Author Topic: Learning a plane  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
Learning a plane
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:17:33 AM »
I was thinking about this for a couple of days now.

On a scale what plane is the easiest to learn and which one is the hardest to learn.  I am talking about being good at the plane and not just taking it up and landing kills.

On the easy side I would put the spit series of aircraft ther.

I am having trouble figuring out the hardest one to learn.  Is it the P-38 because of its size, the jug because of its weight, or the 190 because it cant turn.

I am not talking about taking a plane up and landing some kills (anyone can do that), I am talking about knowing what the plane can and cant do... becoming a master at the plane if  you will.

Easy                                                                                                                     Hard
<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Spit                                                                                                                      ????

Sorry about the typing I had hand surgery and it is hard for me to type.

<S>
Jebus

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
Re: Learning a plane
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »
Spit easiest

190 series
Jugs, 38s

P39s P40s

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:22:22 AM »
<---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
spit  N1K             LA7  P-51                      F4Us             Yak     P-38  P-47 109  P-39 TA-152                                                                       P-40b 

Not perfect but what I came up with after a couple minutes.              
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:27:47 AM »
The Hurricane is also one of the easier fighters, despite its slow speed.  The 190 series is also not too hard to learn as it gives quick and obvious feedback if you do something wrong. ;)  Otherwise Mensa's list is pretty good.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 11:35:56 AM »
spit  N1K             LA7  P-51                      F4Us             Yak     P-38  P-47 109  P-39 TA-152                                                                       P-40b 

Not perfect but what I came up with after a couple minutes.              

P40's arnt that hard  :D
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline JohnnyT

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »
The Tiger is a nightmare to get airbourne... guess thats why they were all grounded in the war ...  :rolleyes:
' For once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. For there you have been, and there you will long to return.. '

JohnnyT - Keeping silk factories in business since 2007

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »
Go to any fat, red, darbar, and you will see the same planes ad infinitum:  P51D, LA7, Spit 16, KI-84, P51D, LA7, Spit 16, KI-84,P51D, LA7, Spit 16, KI-84, P51D, LA7, Spit 16, KI-84....yadi-yadi-yadi....

But...

Some others have mentioned in other threads...but you worry a bit more when you see an NME in:

P-40
P-39
Yak-9T
Yak-9U
109-E

Something about folks being able to master those planes that gives you a bit more of a twinge...

You don't know if they are just too new to know what they are doing?  Or...are they insidiously evil, and fly those birds like it was part of them?

I've seen both.  Hat's off and a  :salute to those who have mastered them!

ROX

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »
Easy <------------------------------------------------------Middle----------------------------------------------------------->  Hardest

Spit             LA                     YAK               FU4        FM2      P-38                     p-39                     P-47                                  262
Hurr                                                                                  P-51                     Moss                   JU-87                                  109
Nik                                                                                    F6F                       110                                                               190
AM62, 5
KI-84
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:33:34 PM »
On a scale what plane is the easiest to learn and which one is the hardest to learn. 

I'd put the Zekes and Spits (except for the Spit 14) on the easy end.

I have yet, in lo, these many years, figured out how to fly either the P-40B or the FW-190A8 effectively (as real fighter airplanes, not as one-trick b&z machines), so I'd put those two at the opposite end.

Very close to the hardest I place the Corsair and P-38, which are great planes but which take a fair amount of practice and insight to fly well.

- oldman

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
OLDMAN is the easyest person to get along with, and shoot down, heheh
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 01:52:35 PM »
Learn ACM first and then worry about what plane to fly.  

and the P-38 isn't a very hard plane to fly.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »
and the P-38 isn't a very hard plane to fly.ack-ack

You've just forgotten.

Not pulling high Gs with flap use...heavy rudder in the turns...double Immelmans...wingovers....ther e are a lot of tricks to using the 38 well, and until you get them it's just a big target.

- oldman

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 08:52:33 PM »
Very close to the hardest I place the Corsair

The flaps on the F4U totally eliminate it from the "most challenging" end of the spectrum.  Even total F4U nooblets like me can fly it well enough to stand-up 1vs1 against furballing wonders like the N1K and Spit16.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:54:52 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 09:08:19 PM »
The flaps on the F4U totally eliminate it from the "most challenging" end of the spectrum. 

F4Us are indeed hard to master for a new player. It needs experience & some good judgement to succesfully play it's strengths, to know when to use flaps and when not, and if, how much of them. In a F4U ist easy to burn your energy but relatively hard to get it back, being not in the top-notch acceleration crowd.

No comparison to planes like Spits and N1ks whose strenghts are more easily "accessible" to the newcomer - less things to consider in fight, and easier to have success in.
Only past the beginner stage, a player can begin to appreciate a F4U's more "subtle" advantages.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:10:53 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline GFShill

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 09:24:41 PM »
Easy <------------------------------------------------------Middle----------------------------------------------------------->  Hardest

Spit             LA                     YAK               F4U        FM2      P-38                     p-39                     P-47                                  262
Hurr                                                                                  P-51                     Moss                   JU-87                                  109
Nik                                                                                    F6F                       110                                                             190
A6M2, 5                                                                             C205                                               Ki-61
KI-84                                                                                                                                                                               
Added some planes
==========