the Torbeau.  The Mk 21 never carried them, nor did the VI that I've ever found.  As an example.  The Dalachy Strike Wing had a number of Beau Squadrons.  One specialized in Torps, one with Rockets and the other suppressing flak, so you had the Flak Beau's go in first, the RocketBeaus second and the Torbeaus third. Those were all Mk X Beaus at that point.  The MTO Beau's were VIs and Xs.  The PTO/CBI Beaus were mainly VIs with the Aussies adding the Mk 21 towards the end of the war.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #356 on: February 10, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »
I was told that only one, the Mk X, carried the torp; which is why I posted the 4 variants.  At that time, i was a bit tired and likely just misread what he meant.  I know little of it but would still like to see it in AH because I know enough about it, that it was used in anti-shipping and anti-U-Boat roles a lot.

My question now is, how is it going to be flown in the MA's?  Just another base/town killer?  Will people actually up in numbers to take down a CV if one is spotted?  I very rarely see missions aimed at taking down a CV, but it would be nice to see that as the first mission for the Beaufighter.  Even without the torpedo, it will still put out a bit of damage plus it might be a bit more survivable vs doing a torpedo run.  Somehow, I doubt that will be the first mission that the Beaufighter will be used in.  More than likely, when it's added, the first thing people will do is mission horde a base with it.  Still, will be a sight to see so many Beau's in the air.
HiTech

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #357 on: February 10, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
I was told that only one, the Mk X, carried the torp; which is why I posted the 4 variants.  At that time, i was a bit tired and likely just misread what he meant.  I know little of it but would still like to see it in AH because I know enough about it, that it was used in anti-shipping and anti-U-Boat roles a lot.

My question now is, how is it going to be flown in the MA's?  Just another base/town killer?  Will people actually up in numbers to take down a CV if one is spotted?  I very rarely see missions aimed at taking down a CV, but it would be nice to see that as the first mission for the Beaufighter.  Even without the torpedo, it will still put out a bit of damage plus it might be a bit more survivable vs doing a torpedo run.  Somehow, I doubt that will be the first mission that the Beaufighter will be used in.  More than likely, when it's added, the first thing people will do is mission horde a base with it.  Still, will be a sight to see so many Beau's in the air.
It will have it's place & most likely will find a roll that it never did in real life just like a number of other things in the game.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #358 on: February 10, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »
<--- tapping foot and waiting almost patiently.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #359 on: February 10, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
<--- tapping foot and waiting almost patiently.
twiddling thumbs
<----
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.