Author Topic: Do you like WW I Air Combat?  (Read 6292 times)

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Re: Do you like WW I Air Combat?
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2009, 02:23:49 AM »
What are you so afraid of?

An Early Early War Arena?

And despite the bitter tears here, I'll bet the polling is 70% in favor of WWI Air combat.

Cry your eyes out.

TEShaw won't be killing you in the Late War Arena; he'll be killing everybody else in the monoplane, biplane, pusher arena.

Please enjoy.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2009, 04:12:24 AM »
oh baby yes, yes. yes. oh baby.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2009, 04:29:54 AM »
Can we have the F4 Phantom ? With rear aspect only missles, she sure would be so much fun to fly and fight in!

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2009, 04:32:00 AM »
oh baby yes, yes. yes. oh baby.

Looks like Bat does his 'stick stirring' offline.  :rofl

j/k Bat  :aok
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2009, 05:40:58 AM »
 :lol

Offline from ah maybe, but it still requires an internet connection :p
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2009, 07:37:03 AM »
Edit - BTW looking through some of the Fokker, Albatros , etc designs, were there any single seat fighters or fighter/scouts with more than 2 Foward firing LMGs as armament (that were produced in number and saw service).

Most didn't even start out with 2, that was basically from late 1916 on, once the Albatros came out. Fokker Eindecker, DH.2, Nieuport, Morane... all had a single .303. Many also had drum fed guns, not belt fed ones, that required the pilot to change an ammo drum every 80 rounds or so.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2009, 08:15:24 AM »
And despite the bitter tears here, I'll bet the polling is 70% in favor of WWI Air combat.

I would be interested to see the results if there was a poll "Are you interested in flying aircraft against their historical opponents"- I would imagine there would be a lot of interest, however you don't see a soul in the AvA.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2009, 08:26:05 AM »
I would be interested to see the results if there was a poll "Are you interested in flying aircraft against their historical opponents"- I would imagine there would be a lot of interest, however you don't see a soul in the AvA.

You did for a while, until certain groups took it over, and many folks got tired of the same matchups or same opponents in every setup (like Spits in EVERY setup).

I still think the old WWII arena in WB, with its rolling plane set, was a much better option than the "planeset" style used in our AvA.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline A8Hunter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2009, 10:21:35 AM »
As long as I get the one with the Blue-Ray player, I'm all for this new venture!
Let me do nothing to bring shame or disgrace on my family, my comrades, my unit, my country. Let me conduct myself in such a manner that there is no dishonor. Let me not be wasted, but if I die, let me die like a soldier should.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2009, 10:31:52 AM »
IIRC, Max Immelmann had his Eindecker outfitted with 3 Spandaus, which may have been responsible for the interrupter malfunction that lead to his death (at least, that's one of the theories).
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2009, 01:17:08 PM »
Simguilds Flying Circus.

Indeed!  That was a great game while it lasted!
Flying Circus never appeared to me to be a serious effort.  They freely admitted it was a proving ground for various network technologies and techniques.  Almost like a grad school thesis project or something.  I was coming out of Fighter Dual at the time and many other FD'ers were playing that game too.  Lots of fun even though it was played on a pool table.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2009, 02:28:40 PM »
Indeed!  That was a great game while it lasted!
Flying Circus never appeared to me to be a serious effort.  They freely admitted it was a proving ground for various network technologies and techniques.  Almost like a grad school thesis project or something.  I was coming out of Fighter Dual at the time and many other FD'ers were playing that game too.  Lots of fun even though it was played on a pool table.

Fighter Duel!?  :O

Now theres a blast from the past.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2009, 03:23:33 PM »
I see Krusty and Karaya are "bonding" again  :uhoh

Nah, he's knows he bases his crap on insinuations and nothing more. 

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2009, 03:55:51 PM »
I voted no.

I would like HTC to stay focused on filling the many holes in the ww2 planeset, update the older models and give us new ord options before spending time on ww1. It should keep em busy for years and years.

:)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »
First of all, I am very excited by this news. I believe there is an opening for a WWI flight sim, and if it came from HTC, who has crafted what is the best all-around WWII flight sim, so much the better.

Like it or not, I believe HTC has more customers to gain by expanding into WWI than it does by adding the Heinkel, or the Oscar, or the Brewster. The latter will serve to satisfy customers who are already here, the latter will attract new ones.

I believe it has to be done right to be worthwhile though. The immersion is a must factor for anyone attracted to this arena. First and foremost, to make it challenging and hold the interest, the planes need to have all their quirks and flaws modeled in. Flying a Camel doesn't need to be like flying a 100mph Spit, etc and so forth. The terrain graphics update underway will help, and since AHII planes are already so graphically detailed and the new cockpits are so nice, I think we can check this box. I believe any WWI arena should be an axis vs. allied setup, for the reasons already mentioned. A historical map with the nice new terrain, aerodromes, ballons, and of course, No man's land. I believe that because almost week by week innovations was such a part of WWI, RPS should also be used.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."