Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 200981 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #375 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:43 AM »
heres a site with a 21 and some other interesting Australian restorations

http://www.ausairpower.net/aarg.html

(Image removed from quote.)
Well some personal pics I took of that Beau while back home in Melbourne at Moorabbin. This is only the Beau pics the others I might post some other place.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2010, 09:56:18 AM »
Thanks mate, I just love ww2 colour shots, just brings me a little bit closer to the time.
Here are a few then.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2010, 10:03:32 AM »
I'm hoping for two models the Mk X and the XXI...well let's make it three the Mk VI also.

Do you think I'm being to picky?
I would like to see four models. I,V,X,XXI That would cover all the arenas quite well I think.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »
Great Pics Lyric thanks!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »
I would like to see four models. I,V,X,XXI That would cover all the arenas quite well I think.

Would you agree that the VI and X would be the priorities as I do?  The I didn't do much daylight work and the 21 is much the same as the X but Aussie produced and with the 4 50s instead of 303s.  I'd like the 21 but the I is last on my list.  Personally the VI is first as it was the fastest and more of a fighter then a bomber.  The X did most of the hauling of ord.  Just give me 4 20s and 6 303s and I'll be fine :)

Great pics btw. I figured you'd come through on the 21s  :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #380 on: February 11, 2010, 12:51:35 PM »
Would you agree that the VI and X would be the priorities as I do?  The I didn't do much daylight work and the 21 is much the same as the X but Aussie produced and with the 4 50s instead of 303s.  I'd like the 21 but the I is last on my list.  Personally the VI is first as it was the fastest and more of a fighter then a bomber.  The X did most of the hauling of ord.  Just give me 4 20s and 6 303s and I'll be fine :)

Great pics btw. I figured you'd come through on the 21s  :aok
Will have to read up some more on the other MK'S VI for the V yeah if it is more of a fighter version I would trade the V for it.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #381 on: February 11, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »
Something that's brought up a few times in Parnell's book is that the 20mm didn't have any tracer ammo, anyone know why that was?

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #382 on: February 11, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »
Will have to read up some more on the other MK'S VI for the V yeah if it is more of a fighter version I would trade the V for it.

THink you got your numbers mixed up.  the Beaufighter V was the prototype built with the turret.  Only 2 built and the project abandoned.  The VI was the main production version prior to the X.  They were the two main day flying Beaus.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #383 on: February 11, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
THink you got your numbers mixed up.  the Beaufighter V was the prototype built with the turret.  Only 2 built and the project abandoned.  The VI was the main production version prior to the X.  They were the two main day flying Beaus.
Maybe I was thinking of the VIC then as I said I need to read up on the other Mks a bit more :)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #384 on: February 11, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
It is truly amazing what an auto manufacturer can do.  As I said before...Bristol was a carriage, then an automobile manufacturing company.

Great minds rule!  I believe they have been absorbed by a British Aerospace Company.  Could it be BAC?  ;)
- The Flying Circus -

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #385 on: February 11, 2010, 10:00:08 PM »
It is truly amazing what an auto manufacturer can do.  As I said before...Bristol was a carriage, then an automobile manufacturing company.

Great minds rule!  I believe they have been absorbed by a British Aerospace Company.  Could it be BAC?  ;)

After all the convolutions its now  BAe, I believe Hajo.

As to the Marks. I would think the VIc and X, would be cover the majority of scenario's the 21 would be the icing on the cake.

p.s thanks for the pics Lyric.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline RASTER

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #386 on: February 11, 2010, 11:33:28 PM »
Didn't the pilots manual indicate aerobatic maneuvers were not allowed.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2010, 12:32:17 AM »
Didn't the pilots manual indicate aerobatic maneuvers were not allowed.

"Intentional" aerobatics and spinning.  That doesn't mean they didn't do it :)

Some of the descriptions of the Beau flying in the stuff I've read, certainly includes doing things the Pilot's Notes wouldn't approve.  Somehow combat changed the rules if needed.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline RASTER

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #388 on: February 12, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »
"Intentional" aerobatics and spinning.  That doesn't mean they didn't do it

Sadly, a great aircraft which will never be modeled well because of the statistical data thats available. The ones I've flown on line had great climb and the guns were beyond belief.

Noticed the preceeding picture of the engine cylinders. That orange crust on the top of the aluminum cylinder head, is that burnt gasoline octane.????
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:46:42 PM by RASTER »

Offline Baggy

• Copper Member
« Reply #389 on: February 12, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »
They're still making cars - all handbuilt. I want a Blenheim Speedster! I used to drive to work past their showroom in my Skoda. Dream on!!

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/index2.htm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:14:57 PM by Baggy »