Author Topic: Do you like WW I Air Combat?  (Read 6295 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: Do you like WW I Air Combat?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2009, 11:43:55 AM »
Many will question your intelligence for calling me smart.  :P   :rofl

True on the tactics. But when I think about it, I realize that before WWI the planes had only flown a few years and never in battle with eachother. So as I see it if the tactics are still as valid today, then we are already using them in WWII. I only wish them to flesh out the WWII part before going off on another area.
Shuff, when you go back and remember what AH was like in December of 99 the game looks damned near done by comparrison.  the WW1 stuff and Korea stuff, assuming that is part of the natural progression, should be coming along sooner rather than later.  Far as Im concerned, there is room for everything under the sun regarding guns combat in AH.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2009, 11:55:10 AM »
i voted no. i dont want them spending more time on that WWI sim then this one. UPGRADE THE GRAGHICS :salute
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »
To answer their question: HELL NO.

WW1 may be an interesting idea to some, but most WW1 games out there really suck. Most of the planes even sucked by their own standards. The speed difference between the fastest plane and the average "rest of the pack" was often on the lines of 120mph to 130mph. (just to show a comparison) Only the last year's planes actually started getting any speed, and the earlier planes were more deathtraps than anything else. You all complain of PWs and instant kills now? Most kills in WW1 went through the aircraft and killed the pilot. Armor did not exist.

WW1 games just don't succeed. I don't want HTC to blow/waste any time on a dead end, when there's much more that could be done in other areas.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »
upgrading graphics means higher more demanding computing resources that will put more people out of the game.  If you bring in a broader spectrum of gameplay choices you are bringing more people into the game. besides, graphics are fine.  
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2009, 12:24:26 PM »
To answer their question: HELL NO.

WW1 games just don't succeed. I don't want HTC to blow/waste any time on a dead end, when there's much more that could be done in other areas.

completely HELL disagree with your selfish and shortsighted opinion  :eek:

Hopefully HTC is smarter than that.

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2009, 12:39:36 PM »
I have no interest in WWI aircraft.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2009, 12:40:47 PM »
Yeager, name one successful WW1 online flight sim. Red Baron doesn't count because it was offline.

I thought so.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
Yeager, name one successful WW1 online flight sim. Red Baron doesn't count because it was offline.

I thought so.
I think what we are looking for here Krusty, is more options for more people. 

There is NO WAY adding a few WW1 kites is going to deprive you of ANYTHING in this game.  All you would have been saying "yes" to would be for more people to have more enjoyable options in our shared online community.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2009, 12:54:41 PM »
Well one thing HTC does not want to do I imagine is take no more than a certain percentage of players from the existing base.  The revenue to pay for the WW1 setup should come from new markets, new player revenue.  

Additionally advertising for a new product should help bring in enough new players to pay for WW1 and excite new players to the existing expanded product.  New products are a must in any business, some company's maintain that 15-25% of the yearly revenue must come from new products.

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »
I would love to see WW1 come to Aces High.  The first implementation of it would be relatively simple too.  Just take a Stuka and go like this  ;) and you have a Spad 13.  Go from there.  I'd love it!

My first experience with MMOLG was Red Baron II (which evolved into RB3D and RB3D-online).  There were hundreds of guys online, squadrons, the whole nine yards.  I was in the Lafayette Escadrille squad and these were some serious folks!  Being my first experience and such a long time ago (mid 90's) I probably have more of a romantic memory of that experience than a realistic one but I'm telling you, it was a blast!  Having to worry about your wings flying off in your Niuport 11 or not pulling G's while firing your guns else risking jams was very immersive.  One of the coolest features of the online play was how they handled "radar" which of course, did not exist in any form IRL.  Naturally, not having any way to see planes on the map would ruin online play, so the way they handled it was to use the least capable aircraft on both sides (Morane Bullet for the Allies, Fokker E.III for the Axis) to be used as recon planes.  In order to "turn on radar" in a sector, a player had to fly a recon mission (unarmed) from one border of the sector to the other.  If he made it successfully, radar would come on in that sector for a period of time (don't recall how long).  You could then see all the planes from both countries once that sector was recon'd.  Ah, how I loved that game!

I have always wished for a WW1 game to emerge and IMO no one could do it better than HTC.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2009, 01:03:45 PM »
I think what we are looking for here Krusty, is more options for more people. 

There is NO WAY adding a few WW1 kites is going to deprive you of ANYTHING in this game.  All you would have been saying "yes" to would be for more people to have more enjoyable options in our shared online community.

Exactly, its called growth, if he can successfully expand the player base with a new product it enables him to grow in revenue and personnel.  The personnel so needed to maintain and expand Krustys precious ww2 version.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2009, 01:13:16 PM »
You think 1 WW1 plane is going to make a WW1 arena? No. They need a whole planeset, then a special terrain to accomodate the ludicrously slow flight speeds, and then they need another arena (which would have less action than the AvA is my guess), all of which would take a lot of thought and planning, and wind up being unused by 99% of the arena.

P.S. You're assuming any new blood will come in just for WW1 games. More than likely a small minority that already subscribe will try it out. That's little to no new revenue, and a lot of expended time/effort.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2009, 01:18:52 PM »
name one successful WW1 online flight sim. Red Baron doesn't count because it was offline.
WWII online sims are rather scarce when you add the magical term "SUCCESSFUL".

Now as already suggested place some biplanes in EW that actually fought in the war. Interesting... and EW gets a shot in the arm. Won't be a 6 man sqad fighting no one just capturing anymore.  :aok
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:23:26 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
You think 1 WW1 plane is going to make a WW1 arena? No. They need a whole planeset, then a special terrain to accomodate the ludicrously slow flight speeds, and then they need another arena (which would have less action than the AvA is my guess), all of which would take a lot of thought and planning, and wind up being unused by 99% of the arena.

P.S. You're assuming any new blood will come in just for WW1 games. More than likely a small minority that already subscribe will try it out. That's little to no new revenue, and a lot of expended time/effort.

Sorry but who are you responding to? If its me see my first post.  I need to go back and see who may have suggested one plane.

I'm sure HT knows how to analyze cost vs expected return.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »
I wonder what the dweeb plane would be?
Strokes