Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 202893 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #510 on: March 24, 2010, 11:25:17 PM »
Ahh no fair actually going there and looking.  :P

That's why I didn't post where it was at :P

Here's my picture, lyric...I think yo had a better camera :/

To stay on topic:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:29:30 PM by Banshee7 »
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #511 on: March 27, 2010, 01:59:24 AM »
Fnished a nice Book tonite.

"Looking backwards over Burma-Wartime Recollections of an RAF Beaufighter Navigator" by Dennis Spencer DFC.  2009 publication so a new one.  A great read covering 211 Squadron's part in the air war over Burma to fo with 177 and 27 squadrons.   Low level, more low level, bad weather, monsoons, rockets, flak, etc.

A good read for the Beaufighter junkies like myself.

Picked up the 404 Squadron RCAF history and it has a nice photo section on their time with the Beaufighter operating with the Dallachy Strike Wing.

Continuing the hunt for more Beaufighter information in print too!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #512 on: March 29, 2010, 11:26:23 PM »
You really are a junkie :)
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #513 on: March 30, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
You really are a junkie :)

Yep it's bad :)

They fought such a different war, in particular in the Pacific and CBI.  Weather a major player.  Low level ops.  Missions made up of 2-6 planes at most.  Not the ETO load up the mob and go stuff

I remember a night in the AvA way back when weather was present, low icon range, wind etc and it was a totally different challenge.  I keep imagining using the Beau in as much of a historical role as possible in the MA which would mean low level, long range, interdiction.  Find me trains, shipping, flak guns etc to use those rockets and 4 20mms on :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #514 on: March 30, 2010, 06:22:32 AM »
There's one called "No Hero, Just A Survivor" by a gent who was on Beaus in the Eastern Med, followed by Mossies in India and Burma. Might be worth a look, especially as it has a Mosquito on the cover!

Good 404 Sqn stuff here: http://www.404squadron.com/index.html

Excellent 211 Sqn stuff here: http://users.cyberone.com.au/clardo/

Both units ended up on the Mossie in the last throes of their war, hence my interest.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #515 on: March 30, 2010, 11:41:29 AM »
There's one called "No Hero, Just A Survivor" by a gent who was on Beaus in the Eastern Med, followed by Mossies in India and Burma. Might be worth a look, especially as it has a Mosquito on the cover!

Good 404 Sqn stuff here: http://www.404squadron.com/index.html

Excellent 211 Sqn stuff here: http://users.cyberone.com.au/clardo/

Both units ended up on the Mossie in the last throes of their war, hence my interest.

The 211 site lead me to Spencer's book :)

An interesting Mossie photo in the 404 squadron book shows a flight attacking a U-Boat in April 45. What's interesting is the rocket rail set up as it appears they have 4 rockets on each wing but in pairs one on top of the other so only 4 sets of rails.  Don't remember seeing it set up that way on before.  Guess I'll have to get the scanner going :)

The other book you mentioned is on my find it list :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #516 on: March 30, 2010, 11:46:48 AM »
iirc they used stacked RP-3 rockets on typhies - 4 on the top row, 2 on the bottom on each wing, so its possible.

yup, 12 rocket typhies :rock I can only imagine what the stacked rails did for its drag and maneuverability tho :uhoh
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #517 on: March 30, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »
The 2x2 rocket setup allowed the Mossies to carry both rockets and drop tanks at the same time, though for obvious reasons the tanks had to be dropped before the rockets could be fired. There was a also a flat piece of metal between the tanks and the rockets to prevent the drops from weathervaning into the rockets when the former were jettisoned.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #518 on: March 30, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »
Apparently this is Beaufighter guncam film:

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=52540

I believe the big jobbie coming under fire is a Cant Z.506, though it looks to have German markings.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #519 on: March 31, 2010, 12:12:17 AM »

I believe the big jobbie coming under fire is a Cant Z.506, though it looks to have German markings.

Those trees look awfully close!  Note the pilot had to pull up before nosing back down on his gun run :)

Love that Pathe site for WW2 gunfilm.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #520 on: March 31, 2010, 12:24:31 AM »
Yeah, sometimes I find myself watching the trees more than the target. "Dude, pull up! Uh, dude ... Dude! Pull UP!"

There's quite a lot of guncam stuff there. I've even seen one which sadly depicts a fatal friendly-fire attack on a Mossie.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #521 on: March 31, 2010, 12:31:02 AM »
Yeah, sometimes I find myself watching the trees more than the target. "Dude, pull up! Uh, dude ... Dude! Pull UP!"

There's quite a lot of guncam stuff there. I've even seen one which sadly depicts a fatal friendly-fire attack on a Mossie.

Saw that one too.  4th FG Mustangs in October 44 if I remember right. Painful to watch when you know the outcome is a downed mossie and two dead RAF flyers :(
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #522 on: March 31, 2010, 12:34:44 AM »
Wow the dreaded double post! :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:43:12 AM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #523 on: March 31, 2010, 07:25:36 AM »
Ok...I love you guys....but let's keep this on topic. 

Where the hell is the Beaufighter?   :bolt:
- The Flying Circus -

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #524 on: March 31, 2010, 08:37:44 AM »

Wow, great site, thans Scherf
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix