Author Topic: Do you like WW I Air Combat?  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Re: Do you like WW I Air Combat?
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2009, 07:25:02 PM »
The problem with WWI is the same as WWII, Korea, Vietnam, etc.- they're all niche markets. WWI enthusiasts are admittedly a much smaller percentage of the market than any other period, for all the reasons Llama posted. Most of the non-Jet set gravitate to WWII, for the faster planes, better armament and more glamorous planes. Even though they usually fly them slowly and around and around in circles, like WWI combat was, not WWII.

I for one loved DoA for the same reasons Llama just badmouthed it- most of the people in there were ENTHUSIASTS, not GAMERS. You could get a good, long, hard fight in there and usually it would stay 1v1. A fight above any help usually meant that they were out of the equation, and a fight out of icon range meant any help was several minutes away. Plus with most planes being similar in performance, tactics meant much more that crank and bank fighting- anything you could do, your target could do. You had to outsmart him before you could outfly him. You didn't just scream in with your hair on fire and all guns blazing and expect to blow off your targets tail or wing with a half second burst- you had to WORK for it. And you had to learn to shoot, not just spray-and-pray. The difference between a guy with a 20% hit rate and guy with a 3% rate was obvious and dramatic. I often landed 4 or 5 kills with ammo left over once I learned how to shoot and aim in my ride of choice (Albatros D.V). The limiting factor was usually fuel and finding oppsition.

And I'm still a big fan of non-cannon armed planes. That is a BIG selling point for me when it comes to WWI.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »
finish making AHII first before making WWI.....
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Impakt

• Copper Member
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2009, 09:10:36 PM »
Having tried "Dawn of Aces" when I was at Warbirds----it is quite boring. IMO, technology reached a perfect balance in WWII from the standpoint of a combat simulation. I find WWI and post WWII equally tedious.

+ FAFL ALSACE 341 +

In game handle = Impaktt

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2009, 09:16:05 PM »
All the squeakies could ruin it when they log in and answer the poll.  "Mommy, what's WWI?"  lolz.

WWII Beta, they will probably understand that one  :D
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2009, 10:05:33 PM »
You think 1 WW1 plane is going to make a WW1 arena? No. They need a whole planeset, then a special terrain to accomodate the ludicrously slow flight speeds, and then they need another arena (which would have less action than the AvA is my guess), all of which would take a lot of thought and planning, and wind up being unused by 99% of the arena.

P.S. You're assuming any new blood will come in just for WW1 games. More than likely a small minority that already subscribe will try it out. That's little to no new revenue, and a lot of expended time/effort.

Kinda like your "knowledge" on the Polish Air Force.   You know little about of which you speak.   The sooner you realize this, the easier life will be for you. 

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2009, 10:10:46 PM »
Said the person that exaggerated the Polish Air Force's history to the point he made it sound like they were the most important and numerous fighting force the world has ever seen?

:rolleyes:

Quit believing your own press. The sooner you do, the easier it will be on you.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »
Said the person that exaggerated the Polish Air Force's history to the point he made it sound like they were the most important and numerous fighting force the world has ever seen?

:rolleyes:

Quit believing your own press. The sooner you do, the easier it will be on you.

I never said such a thing.    Dig up the quotes.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Waldo

• Copper Member
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2009, 11:12:39 PM »
 Hmmm I bet 1st 3 aircraft are the Dr1, camel and 1 1/2 strutter ! :devil
I read it on the internet, so it must be true !

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:28 PM »
  No cannons and slow planes. Probably not alot would like it.

Id love it.

~AoM~

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2009, 12:00:27 AM »

Id love it.

No GV's.  Tanks supported infantry.

No Base Taking.  No paratroops nor transports.

Cavalry?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Leek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2009, 12:30:26 AM »
Polish Air Force? What's that, a couple of guys with a Piper Cub who once saw Top Gun on cable?  :aok

As for WWI air combat, sure, sounds fun, just one more arena for me to be reminded of how badly I suck. I just want the opportunity to say on 200 "Did you see what that Fokker just did!"
"Beware, my Jeep of Death!"
LYNCHMOB

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2009, 12:40:26 AM »
I see Krusty and Karaya are "bonding" again  :uhoh
Lighten up Francis

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2009, 12:45:20 AM »

Id love it.

For the same reason many of us in Battleground Europe enjoy the first Tier of each campaign, where the Luftwaffe has the Bf 110C-4, Bf 109E-1, Bf 109E-4  . And the Allies get the Hawk 75 , Hurri I, Spit Ia, and  Dewoitine 520. (recent change, recently it was just the 110 v Hawk 75 and Hurri I)

Aircraft in that tier are slower, generally not as lethal. Combats are more thrust and parry and counter attack then just everyone zooming around in their lazor instant kill x wings Spit IXs/P 38Fs/Fw 190A-4s.

Edit - BTW looking through some of the Fokker, Albatros , etc designs, were there any single seat fighters or fighter/scouts with more than 2 Foward firing LMGs as armament (that were produced in number and saw service).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:55:43 AM by Gabriel »

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2009, 12:56:44 AM »
So typical 1v1 dogfights frequently had their winner determined  by ...who brought along the most friends. 4v1 fights seemed very typical, and it seemed the only reliable way to actually shoot an enemy down due to the sheer weight of ammo that could be aimed at a target.

Damn! He just described the MA we have now!  :rofl

As Phan said to me once, "there are a lot of 1v1s in Aces High, 1v1+1+1+1+1."
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline theNewB

• Copper Member
      • http://www.greatergermany.net
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2009, 01:55:46 AM »
well......... im in for a ww1 game.......have yet to vote in the game cause im currently playing Enigma: Rising Tide (another good "old" game) but count this as my yes.