Author Topic: Bristol Beaufighter  (Read 200934 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Bristol Beaufighter
« Reply #1035 on: September 23, 2014, 02:02:13 AM »
Now in all seriousness, how would it be used? Jabo? It's got 4 hispanos but carries less ammo & ords than a mossie, and is quite slower too.

The only things the Beau has going for it over a Mossie are durability, firepower (the Aussie version had 0.5 in rather than 0.303 wing guns) and the ability to carry a torpedo. For me the torpedo would make it an occasional ride. I enjoy an occasional suicide mission in Ju 88s or a TBM if I reckon there is a chance fleet gunners might not see me coming. In a Beau I could clear some fleet AA with rockets, drop a torpedo and (compared to the TBM or 88s) still have some sort of chance vs fighters.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1036 on: September 23, 2014, 02:25:12 AM »
The early versions had Hispano Mk I's that had 60 round drums, but even then it carried many drums with the navigator being expected to replace them as needed.  Later versions had the belt fed Hispano Mk IIs.

Earlier in the thread, the figures quoted for the load out were, 283 RPG for the 20mms and 1000 RPG for the 303s. So thats 1132 rounds of 20mm, and 6000 rounds of 303. I don't think we have a number on the 50cal loadout, but I am sure they kept a large belt for all the ground attack the beaus were doing.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1037 on: September 23, 2014, 04:25:30 AM »
Now in all seriousness, how would it be used? Jabo? It's got 4 hispanos but carries less ammo & ords than a mossie, and is quite slower too.
The beau was inferior to the mossie no doubt. This is why the mossie replaced it in many roles. Consider it as the predecessor to the mossie. It will not transform the arenas, but will be a fun plane and not a total pos. I prefer having a Beau over an earlier mossie model - will be more useful in events and more diverse.

The torpedo carrying will be a unique feature.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1038 on: September 23, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
Keep in mind for Events the Beau would be heaven sent.  They were all over the MTO.  They were all over the PTO and CBI.  They certainly were there in the ETO.  You aren't going to sub the Mossie for that ride as the Mossie is a better performer.  But it wasn't there until the end if at all in some cases.

Of  the birds we DON'T have, the Beau is by far the one that was involved in combat the longest in the war and in the most places.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1039 on: September 24, 2014, 01:07:07 AM »
Keep in mind for Events the Beau would be heaven sent.  They were all over the MTO.  They were all over the PTO and CBI.  They certainly were there in the ETO.  You aren't going to sub the Mossie for that ride as the Mossie is a better performer.  But it wasn't there until the end if at all in some cases.

Of  the birds we DON'T have, the Beau is by far the one that was involved in combat the longest in the war and in the most places.

B25J comes close...
See Rule #4

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1040 on: September 25, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »

indeed.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline BudHeavy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1041 on: September 25, 2014, 05:57:20 PM »
A huge +1 from me!  :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1042 on: September 27, 2014, 11:10:53 PM »
B25J comes close...

We've got versions of the 25 and the J model 25 doesn't come close at all to the Beau we don't have in terms of combat time.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1043 on: September 29, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
Hitech,

May we please finally get this thing and the Boomerang? Then these two posts can finally earn their well deserved rest.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1044 on: August 02, 2015, 03:35:26 AM »
Only two more weeks till we get the Beau!
 :banana:  :x
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1045 on: August 02, 2015, 08:32:12 AM »
dang bozon...lol B25J and the beau
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline BudHeavy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1046 on: August 03, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »
I'm still all for it, however the Tu2 seems a less fragile alternative than the Mossie...and has defensive armament.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1047 on: August 03, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
I'm still all for it, however the Tu2 seems a less fragile alternative than the Mossie...and has defensive armament.
And a vastly higher loss rate than the Mossie...

The real advantage of the Tu-2 over the Mossie XVI is the flexibility of its bomb load.

The Tu-2 and Mossie XVI are not competitors with the Beaufighter at all.  The Beaufighter falls in with the A-20G, Mossie VI, Bf110s and Me410.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 03, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »

From a fighter point of view, I actually find the TuTu's to be delightfully fragile...
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #1049 on: August 04, 2015, 06:49:51 AM »
Tu-2 is also far less maneuverable than a moss 6, it doesnt like speed at all.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking