Author Topic: Planes with Tail Hooks  (Read 584 times)

Offline absolain

• Zinc Member
Planes with Tail Hooks
« on: January 11, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »
I haven't been able to find a list of which planes have landing hooks for carrier landings. Is there a list hiding somewhere around here?

Thanks in advance!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Planes with Tail Hooks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:52:51 PM »
When you go to any Carrier, each plane that is listed/available ( not in red ) is a plane that is Carrier  abled meaning it has a tail hook...all other planes that are red out  or not available on the CV will be un highlighted or redout for they are not Carrier based aircraft.....

hope this helps.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
Ones that have them:
A6M's
F4U's
F4F/FM2
F6F
B5N/D3A
TBM/SBD
Seafire

If I forgot anything, well, all CV planes.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:58:29 PM »
in other words...what TC is trying to say, you could go to the hangar, right click on the plane list so a drop down window appears, top box should say something like "Enabled Only" if you click that it will show a list of planes that are availible at that field you're at. If a plane is not on that list you cannot fly it from that field. At a CV you will have a list of 12 or 13 fighters, and 5 or 6 bombers, they all have hooks that can be put out with Shift + G.

NOTE: Don't come in to landing to fast, will be slingshotted off back. I aim for just under 150 IAS and TAS MAXIMUM, though doesn't always work. slower you come in to land better chance you will not get sling shotted off back of CV.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline absolain

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:18:03 PM »
Thanks for the gouge!

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »
the "Slingshot off the back" from my experience has always been in the game . It is when someone catches the first wire and lets off the brakes without raising the tail hook or immediately ending the flight ( exiting to the tower )

you do not necessarily have to do the click on "Enabled only "  the planes that are available will be in bold black text, the ones not available will be kind of greyed out...if you click a greyed out plane it will simply not let you get it to launch with...

but MasonZ is correct as well.....you can click on the enabled only option
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »
Thanks for the gouge!

I know a person who uses that "gouge term" alot........ :devil

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:43:30 AM »
Actually, I've landed all types of non CV aircraft on the deck of a carrier and as long as you hit the net they all stop rather abruptly, tail hook or no.  I've noticed little if any difference with a tail hook deployed and have just stopped using them.  If you miss the net then it's a little different story but even then the "wind in your face" from the CV's movement slows you down a lot faster than landing on a land based runway.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 05:49:39 AM »
Actually, I've landed all types of non CV aircraft on the deck of a carrier and as long as you hit the net they all stop rather abruptly, tail hook or no.  I've noticed little if any difference with a tail hook deployed and have just stopped using them.  If you miss the net then it's a little different story but even then the "wind in your face" from the CV's movement slows you down a lot faster than landing on a land based runway.
also  bear in mind eagle, ingame the CV's go about 50ish, you land at <125 and you have 200 feet plus induced drag from flaps and CV its not going to take nearly as long to slow down those 75mph.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »

The time I notice/use the tailhook the most is when I land on the CV from the front.  Since I have a hook, I stop when I hit the wires- no hook, and I'd go right on past and off the back, hehe.  Of course, I always have a hook :^)

I still remember the first time I convinced Skyrock to try landing that way, as we returned from a sortie carrying a bunch of scalps.  I can't remember whether he landed successfully or not- the thing I remember was his tone of voice, hehe.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:44:22 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson