Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 200926 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #495 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56:48 PM »
I can't see past the P-61, I try to locate the Bo, but my eyes won't track. ;)
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #496 on: March 21, 2010, 12:01:32 AM »
You are getting old, I sent you a link to that pic months ago.  Told you that you needed to road trip down and see it.  Such a completely worthless aircraft in amongst the finest in American Aviation is worth at least 30 secs as you walk past to the B-24.  :D  Besides the P-47D and P-38 are right on around to the left.  As well as a Fw-190D and Bf-109G... Oh and god's (and North American Aviation's) gift to combat aircraft the P-51D.  They even got a really cool A6M2 there which is right across from that twin engined thingee in the pic..   http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/090303-F-1234S-004.jpg

Because your eyesight is going, here is the link to it so you can get it full sized. 

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/061019-f-1234b-001.jpg

Oh and here is the gallery before they ruined it with substandard aircraft.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/050209-F-1234P-055.jpg

(Image removed from quote.)

Oughta have a "find the plane" contest with this picture.. anyone see the Fw-190?

When was that last picture taken?  I seem to remember a Niki beside the tail of the B-29 when we went last year
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #497 on: March 21, 2010, 04:32:02 AM »
When was that last picture taken?  I seem to remember a Niki beside the tail of the B-29 when we went last year
It is an old view from over head floor plan has been changed quite a bit.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #498 on: March 21, 2010, 08:45:02 AM »
Static I think.

ok thats the Duxford beau, as Guppy said it will be airworthy at some point :rock but its a long resto, details here:
http://fighter-collection.com/pages/aircraft/beaufighter/index.php
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #499 on: March 21, 2010, 01:00:57 PM »
It is an old view from over head floor plan has been changed quite a bit.

Its not too far off.  Its way more updated than the layout they had for many many many many years..  I love the fact they are also doing something other than just parking the planes randomly.  The grouping is better, the displays better (B-25 on CV deck, P-39 in Alaska).

I note the Beaufighter is missing as is the N1K2... but the rest of it is were I last saw it at..

Anyone find the Fw-190 yet?
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #500 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03:34 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

ok thats the Duxford beau, as Guppy said it will be airworthy at some point :rock but its a long resto, details here:
http://fighter-collection.com/pages/aircraft/beaufighter/index.php

I have a pic around here from 1999 at Duxford, don't think they are working too fast on that sucker.
Fencer

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #501 on: March 21, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »
Anyone find the Fw-190 yet?
Yes it is right here when I took it's picture a few weeks back.

Offline Fencer51

• Platinum Member
« Reply #502 on: March 22, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
Ahh no fair actually going there and looking.  :P
Fencer

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #503 on: March 23, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
Interesting artwork from the 39 Squadron history.  Nav compartment in a T Mk 10
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #504 on: March 24, 2010, 04:51:38 AM »
How resilient do you think the radials would be against the field ack in AH? In the mossie, it just has to go within visual range of the field and the radiator will be hit.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #505 on: March 24, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
How resilient do you think the radials would be against the field ack in AH? In the mossie, it just has to go within visual range of the field and the radiator will be hit.

That is because the Mossies have radial engines. Im pretty sure the Beau's engines would be tough, much like that of the Jug. We would have to see.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline pwnorris

• Zinc Member
« Reply #506 on: March 24, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
The Mossie has in-line engines like the P-51 and the Spitfire.  It gives them a nice narrow frontal area.  But, having that tight cowl requires the engines to be liquid cooled.  That is part of the weakness of these aircraft.  That's why a single .30 bullet could bring down a Mustang.

The Jug, as with the A-20 Havoc, uses radial engines.  No liquid cooling system to knock out.  The P-47 was known to keep flying even after the odd cylendar or two had been blown off. :aok  The Beaufighter would have this advantage.  The question is whether her engines were as capable as the R-2800.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #507 on: March 24, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »

27 Squadron which operated Beaus in the CBI were given some Mossies for testing in combat conditions.

It was slightly faster on the deck but had less firepower then the Beau with 4 303s vs 6 to go with the 4 20mm.  Quoting David Innes, a Beau driver with 27 Squadron.

"The first reaction of Beaufighter crews at Agartala was one of reservation, for the Mossie did not seem to have the airframe strength desirable for low level attacks where there was always the risk of aircraft hitting objects such as trees during attacks."

"Three other aircraft had lucky escapes.  Sgt Gunn hit a tree at Pyawbwe, causing extensive damage to the starboard wing.  F/O Hassel hit unseen trip wires at Gwa Bay which damaged the port undercarriage door, the exhaust and airscrew, while Sgt. Hartness 'collected' an iron rod that was protruding from the top of  a pagoda, which wrapped itself around the port wing, and effectively locked the aileron.  All three aircraft were flown back to Agartala and the fact they had been rather badly damaged indicates how tough were the Beaufighters.  One could only surmise what would have happend if the aircraft had been Mosquitos."

So at least in the low level ground attack role the Beau's were flying, there seemed to be some concerns. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #508 on: March 24, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
Dunno about the accuracy of their assessments there, Dan.  I've a photo of a Mossie 6 that had the cannons ripped from the aircraft when it collided with the mast of a U-Boat.  It did bring the German naval ensign back though.  It not all that unusual for Mossies to bring back souvenirs from sorties over the continent, most often vegetation, but sometimes man made things too.

As for the engines, well, like all radials they lack the radiators that the Mosquito's Merlins require, so pretty much think of a Spitfire compared to an F4U when comparing the Mossie to the Beaufighter, as far as the engines are concerned.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #509 on: March 24, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »
Dunno about the accuracy of their assessments there, Dan.  I've a photo of a Mossie 6 that had the cannons ripped from the aircraft when it collided with the mast of a U-Boat.  It did bring the German naval ensign back though.  It not all that unusual for Mossies to bring back souvenirs from sorties over the continent, most often vegetation, but sometimes man made things too.

As for the engines, well, like all radials they lack the radiators that the Mosquito's Merlins require, so pretty much think of a Spitfire compared to an F4U when comparing the Mossie to the Beaufighter, as far as the engines are concerned.

Only specific quote I could find :)

Obviously this is from one Squadron operating in the CBI.  I do think it would be reasonable to conclude, like the Mustang vs Jug in ground attack, that the surviability in a radial bird like the Beau was higher in that specific, on the deck role. 

The easiest comparison I suppose would be Mossie vs Beau losses in the runs to Norway against the shipping.  Banff vs Dalachy or something like that.  Waiting on a book on the Strike Wings right now, so maybe I can check that out.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters