Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 202936 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #825 on: February 13, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
Me410 won and it is a mid-war aircraft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #826 on: February 13, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »
Me410 won and it is a mid-war aircraft.

While voting we get to decide 1 item to be put in the #1 slot, this doesn't mean the Beaufighter, Ki-43 etc arn't behind it.

Given the time frame, I know HTC is working hard, I've been wishing the Me-410 since 2006 (my earliest post on it), at that time many things
should of been added first and they have.

If it came down to voting again, the beaufighter leaves me in a tough situation to vote - just getting the Me410, I would like to vote on an early war bird next, either D.520, Ki-43 or IAR.80. Only problem is the P-40 was updated not long ago to fill out early/mid war.

I would probably lean towards the D.520 and He-111 - this would fill the Phony war nicely with air frames, also the He-111 served on every theater.
The D.520 also served in north africa in a limited basis.
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #828 on: February 13, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
Two words(ish), Henshel 129
The Hs129 does not compare favorably with the Beaufighter, not in performance, significance, numbers or anything other than anti-GV work.  The Hs129 should be compared to the Il-2, Il-10 and Ju87G-2.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #829 on: February 14, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »
The problem with the HS-129 is it looks good, but was a dog with unreliable and underpowered engines.

The Beau was a mainstay from beginning to end and in every theater the Western Allies flew doing every role imaginable for a fighter bomber.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #830 on: February 14, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #831 on: February 17, 2012, 04:41:21 PM »
+1 cant wait it will be here eventually
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #833 on: February 20, 2012, 01:43:40 AM »
Very very nice find Lyric

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Majors

• Copper Member
« Reply #834 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:33 AM »
One has to wonder who determines the new aircraft.  We just got a Fiesler Storch!!  What role it will play in AH is anybody's guess.  Recon, could spot if we had artillery.  Target?  Definitely.  Was used for liaison work mostly in WWII.  Don't need much of that in AH.

Yet, we have the Beaufighter, an aircraft that served in every theatre of the war from the beginning to the end, in a number of roles from Ground Attack, to Anti Shipping, etc., that is still not in the mix.

What's with that?

Can anyone enlighten this old geezer?

Cheeries mates

Majors
249RAF
Oldest Yank in the RAF

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #835 on: February 21, 2012, 09:55:30 AM »
The introduction of the Storch was linked to reduction of GV icon ranges from the air. All other aircraft have trouble spotting GVs now, unless they are close enough to receive return fire from flaks. The Storch can see GVs icons much further away than other aircraft and direct friendly aircraft and GVs to them. It can also up from all bases, not just airfields.

The niche role that the Beaufighter would fill in the MA is a heavy fighter that could carry a torpedo. However given that torpedo bombing is suicide against prox fused AA it probably would not see much use in that role. Otherwise its just a slower but tougher Mossie really. Scenario wise its definitely needed though.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:58:58 AM by Greebo »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #836 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
The introduction of the Storch was linked to reduction of GV icon ranges from the air. All other aircraft have trouble spotting GVs now, unless they are close enough to receive return fire from flaks. The Storch can see GVs icons much further away than other aircraft and direct friendly aircraft and GVs to them. It can also up from all bases, not just airfields.

The niche role that the Beaufighter would fill in the MA is a heavy fighter that could carry a torpedo. However given that torpedo bombing is suicide against prox fused AA it probably would not see much use in that role. Otherwise its just a slower but tougher Mossie really. Scenario wise its definitely needed though.

I want it :)  I'd trade in my 38 for a Beau!  most of the time anyway :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #837 on: February 21, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
As somebody who like the Mossie, I'd still like to see the Beau added, even if I won't use it often.  I know there are people who would and it was widely used historically.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #838 on: March 12, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »
I've been reading about Malta and the exploits of a certain Adrian Warburton.   

He flew a reconnaissance Beau at points but did most of his work in a Maryland?   Now this pilot just added to my respect for the Beau. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #839 on: March 12, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
important wish planes should be sticky threads  :aok
now posting as SirNuke