Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 203063 times)

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #1005 on: February 12, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
2 weeks  :D
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #1006 on: February 25, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
SOON.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #1007 on: February 25, 2014, 05:53:26 PM »
Beau-beau-beau rhymes with mo'-mo'-mo'. Bring it. Bring all the twins.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #1008 on: February 25, 2014, 05:59:02 PM »
Ehhhh....-1

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1009 on: February 25, 2014, 08:51:19 PM »
You opened page 67 with that!
If we get to page 68 and still no Beaufighter, I'll blame you and there will be hell to pay!
*knock* *knock* *knock*  :devil

:bolt:
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #1010 on: February 26, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
Ehhhh....-1
For what reason would you say no to the Beaufighter? It served everywhere and will carry everything.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #1011 on: February 26, 2014, 02:11:42 PM »
+1
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1012 on: May 02, 2014, 02:41:11 AM »
Nice documentary, well worth watching. Especially of interest to the Australian AH members:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psUvAUw37D8

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #1013 on: May 02, 2014, 04:15:41 AM »
Holey Smoke Nrshida,

Im watching the video and looking for this thread to post it. Did you surf from the Typhoon>Blenheim youtube pages??

Thanks for finding the thread
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #1014 on: May 02, 2014, 05:20:08 AM »
Check out the load out and the wing and power loading and I think the case becomes overwhelming. This thing will be the kind of monster that can come in heavy, lay waste to the base, then stick around for some devastating turn and burn to expunge any red stragglers. The only thing it doesn't have is a lot of escapability...
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1015 on: May 02, 2014, 06:42:10 AM »
Holey Smoke Nrshida,

Im watching the video and looking for this thread to post it. Did you surf from the Typhoon>Blenheim youtube pages??

Thanks for finding the thread

No I found the video a few weeks ago, you just reminded me of it on the Typhoon thread.  :salute

What about the bit where he gathers pieces of jungle treetop in his cowlings?  :lol

Also interesting how they didn't seem to fear the Zero.  :rock

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #1016 on: May 02, 2014, 10:37:16 AM »
Rgr that,

Yes enough wood for the fire for the month. lol.

I liked the bit where he looked over to see the skip bomb from the b25 only 50 yards off his wing. That seemed abit crazy. :rock

Cheers.

JR
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1017 on: May 02, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »
I've read after action reports from beau pilots that gave me the impression the beau was Britain's twin engine version of our jug for damage resistance. Is the beau sans ordinance more maneuverable than the 110? Once it's in the game, the first squad or mission commander who organizes its beau strike force properly for NOE smash and grab, will change field captures back similar to the old days of lightning NOE sneaks.

Just like we have some star names as monsters in the Mossi6. Any candidates on who will become our beau sticks?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1018 on: May 02, 2014, 01:47:04 PM »
I've read after action reports from beau pilots that gave me the impression the beau was Britain's twin engine version of our jug for damage resistance. Is the beau sans ordinance more maneuverable than the 110?

She's got about 20% larger wing area, being derived from a bomber. Need to know more than wing-loading though such as the elevator movement and control authority etcetera. Usually larger planes have more docile handling.

I think especially if you watch that documentary (and assuming it's modeled realistically) it would be one of the toughest aircraft in the game. On a par or surpassing an A-20, which sort of makes sense.

Would be nice to have something Bristol-engined in the game. In the documentary you can see them refitting one of the heads with the engine still mounted.  :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1019 on: May 02, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
She's got about 20% larger wing area, being derived from a bomber. Need to know more than wing-loading though such as the elevator movement and control authority etcetera. Usually larger planes have more docile handling.

I think especially if you watch that documentary (and assuming it's modeled realistically) it would be one of the toughest aircraft in the game. On a par or surpassing an A-20, which sort of makes sense.
The Beau gave a "relatively good" account of itself when dogfighting with 109s. Relatively good that means it depends on your expectations. Of course it was not a pure fighter and unlike the mossie, it could not simply leave the bandits in its wake. It was Britain's premier night fighter before the mossies took over, but that did not involve much elaborate ACMs. Light and slow it can probably keep up with many fighters in a turn, but will be easily out-climed and out run by most. An Israeli Beau got a maneuver kill on a Sea Furry during the independence war. Pretty funny that an obsolete twin engine fighter got a kill on perhaps the best prop fighter ever. The Beau pilot was a very experienced WWII veteran though.

Durability wise, I suppose it would be a good contender for the toughest plane in the game. The comparison with the A20 is probably valid, as both planes are small sized bombers with radial engines that shared many combat roles. The Beau had an extremely good reputation for durability.

I dont think that many players will make it their main ride, but it will not be a total hangar queen either. Very very useful in scenarios, serving in all theaters throughout the war, in many roles. In the MA, if it rolls out of the BH it will become the desperation fighter much like the A20 is used now when the FHs are down. For this reason, and to disable F3 view it should roll out of the FH. Decent attack plane and heavy fighter for the advanced players.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs