Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 200978 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #915 on: November 09, 2012, 01:57:42 PM »
I would take a Yak3 if  it replaced the Yak9U.

It would have the best cockpit visibility in the game by far for one and if all else were the same, or similar, (to the Yak9U) the turn radii should be better.

There is a certain romance about the Beaufighter and it may have a role in events.......... but its effectiveness was really one borne of operations which avoided all other enemy air contact out side of the odd bomber.

The other attack ac in use in the med through out 44 was the Mossie MkIV FB yet there are not that many intruder AH events designed to make use of it in these roles (where it becomes the star)........... would we so so many more featuring the Beaufighter?

I would rather have a Pe2 or even a Tu2 given the choice..........

O'rly?   :confused:  Please, do elaborate...
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #916 on: November 09, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
O'rly?   :confused:  Please, do elaborate...

Yak9U

Yak3

Ludere Vincere

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #917 on: November 09, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
Less obscured to the front, but I think it will be a little more obscured to the rear.

-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #918 on: November 09, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
Less obscured to the front, but I think it will be a little more obscured to the rear.

Not sure about that.  Can't recall his name, but a famous French ace that flew the Yak-3 said it had excellent all around visibility.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #919 on: November 09, 2012, 05:59:17 PM »
It would be amusing if HTC added all yak3 variants except for the one with the 3x berezin B20s.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #920 on: November 09, 2012, 06:02:53 PM »
Not sure about that.  Can't recall his name, but a famous French ace that flew the Yak-3 said it had excellent all around visibility.

ack-ack

I'm not saying it'll be horrible like a F6F, just less of it.  As you can see, it's a shorter canopy with the top of the rear fuselage also meeting a good few inches higher.  I'm not sure about the space inside available to move your head around either, both seem adequate and near identicle, although the Yak-3's might be a hair more confined if you look at it from a forward, rear or top profile in some images.

For AH, it's probabley too little a difference to matter, really.
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #921 on: November 10, 2012, 07:33:09 AM »
The rear canopy of the Yak3 and Yak 9T are the same..........

I dont see such a degradation in view even if the apex of the rear fuselage was an inch or so higher. All use the same armoured glass so there is no "head stock" in the way of a rear view.

I can't think of an ac in AH that would have a better alround view  than would/should have a Yak3.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #922 on: November 10, 2012, 07:54:22 AM »
It would be amusing if HTC added all yak3 variants except for the one with the 3x berezin B20s.

Saratov produced Yak3's had (in the main) 1 x 12.7mm + 1 x 20mm (later production added a 2nd  12.7mm)
Tbilisi produced Yak3's had  2 x 12.7mm + 1 x 20mm

No Yak 3P's (3 x b20)  ever saw combat.

Hence load options should be

1x12.7 + 1x20mm Shvak

or at

2x12.7 + 1x20mm Shvak

interestingly Tbilisi built Yak3's had slightly larger tanks which added (when including the extra 12.7mm mg and ammo) an extra 25Kg ..but then Tbilisi built air craft were on average 9.3mph faster in level flight.....go figure!
Ludere Vincere

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #923 on: November 10, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »
Ibelieve I have voted for the Beaufighter at every turn and I think that it should be the next Aircraft added to the planeset. Unless HT decides to add the He111 before that then I would have to think that the Beau would be the next one added. I wish I could find the pic, but I have a WW2 book that has this awesome pic of a swarm of Beaufighters attacking a German Convoy in the English Channel. They are just giving that convoy a beating and IMHO deserve to be represented in-game. (I believe I may have posted a similar comment under this topic but I do not feel like going through it to see if I did or not lol)

+10 :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok :aok
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #924 on: November 10, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
I'm not saying it'll be horrible like a F6F, just less of it.  As you can see, it's a shorter canopy with the top of the rear fuselage also meeting a good few inches higher.  I'm not sure about the space inside available to move your head around either, both seem adequate and near identicle, although the Yak-3's might be a hair more confined if you look at it from a forward, rear or top profile in some images.

For AH, it's probabley too little a difference to matter, really.

I have read that same article about that French pilot. Said he loved flying it.
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #925 on: November 10, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
Not sure about that.  Can't recall his name, but a famous French ace that flew the Yak-3 said it had excellent all around visibility.

ack ack

The report (I think) was from General Zakharov who was then commander of 303 IAD of which the Normandie Niemen was a part with 18 GIAP. He was reporting (at the time) with respect to the Yak3's use in his Division......

Quote from: Zakharov
.......The aircraft is stable at take off and landing and can be easily flown by any pilot - something that cannot be said about the La5FN fighter.

The pilots of the 18th GIAP and Normandie Niemen mastered the Yak-3 after logging 3-5 hours. The Yak-3 gains altitude very quickly and has a wide range of speeds (200 to 600 km/h). All aerobatic manoeuvres, both in the horizontal and vertical plane, are performed excellently. the fighter offers excellent visibility and has a comfortable, well lit cockpit.

I think the comparison with the La5-Fn would be the suspension bounce that all Lavochkins suffered from..particularly when landing........... Czech pilots compared it very much to that found on the Spitfire.

The short transition time might be a bit mis leading as they were transitioning from the Yak9T
Ludere Vincere

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #926 on: November 10, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »

We'll get the Beau Fighter eventually i'm sure  :aok

And then we'll finally have SUBBs in the game!!!!  Secret Union of Beaufighter Buddies!!!!

Fight Like a Girl

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #927 on: November 12, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
The rear canopy of the Yak3 and Yak 9T are the same..........

I dont see such a degradation in view even if the apex of the rear fuselage was an inch or so higher. All use the same armoured glass so there is no "head stock" in the way of a rear view.

I can't think of an ac in AH that would have a better alround view  than would/should have a Yak3.

Fine, since it's now two against me in this war of heresay, quote me your definitive source.

I've not wipped out my measuring tape, but I've observed they are not equal or the same, however similar.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:16:45 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #928 on: November 12, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »
     I'm wondering if it's safe to assume no big updates until after the New Year?
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #929 on: November 12, 2012, 05:42:20 PM »
     I'm wondering if it's safe to assume no big updates until after the New Year?

they still have time to sneak my Beau in before x-mas.  :pray