Author Topic: Do you like WW I Air Combat?  (Read 6282 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Do you like WW I Air Combat?
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
Sorry but who are you responding to?

You and Yeager, but I didn't read through 5 pages of the thread so it may apply to previous discussions also.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2009, 01:32:50 PM »
Guess you missed Pyro's post then. :)

"Relax, it's just a poll.  It's not the opening of the seven seals.  Another thing I said at the con was that we had a number of things for various projects that have been sitting in our virtual garage collecting dust.  We're not looking to move off in a whole new direction or make a new game.  We have plenty of big projects in the queue.  If we do something along these lines, we would not make it into a big project."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »
Well, you could hardly just make one model (i.e. Se5A) without some sort of framework to fly it in. It won't exactly fit in any arena in-game, and if it were just a 1-off (AH Con special ride?) then yall wouldn't be polling about "WW1 air combat" -- which implies more than 1 plane and a WW1 framework  :devil

Offline skullman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »
personally I would love it-true raw air combat-I played red baron for years and it was one of my favorites
been there destroyed that

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »
upgrading graphics means higher more demanding computing resources that will put more people out of the game.

Ummm, the present code allows one to "turn down" the graphics, no reason that particular switch/slider can't/wont be included in a graphics update.

If you bring in a broader spectrum of gameplay choices you are bringing more people into the game.

Perhaps initially,  but IF the graphics are mediocre at best, ya'll darn sure will not retain players.

besides, graphics are fine.  

There is certainly room for improvement..imho.  Forget the "WW1" stuff, bring the present game to it's full potential.

"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »

P.S. You're assuming any new blood will come in just for WW1 games. More than likely a small minority that already subscribe will try it out. That's little to no new revenue, and a lot of expended time/effort.
I think your assertions continue to be shortsighted and just plain wrong, when applied to the larger user base.

In my case: After nearly 10 years of this AH WW2 thing I have developed a pattern over the past several years where I typically pay for 3 or 4 months before burnout sets in and I break for 3 or 4 months sometimes longer.  I have long ago stated if this game was more inclusive of the total history of air warfare, more interesting in the larger sense, then I would have alot more in the larger game to keep me intersted.  I know from talking to many other subscribers that this approach, although unfortunate for HTCs bottom line, is a practice more people use more often as they age through the game.

Bottom line: You are simply on the wrong foot here Krusty.  But I respect your opinion.

I hope HTC knows better, and does "better" with the game by adding in this important content.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »
I think your assertions continue to be shortsighted and just plain wrong, when applied to the larger user base.

In my case: After nearly 10 years of this AH WW2 thing I have developed a pattern over the past several years where I typically pay for 3 or 4 months before burnout sets in and I break for 3 or 4 months sometimes longer.  I have long ago stated if this game was more inclusive of the total history of air warfare, more interesting in the larger sense, then I would have alot more in the larger game to keep me intersted.  I know from talking to many other subscribers that this approach, although unfortunate for HTCs bottom line, is a practice more people use more often as they age through the game.

Bottom line: You are simply on the wrong foot here Krusty.  But I respect your opinion.

I hope HTC knows better, and does "better" with the game by adding in this important content.

I on the other hand am quite the opposite. Flying is Flying. Some biplanes isn't gonna change getting burnt out. I'd rather be flying WW2 planes as well...

"Bottom line: You are simply on the wrong foot here Krusty.  But I respect your opinion."

He's on the wrong foot because you say so? Interesting...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:32:43 PM by RumbleB »

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2009, 05:33:27 PM »
I remember when Dawn of Aces came out. It held the masses interests for about 2 months, then DOA arena's population fell to about 5% to 10% of the main arena's population at any given time.

And I remember why, too.

WWI air combat was terribly boring and repetitive compared to WWII air combat.

For starters, the planes are amazingly slow. It took forever to get into a fight.

Secondly, there wasn't enough difference in the different plane's top speeds to make disengaging from a fight a possibility. As such, you would think that this would lead to lots of "fights to the death" but...

...The planes are made of wood and fabric and the guns are few and weak. You could unload your entire ammo supply into a plane and do nothing but poke holes in the fabric all over it, and it could still keep on flying as if nothing happened. You would occasionally hit something critical, like the engine, fuel, or pilot, bit it seemed 75% of your hits had no appreciable effect.

So typical 1v1 dogfights frequently had their winner determined  by who still had plenty of ammo. Or...

...who brought along the most friends. 4v1 fights seemed very typical, and it seemed the only reliable way to actually shoot an enemy down due to the sheer weight of ammo that could be aimed at a target.

Anyway, like I said: very repetitive and boring.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2009, 05:48:10 PM »
LLAMA has spoken! :aok
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2009, 05:59:58 PM »
He's on the wrong foot because you say so? Interesting...
Please don't read too much into it.  Just stating an opinion.  Krusty is a good guy capable of sorting through opinions that disagree with his own.

I really believe, I believe STRONGLY that AcesHigh would be a better product with more choices.  I know it would be, I just don't share the concern that
by adding WW1 content you are necessarily harming the development of WW2 content, or Korea era content......  
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »
I'd like to get a new terrain with the WWI arena as well. New Terrain, new Arena, and new planes.

Check the front page.

:lol
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline 99Sundance

• Zinc Member
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
Yeager, name one successful WW1 online flight sim. Red Baron doesn't count because it was offline.

I thought so.

Simguilds Flying Circus.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
Simguilds Flying Circus.

looks like someone registered just to post that  ..

:lol

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2009, 06:51:48 PM »
see! just the rumor of WWI has brought in new blood!
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2009, 07:06:39 PM »
WW1 combat would ROCK!!!!!!!   :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok  :aok

Thats where it all started. It is the true father of aerial combat. I am surprised so many people objected. I figured it would be a sure hit with everyone.

And besides I am kinda getting bored with all the MA hording, picking dweebery. DA furball looked promising when it started but thats been taken over by a gang who hangs out on the block making sure nobody has any fun except them.

I would also like to see a Korea version as well but If I have to pick I want WW1