Author Topic: Question on the Home Page Developer News 1/23/2009  (Read 1153 times)

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
Question on the Home Page Developer News 1/23/2009
« on: January 24, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
For those of us that have terrains in the MA rotation (and for the just curious), can we get some more details on what is coming and what is meant by the statement:

"… The current terrains will not be made obsolete by this update although they will need some additional work to look their best."

From the screenshot on the Home Page, it just looks like new/different terrain tiles.  Is there something more?

Looking forward to something new.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Re: Question on the Home Page Developer News 1/23/2009
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:53:53 PM »
Maybe they'll still have old terrain textures, and they'll slowly get modded out after the tiling is replaced?
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »
The transitions looks different to me.  Perhaps something other than using a ovly file?
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:56:15 AM »
I'm guessing there will be some sort of converter which will rebuild existing terrains with the new textures, field layouts etc. and this might need some final tweaking to avoid "farms on vertical cliffs" type stuff. There might be extra field types or new strat objects that can or must be built in to the terrain as well.

My hope is they finally get the rivers and bridges sorted out. It would be nice if there were alternative tile sets available for MA terrains as well. So you could build an MA jungle terrain, or a snow terrain etc. and every player would already have those tile sets from the game download or could download tile sets from the HTC website like they do for skins.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 02:58:08 AM by Greebo »

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:24:19 AM »
be nice  to get rivers and bridges and a new challange,get some shore line ship convoys and better strat targets
will open up the game more.

Be nice to get a working weather system too.Imagine a couple of airfields closed in with low cloud and rain,stopping
thoes pesky il2s and letting the gvss have some fun
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:08:37 PM »
I too would like to see stock terrain tiles that would cover jungle, snow, desert, etc. that could be used (at the same time) in a MA terrain.  New factories, additional field layouts, rivers with bridges, and some weather would be interesting to play with also.  But if we where getting things like that, the Developer News did not show it.  The sample screen shot they put up looks good; but other than showing new terrain tiles and transitions, I don't know what else the image is showing.  I'm sure they are not just demonstrating their ability to make the terrain look like it does around the San Diego Wild Animal Park.  It would be nice to get some more details.

Edit:  Okay, after looking at the screen shot some more, these is one more thing I think I can see.  There are no sharp breaks in the terrain.  There is a depression near the center of the image that would have made sharp edges if done under our current system.  The hills also look more rounded.  They should have put a field in there so we could get an idea of the scale or made half the image with the grid turned on.  It does make for a more natural looking terrain.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:27:21 PM by MachNix »

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »
It seems that they have reduced the size of the tile, which allows for more detailed hills and terrain overall.