Author Topic: Towering at spawn  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Towering at spawn
« on: January 21, 2009, 08:58:36 AM »
I can never seem to tower out at the spawn point. Be it wirbels,M3s, tanks, or PT boats, whenever I head back to the spawn and try and tower I get the "killed by" message. I bet over 1/2 of my GV deaths are due to this. What am I doing wrong? Or am I doing nothing wrong and you just "cant" tower out? Thanks.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Towering at spawn
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 09:06:08 AM »
It has nothing to do with whether you're at the spawn.  The only thing that counts is whether an enemy is within 5k yards.  Yes, that means you might have to drive 15 minutes to safely tower out.

In the wishlist forum I have already asked that there be a place to park your gv near the spawn for a safe "landing."
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 09:07:10 AM »
I believe if you got pinged by someone, or someone is within 3k (or something), you'll get the "killed by" message if you aren't quite in the spawn point when you towered.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
I believe if you got pinged by someone, or someone is within 3k (or something), you'll get the "killed by" message if you aren't quite in the spawn point when you towered.

No.  See my reply above.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »
you'll get the "killed by" message if you aren't quite in the spawn point when you towered.

As Anaxogoras already said: The spawn point has no influence on GV "landing" at all. Doesn't matter if you are "in" the spawn point.

The things that can have a onfluence on landing result=

Enemy proximity
Owner of the base closest to you when you tower out
Damage status
Being on concrete on friendly bases. Note that factories and other strat targets are no bases.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:23:54 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:39:49 AM »
I'd do a search but HT once said that you had to be 5.5K away from any enemies to land successfully.  As long as you are at least 5.5K away from enemies it doesn't matter where you are.  This, in practice, means you often have to drive WELL past the spawn.  I do it regularily and have no difficulty in getting a safe landing but it's often much further than you would imagine.

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:44:19 AM »
Ah, I see. Thanks. 5k is icon range correct? Course when your in a GV you have no way of knowing where an enemy GV may be. Not on the ground in broken terrain. Let me ask this, how far would the average spawn be from an enemy base? And this pertains to PT boats as well?

Sounds to me like there should be a better way to do this. I dont really care that much cause I dont care about score and would rather die then spend 15 mins running over hill and under dale in a smoking wirbel. But some guys really care about it and its their $16 so they have a right to. It just seems to me if there was a better way to tower then players would be more aggressive in GV attacks. Most of all with the evolution of the IL-2.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:26:02 AM »
Ah, I see. Thanks. 5k is icon range correct? Course when your in a GV you have no way of knowing where an enemy GV may be. Not on the ground in broken terrain. Let me ask this, how far would the average spawn be from an enemy base? And this pertains to PT boats as well?

That totally depends on the map and the spawn points but a good estimate would be about 3.5K in a worst case (closest) scenario. 

If there's other fiendlies around I like to keep going until I'm out of icon range from them although I tend to err of the side of safety.  When I'm alone I'll usually run well past the spawn in case there's an enemy GV following me out.  If there is, I usually figure he'll stop at the spawn.

You also have to remain aware of those pesky airplanes which can get into range to foil your safe landing attempt pretty quickly.

Offline Coogan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 01:26:29 PM »
 :aok  Good Topic Rich46yo.  I was having this same problem.  I would always try and park my gv right on top of the spawn arrow, and still get the 'you have been killed' message.  Now I'll just make sure the cons are at least 5k away before towering out.

Coogan 

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
I thought it was within 6k range? I wasn't aware that it changed per map...

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 02:40:24 PM »
I thought it was within 6k range? I wasn't aware that it changed per map...

The distance from the spawn point to the fields are different on different maps and at different bases on the same map.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »
Ah ok.  I always use 6 as a safe number I guess.  Either way, it can take a while to get out of range sometimes :)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »

Being on concrete on friendly bases. Note that factories and other strat targets are no bases.

Not sure if this should have happened, but a couple of tours back I landed successfully at an enemy base.
I towered out in the hanger by the map room. People didn't come to see why their base was flashing. I had all the intentions of starting a tank battle, I was most disappointed. Much to my surprise I managed to roll an M3 and take the base

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:12:32 PM »

Not sure if this should have happened, but a couple of tours back I landed successfully at an enemy base.
I towered out in the hanger by the map room. People didn't come to see why their base was flashing. I had all the intentions of starting a tank battle, I was most disappointed. Much to my surprise I managed to roll an M3 and take the base

You can "successfully land" a gv anywhere as long as you are not moving and there are no enemy cons within 5.5(?) K.  I use 6k to be on the safe side as well.

The issue I've had lately is "you have crashed" when you try to tower a gv that has been hit.  I was not moving, sitting on a v-base with a dead engine.  I was expecting a ditch.

It's actually happened once in a plane as well.  Belly landed and sitting on the runway, not moving, .ef and "you have crashed."

Just kind of disappointing.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 12:34:05 AM »
And the PT? when I spawn to look for cv, see nothing and then exit, i always get a ditch.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix