Author Topic: Do you like WW I Air Combat?  (Read 6270 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: Do you like WW I Air Combat?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 11:04:34 PM »
would be like DOA but better?

then  :aok

Offline Dadano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 12:22:18 AM »
No thanks. I think they should focus on enhancing what we have now. They've got a good thing going besides splitting the LW community and doing absolutely nothing with strat in game.
Dano
Army of Muppets

"Furballing is a disease, and we are the cure... Oink."
-Twitchy

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
I'd like to get a new terrain with the WWI arena as well. New Terrain, new Arena, and new planes.

Personally I've always felt that the current terrain was more befitting WWI then WWII.
I think a WWI arena would be a fine addition to the game
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 12:49:17 AM »
zeppelin fights would be fun. a little poison gas maybe.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 02:05:59 AM »
Sounds like HTC is backpedelling from Combat Tour...Finally listening to the demands for another  theatre..Adding some wing-struts,cable wire & an upper wing(or two) too the MA situation.

This is progress baBy..!
 :aok
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 02:26:49 AM »
I would have thought that there is a very large overlap between people who like WWII and WWI air combat. It is not that different. Much less overlap would be between people who like modern jet-age combat vs. propeller driven, slug shooting fights. The first is all about a million buttons, complicated systems and countermeasures, the latter is all about ACM - WWI, WWII, all the same.

I would like WWI for a change of atmosphere, but I can't see how the gameplay would be any different from what can be done in WWII era. I hate modern "fly level and work the radar" modern air combat.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 03:19:16 AM »
I bet the response to the WWI question is overwhelmingly, 'YES'!

HT already did this right once.

Imagine how cool it might be done now.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 03:31:24 AM »
2 clues:

A book titled, "The Wind in the Wires."

A book titled, "Bristol Fighter 4516."  (or some other 4 digit number)

The two best first person accounts about WWI aerial combat. Both are out of print: you'll actually have to go to a library.

BRING IT ON HTC!

(Yes, better than anything about Mannock and Bishop combined.) I am not kidding!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 03:33:25 AM »
I'd rather HTC didn't add WWI aviation for a bit and instead experiment adding biplanes used in WWII instead (Gloster Gladiator, Swordfish).

I much as I like new content, I think they need to complete the WWII aspect/game first.

As Pyro said;

The main news is that we have decided to put Combat Tour on an indefinite hold.  The reason for this is that we have decided that it is better to steer our development in a way that allows us to implement our CT developments first as part of the regular game.  

The way we’ve been going has been like trying to fight a two front war with only one army.  It’s stretched us too thin and has hurt our overall level of productivity.  It also has handcuffed us in a lot of our development decisions by forcing us to indefinitely postpone a lot of other things.

So instead of fighting France/Brit on one side and Africa on the other, they pull out of Africa and attack Russia instead, to use his analogy. I don't understand it...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:46 AM »
I voted second bottom, 

If they want to experiment and model a couple of WW1 planes and setup one arena to dogfight go for it.  I just think it will detract more time away from the core game. 

Soon as the novelty wears off flying 30 circle turn fights with one BB shooter the new ww1 arena will be left with minimal participants.

Now what we all want to see is the filling of the WW2 planeset  :rock.  If this can't be done alongside making ww1 stuff no way.  Same goes for any korean addons.   FA listened to the vocal minority and produced both ww1 and Korean planes.   Hardly anybody uses them and its just wasted time.  I'm sure HtC would do a better job of it but we are here for WW2 action  :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline capera

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 04:23:01 AM »
WWI

Hell ya!

Nothing sweeter than cruising along in your DR1....only to get entangled in a grueling dogfight with a Camel.

I sure hope HT moves forward with this. Always thought AH graphics, mixed in with WWI would be PERFECT.

:aok

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 04:23:08 AM »
 :aok  WWI dogfighting is a blast...leave out the base capture aspect, it would be great.   They could add every WWII plane there is and still not change how the game is played in the MA.  FSO and Squad night is really what makes it for me for now.

<S>
Windows 11 Pro, Z790 UD AX,  i5-13600K, 64 MB DDR5, RTX 4070, Alienware AW3225QF QD-OLED monitor,TrackIr 5, VKB Gunfighter IV, VKB Gladiator NXT EVO Throttle, VKB Mk V Rudder Pedals.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 05:10:17 AM »
Why not Korea ? Would add 46 AC that everyone loves + mig 15 and teh F-86.  :O
See Rule #4

Offline Wolfie

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 05:48:16 AM »
I'd rather HTC didn't add WWI aviation for a bit and instead experiment adding biplanes used in WWII instead (Gloster Gladiator, Swordfish).

I much as I like new content, I think they need to complete the WWII aspect/game first.

As Pyro said;

So instead of fighting France/Brit on one side and Africa on the other, they pull out of Africa and attack Russia instead, to use his analogy. I don't understand it...

Ditto.

:salute

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 05:57:52 AM »

This is a great idea.  Spanish Civil War.  Faith, Hope and Charity at Malta.  Even some Claudes and Hawks in China.

Problem would be:  where to put them?  The Spit 5s and Hurri IICs that are presently the mainstay of the early war arena would not go well with the biplanes.

Of course, the AvA people would know what to do with such lovely new planes....

- oldman