Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 203022 times)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #450 on: March 02, 2010, 09:20:32 PM »
All right, no one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle. Even... and I want to make this absolutely clear... even if they do say, "Jehovah".

:lol
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #451 on: March 02, 2010, 11:34:47 PM »
Phatzo, yes I got it, Im through 30 squadron's chapter, well into 31's chapter now. Very interesting stuff.

Dan, you always mention 30 squadron,  I dont think I've ever seen you mention 31, could be wrong about that though, but from my reading 31 had a lot more action, your thoughts?

Everyone.. Fencer wears the sign of the devil in his signature.. Stone him ! :)

30 got into the game first in New Guiniea, and had Joe Newman as one of it's pilots.  He was the brother of Spit XII driver Barney Newman.  That's where my Beau interest started and 30 Squadron  Both Joe and Barney were KIA sadly.  I have the book written by one of the 31 Squadron CO's William Mann.  "Search & Destroy".  A good read too.  Seems like much of the good Beau writing comes from the Aussies.  I came across a 1943 novel written by an Aussie and published in Australia called "Beaufighter" by Reginald Kirby.  It's dedicated to "The boys of the New Guiniea Beaufighter Squadron, who made this possible."  That is 30 squadron as well.

Interestingly the best of the ETO Beaufighter books is the one on 455 Squadron, which was also Aussies.  Funny how that works :)

So I want 30 Squadron, Beaufighter VIF A19-132 for mine in AH should the day come.  That's the one Joe Newman was lost in.  Haven't nailed down the individual aircraft letter yet but working on it
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #452 on: March 03, 2010, 02:47:32 AM »
All right, no one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle. Even... and I want to make this absolutely clear... even if they do say, "Jehovah".

Ooh He said "Jehovah" !
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #453 on: March 03, 2010, 03:02:42 AM »
Photo of Joe Newman.  He ended up losing an engine and ditching in September 43.  They were seen in their rafts and it is speculated they were captured then executed by the Japanese.

Beaufighter A19-132 "Z"

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #454 on: March 03, 2010, 03:14:27 AM »
30 got into the game first in New Guiniea, and had Joe Newman as one of it's pilots.  He was the brother of Spit XII driver Barney Newman. 

So I want 30 Squadron, Beaufighter VIF A19-132 for mine in AH should the day come.  That's the one Joe Newman was lost in.  Haven't nailed down the individual aircraft letter yet but working on it

Yes I remember you mentioning that when the Spit8 came out. I think in regards to the Code Letter, we should enlist the help of Scherf, as he seems to have mastered the Australian National Library website.

Cheers
Raw Prawns      

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #455 on: March 03, 2010, 03:15:11 AM »
Lol well scrub the Scherf reference:) Nice find.
Raw Prawns      

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #456 on: March 03, 2010, 04:32:32 AM »

Ooh He said "Jehovah" !
stone him, stone him.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #457 on: March 05, 2010, 07:18:30 AM »
Is he not stoned already?
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #458 on: March 08, 2010, 01:14:11 AM »
Interesting comments from the 600 Squadron history regarding the Merlin Beau Mk II. They flew Mk If, Mk IIf and VIf from 41-45

"The Beaufighter is a great aircraft, the Merlin is a great engine.  Together they are a great disaster."

According to W/C Pearson, who commanded 600 Squadron in 41-42.

"The Beaufighter IIf was an unnecessary and dangerous aeroplane, and one that no one had ever asked for.  It seems it was ordered because the Rolls Royce Merlin engines which supplied it's power gave more at high altitude than the Hercules for which the Beaufighter was designed.  It was intended to counter a high level threat that never materialized.  The change of engines altered the center of gravity and made the aircraft unstable on the ground at low speeds.  This in turn gave it a tendency to swerve off to the right at take off and a coarse use of rudder was needed to keep it straight.  A very serious defect was known as "The Shimmy".  This was a violent vibration generated at the tail end of the aircraft after landing but extending to the whole fuselage."

F/S Spry joined 600 in September 41.  "The Beaufighter II was a recipe for disaster.  It swung violently on take off and landing.  Though I loved the Beau as an aircraft, I did not particularly like the Merlin Beaufighters."  During  his first months with the squadron he discovered other eccentricities of the Mk II.  No matter how the plane was trimmed, it would never fly straight and level hands off.

Needless to say it was not a popular bird.  So about that Beaufighter VIf :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #459 on: March 08, 2010, 04:57:21 AM »

Ooh He said "Jehovah" !

*Grab Giant Rock*
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #460 on: March 08, 2010, 12:51:05 PM »
Well you guys are truly scrooged now.  Raptor has eliminated this worthless piece of aluminum from the "aircraft poll".   We know that what he is doing will be the final say in all things aircraft.   :neener:  :cheers:

Time to start another lost cause.  :old:   Maybe you can start asking for it on a new "aircraft pole" which would make it about as useful as it ever was back in the day.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:52:38 PM by Fencer51 »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #461 on: March 08, 2010, 03:04:10 PM »
Never give up!  Never surrender!......er.....Beaufighter VIf please :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #462 on: March 08, 2010, 11:42:21 PM »
Dangit!

About six months ago I bought a Copy of Thunderbolt by Robt. Johnson.

Problem is I just received a copy of Beaufighters in the night about 417

squadron USAAF.  In Africa and the Med the 417th had Beaus given to them

by the Brits....without spare parts!  The 417th had a hack B25 that they used to

scour the Med looking for spare parts.  They had a rought time.

The dangit part is I've not got to the Johnson Book yet because of Beaufighters

in the night.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:44:58 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #463 on: March 09, 2010, 03:30:52 AM »
Well you guys are truly scrooged now.  Raptor has eliminated this worthless piece of aluminum from the "aircraft poll".   We know that what he is doing will be the final say in all things aircraft.   :neener:  :cheers:

Time to start another lost cause.  :old:   Maybe you can start asking for it on a new "aircraft pole" which would make it about as useful as it ever was back in the day.

Even if Raptor was HTC incarnate, and we end up with something else, it doesn't mean we have Lost. ! It will be just one of many battles, we will overcome !
Raw Prawns      

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #464 on: March 09, 2010, 10:52:06 PM »
I'm telling ya, the Beau and I were made for each other! :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters