Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 202924 times)

Offline TheRhino

• Zinc Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #810 on: November 24, 2011, 01:52:50 AM »
What I don't understand is why the beaufighter wasn't in the original lineup? Like many people have said in this thread, it was in almost all theatres.  :headscratch:
"May the Air Force be with you"

TheHawk, C.O. 457th 'Grey Nurse' SQN RAAF (Currently Inactive due to slow internet :( )

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #811 on: November 24, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »
Post war & a target towing aircraft.

Most DAP 21's were all dark green that flew combat. A few exceptions though & very rare all white aircraft & bare metal.

Ah I did not know it was post war. ok so it wont be but I am a fan of bright colours on my AC. I fly the Niki in the orange, the spitsV with the blue and the 202 (no need to say which skin for this one lol).

Think of my post as more of a BUMP then  :aok

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #812 on: November 24, 2011, 02:51:26 AM »
The same could easily be said about the He-111.  While I don't like the idea TOO much, I am willing to bet we will see the Beau before we see the Heinkel.  Wouldn't hurt me really.  Always fun to have a new toy to litter the landscape with. :aok  I just hope there are shipping type targets to hit with her by then. :x
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #813 on: November 24, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
The same could easily be said about the He-111.  While I don't like the idea TOO much, I am willing to bet we will see the Beau before we see the Heinkel.  Wouldn't hurt me really.  Always fun to have a new toy to litter the landscape with. :aok  I just hope there are shipping type targets to hit with her by then. :x

Most likely not, Beaufighter was recently voted on and lost, It's going to be some time before it comes up again, I would guess the He-111 would be voted on sooner or later, however there's some other competition out there, russian bombers etc.
JG 52

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #814 on: November 24, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »
Most likely not, Beaufighter was recently voted on and lost, It's going to be some time before it comes up again, I would guess the He-111 would be voted on sooner or later, however there's some other competition out there, russian bombers etc.

The Beau is always a good contender in every vote, it gets beat out by only "Teh Uberz rides"

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #815 on: November 24, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »
anyone got specs on the Beau's torps? I only found one source which gives alt/speed limits for releasing them, but I dont believe it.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #816 on: December 06, 2011, 04:39:07 AM »

We flew against transport convoys a while back in a special event - IIRC, a Med scenario FSO. This occurred with a certain amount of fanfare, which is to say their existence was announced. However, I have yet to see these convoys occur in the arenas and am unsure why.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #817 on: December 06, 2011, 10:27:29 AM »
I think that the beaufighter should be added.

It was a very important aircraft in the war in Europe, and was also used much in the pacific campaign in the Royal Australian Air Force where it was nick named by the Japanese " Whispering Death"

here is some basic information on it :

First Flight: July 17, 1939

It was powered by 2 x bristol 1770 Horsepower Hercules XVII 14-cylinder air-cooled radials.

Armament: 4 x 20mm cannons and 6 x .303 MG's, Had 1 .303 dorsal gunner position. 1 x 1600lbs or 1 x 2127 lbs torpedo + 2 x 500lbs bombs and 8 x 3" rockets.

Max speed: 318 mph
Ceiling: 15,000 ft
range: 1470mph
climb rate: 5,000ft in 3 minutes 30 seconds

btw i didn't copy and paste any of this ;)

-KCTHUNDR ( Happy new year only 24 minutes  :D)
+1

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #818 on: December 07, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »
anyone got specs on the Beau's torps? I only found one source which gives alt/speed limits for releasing them, but I dont believe it.

You must be referring to the essentially dive bombing torpedo bird.  It was set up for a fast dive from alt then drop, but wasn't used that way in practice.  2000 feet, 180 knots was found to work, also 1000 feet 350 mph was proven to work.  There was a special breakaway fin on the torpedo that got it into the water at the right angle.

In practice with the strike wings Torbeaus dropped at about 175 feet and 210 mph.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #819 on: December 08, 2011, 02:33:05 AM »
I don't think any EW or MW birds have a chance to win a vote if there is a LW capable aircraft in the vote. Not sure where Beau qualifies but due to good armament it should do good, unless there is Meteor in the vote...

Maybe HTC should have two branches of development:

Branch A, voted birds (B29s Me410 etc, mostly LW stuff)
Branch B, historically significant birds that do not hold that much glamour in terms of performance or armament but are essential to have in scenarios (He111, Lagg-3 Mig-3, Vickers Wellington etc) that will be added to game without vote but with some kind of relevance to scenario schedule.

Maybe they could be added in turns: voted bird, scenario bird, voted bird, scenario etc etc.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #820 on: December 08, 2011, 03:36:08 AM »
...2000 feet, 180 knots was found to work, also 1000 feet 350 mph was proven to work.

That is very impressive.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #821 on: December 08, 2011, 05:24:20 AM »
You must be referring to the essentially dive bombing torpedo bird.  It was set up for a fast dive from alt then drop, but wasn't used that way in practice.  2000 feet, 180 knots was found to work, also 1000 feet 350 mph was proven to work.  There was a special breakaway fin on the torpedo that got it into the water at the right angle.

In practice with the strike wings Torbeaus dropped at about 175 feet and 210 mph.

thanks, the figures I found said 3000'/450mph which seemed crazy to me without using the kind of breakaway nose structure that the USN were using late war. a 1000'/350mph drop would at least give us a chance of egressing safely.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #822 on: December 10, 2011, 12:47:06 AM »
guess what plane I would like to see next....... :noid

a beaufighter.  :t
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #823 on: February 12, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »
How did I get in here?    :O

Beaufighter needs to be added!
 :airplane:

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #824 on: February 12, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »
I don't think any EW or MW birds have a chance to win a vote if there is a LW capable aircraft in the vote. Not sure where Beau qualifies but due to good armament it should do good, unless there is Meteor in the vote...

Maybe HTC should have two branches of development:

Branch A, voted birds (B29s Me410 etc, mostly LW stuff)
Branch B, historically significant birds that do not hold that much glamour in terms of performance or armament but are essential to have in scenarios (He111, Lagg-3 Mig-3, Vickers Wellington etc) that will be added to game without vote but with some kind of relevance to scenario schedule.

Maybe they could be added in turns: voted bird, scenario bird, voted bird, scenario etc etc.

-C+
.....or 2 birds per release, one of each, I could live with that.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.