Author Topic: Been bugging me all day...  (Read 1973 times)

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
Re: Been bugging me all day...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 03:00:25 PM »
I swore I saw torpedo bombers flying over the airfield at low level in that movie, with there torpedos still on them

I wanted to throw up after watching that movie
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 03:11:40 PM »
Don't hold back rebel, why don't you tell us how you really feel?  :aok
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »
Not XIVs, but definitely not the Mk Is and IIs that would have been appropriate.

Though, can you imagine the effect if the Germans had sent Bf109E-4s, Bf110C-4s, Ju87Bs, He111H-6s, Ju88A-5s and Do17Zs at Britain and met Spitfire Mk XIVs defending it?

Not XIVs but at least one Spit V.  B of B Flight has a Spit II that is a B of B vet, and just recently a Spit Ia AR213 got back in the air, so it's possible to have the correct 8 mg birds now.  Plenty of Hurri's up and about as well.

They should do Piece of Cake again, with Hurri's as it should have been instead of Spits.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »
Don't hold back rebel, why don't you tell us how you really feel?  :aok

I'll get banned if I do that  :frown:
"You rebel scum"

Offline Jing0

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 06:16:36 PM »
wait....what were spits doing at pearl harbour?  :confused:

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 06:27:37 PM »
wait....what were spits doing at pearl harbour?  :confused:

Youve never seen the movie have you? You lucky.....

There was a scene during BoB when Ben Afleck is flying Spit V's against HE111's, where he yells 'HAMMER DOWN!' He should have been publicly shot for even thinking of saying that!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Jing0

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »
so he was fighting the battle of britian on the wrong side of the planet and long after it finished in an aircraft that didnt take part in it? 

:huh

I think ill give that film a miss....

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »
Not taking up for the makers of the movie but..you have to see it to understand it
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
ok okok, let me run this by you. He joins up with an Eagle Squadron to 'Do His Bit' for England. His bit could have been done better by taking a long walk of a short pier with a weight attached. ANYWAY, I digress. He fights in the BoB as you said in a plane put into service a long time after.

Your probarbly smart to give it a miss. It has got to be one of the saddest films ever made, and I dont mean that in the crying way
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Ponyace

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
Wait, Eagle Squadrons weren't used till 1941, where they? At that time, the B of B was pretty much over, and the LW were busy preparing for Operation Barbosoa. Is this movie really that inaccurate? :huh
Gatore
Formerly "Ponyace"

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 06:55:02 PM »
Wait, Eagle Squadrons weren't used till 1941, where they? At that time, the B of B was pretty much over, and the LW were busy preparing for Operation Barbosoa. Is this movie really that inaccurate? :huh

Yes.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »
If you are looking at that movie for any kind of historical accuraccy, you are gonna be hurting big time.

That being said, there were Spits that carried only 2 20mms.  The first cannon Spit used in combat was a Spitfire Ib with 2 20mms.  It was not popular due to gun jams but was tested in the B of B by 19 squadron among others.  There were numerous instances where Spit drivers took the 303s out to save weight too and only went with the 2 20mms.

But throw that movie out for any kind of history please :)

God no, not looking for any historical accuracy, just bugged me though to only see 2 20mms. Kinda wondered if the real life spits had em.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 08:10:25 PM »

Oh, it get's worse. 

First off,  :salute to all you guys who could actually tell what friggin' spit he was driving during that shakey cam (tm) bit. 

He gets shot down in the BoB, comes back to america, flies with his friend and fights the japanese at pearl harbor in a P-40 that acts like an F-104 starfighter right off the runway.  Displayin his ho-tard ack weenie tactics, he drags zeroes by a tower for his ground pounding buddies to shoot down with M1's and pistols. 

Yeah.

After Pearl harbor (they land, dummy- they're the heroes), they're brought in by an Army Air Corps general who's planning the doolittle raid.  So they get up to snuff in B-25's and go bomb tokyo (with extreme pwnage being delivered), and ditch it in China (next to the ever-so-clearly marked Japanese tents.  'cuz, you know, all things japanese have to have a big red meatball on 'em- emporor tojo said so).  Of course our heroes have the super-uber 1911 .45's with Japanese seeking ammo and hold off assault after assault. 

Yeah. 

anyway, that's about what the film has to do with WW2, and we're not even talking the main f***ing plot here.  There's a LOVE story in this whole thing that'd make ma an' pa Barker go  :huh ?

Now here's what REALLY pisses me off about this suckwangfest... Bay made it out to be some tribute to the diddlying veterans.  Yeah. Even had vets from Pearl Harbor doing interviews and sh**.

"You rebel scum"

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »
My favorite review of the movie said "The story of the dastardly Japanese attack on an American love triangle."

Pretty much sums it up.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »
The irony it wasn't even a GOOD love triangle. No fricken way he sends a telegram he survived, and it arrives MONTHS LATER the day he shows up. I've had a friend (female, who loved the movie) tell me it doesn't matter, it's just a love story. I think it makes a HUGE difference because they're disregarding reality for the benefit of what passed for "plot."
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.