Author Topic: To SLI or Not?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Re: To SLI or Not?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2009, 01:32:57 AM »
Sli is a big waste if you ask me Ive been there done that....The next card that comes out is normall just as fast as the previous card in sli configuration......

<S>

I really don't understand that 1?????

SLI is no waste . Lets say for instance someone bought an Intel E6000 processor with whatever mobo that was top of line at the time(SLI certified). Lets say for arguments sake, the 8800GT was the best card made. No 9000 series yet. User "A" is very happy with his system but over the past few years newer tecnology has come out. You really need to explain to me why I should go out and buy a new $500 video card??? All user "A" needs to do is spend a hundred bucks or maybe a little less to get another 8800GT and run them SLI(with 20-40% better performance). Nobody never had the opportunity to do this in the past. When you wanted a new card, boom, back to the computer store and spend $200-$400 on newer technology. It is an inexpensive and painless step to (semi) upgrade and get 20-30% more performance for a mere $100. The new GTX380 will be over $500. Now, If you polled the entire gaming communty, 99% would say this makes senceto grab a 8800GT for $100.

Now, if you were to buy a new video card, does it make sence to buy a GTX280 or 2 x 9800GT's for about the same price. I won't answer that. SLI was made for 2 things. The high end user could buy 2,3,4 of the best video cards and use them SLI, Tri SLI, Quad SLI and have the best kickin system on the planet or, plain Jane may want to grab a nice inexpensive upgrade in video in a few years(This also helps the manufacturer spin off a lot of older technology). I don't think they make any games that will only work Dual, Tri or Quad so the answer is from the extreme gamer to the everyday Jane, SLI does serve a purpose and there are considerable performance gains. Look at the graphs above, they do not lie.

Yes there may be an upgrade in PSU but it is no $200. You can get a decent one for low $100.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:57:58 AM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 04:11:56 AM »
The problem is that often you cannot throw in even the same card for SLI, often that same card won't match up with earlier/later manufactured cards.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 03:14:11 PM »
I am unaware if that's a problem and I am not so sure that is true. It' not a problem with ATI crossfire.
See Rule #6

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 03:22:06 PM »
From what I read, different chipsets or even different bios on the vid cards can give you headaches later.

If I am incorrect, I apologize...

At the very least, it will run at the speed of the slowest card.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
From what I read, different chipsets or even different bios on the vid cards can give you headaches later.

Delirium, like I mentioned to Getback, this is a real cool discussion that I researched a year ago(Some things were not mentioned).  I did benchmark with 2 cards and have a little experience. Didn't know these may be issues. Nice catch on the speed of the slowest card. The chipsets I do not know if I totally agree. Do you think newer drivers would take care of that?
See Rule #6

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 05:53:24 PM »
I doubt this would be a problem unless you bought a card when it was new and then bought revision cards a couple of years later. Most manufacturers abandon a series after a new generation comes out and its not too likely for very many revisions to even come about.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 09:00:43 PM »

From the Nvidia SLI Zone:

1) Ensure that the second graphics card you plan to install:

Has the NVIDIA® SLI™-Ready badge on the box
Has the same graphics processing unit (GPU) as the SLI-Ready card already installed in your PC. (Note: The graphics card manufacturer may be different, as may the GPU clock and memory speeds, but the GPUs MUST match. For example, if you have a GeForce 7600 GS-based graphics card, your second card, regardless of manufacturer, must have a GeForce 7600 GS GPU in order to take advantage of SLI technology.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 12:30:26 PM »
I am in the process of completing my new PC Build and noticed that the Ctrl + I reading "basically" sees the memory for 1 card and not both. Out of the box, I started running it off line for the past few days-couldn't wait-to see what it would do. (have more parts ib ...more ram and 2 more HDs.)

I am running my PC Video at 1920x1080, AH at 1768x990 and at that setting getting a video memory indication of about 770MB (Dual XFX nVidia GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB DDR2) with frame rates hitting 400 at times but they have settled in around 100. In the tower 60-80, bomb sight 500+ but that may be just cause it's still new. Is there something that's missing here for me? Not trying to hijack the thread but it's as close as my search found that was recent!   :lol
I guess the question is: Why does it read 770.xMB Vid Mem with both cards in SLI at 768MB each?

ACER 24" Monitor  40000:1
Intel Core2 Quad 9650 3.0 GHz
evga Mother Board 790i FTW SLI ready
2GB Corsair DDR3 10600 / 1333MHz ram
(2) XFX nVidia GeForce 9600 GSO 768MB DDR2 in SLI ($80 each) which was worth it to me.
750 Watt power supply
Windows XP Professional SP3
WD 500 GB SATA HD - soon to be (3) in RAID 5 (the others arrive Tues)
and other stuff.....

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 01:34:03 PM »
Ctrl+I doesnt work for a lot of people so you should ignore it. However your frames going as high as you say is a problem but only for you. You should turn vsync on or you will have problems with getting hits as your bullets turn to rubber and dont get counted as hits.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »
Ctrl+I doesnt work for a lot of people so you should ignore it. However your frames going as high as you say is a problem but only for you. You should turn vsync on or you will have problems with getting hits as your bullets turn to rubber and dont get counted as hits.

Thanks for the response!
I have vsynch already "On". I haven't connected to the internet yet and may not til next weekend or after since this PC still hangs OK in game. :)  (it does have a bad habit of crashing due to thermal events tho-hence it's splayed open with a fan blowing directly on components)
I have done the CPU cleaning and added new grease, replaced the fan, and actually have a new MB but I just kinda figured this Circa 2003 unit may not last much longer. It's a Dell Dimension 8300 that has seen me add memory and upgrade the video, and power supply already plus a recent lightning strike that took out all my NIC cards and a hub.... I think it deserves a rest! :eek:  :(   
I want to retire soon and this is maybe my last one (PC) for a while -I hope-so I am getting it "Future Ready".   :pray

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »
IIRC SLI mode is supposed to disable you from turning vsync on.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 06:24:01 PM »
I have heard people claim that too...

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 07:06:53 PM »
I have heard people claim that too...

(Image removed from quote.)

That's just fine.  I can take that same screenshot when I have two cards in my system in SLI but when I go into AHII I run 220-285 fps.  My monitor refresh rate is only 60.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 07:56:47 PM »
I am wondering if you alter the registry file if it will give you the option to turn vsync on? Maybe do a search or call your card  manufacturer support. Explain you are getting slight screen tearing.
See Rule #6

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »

I really don't understand that 1?????

SLI is no waste . Lets say for instance someone bought an Intel E6000 processor with whatever mobo that was top of line at the time(SLI certified). Lets say for arguments sake, the 8800GT was the best card made. No 9000 series yet. User "A" is very happy with his system but over the past few years newer tecnology has come out. You really need to explain to me why I should go out and buy a new $500 video card??? All user "A" needs to do is spend a hundred bucks or maybe a little less to get another 8800GT and run them SLI(with 20-40% better performance). Nobody never had the opportunity to do this in the past. When you wanted a new card, boom, back to the computer store and spend $200-$400 on newer technology. It is an inexpensive and painless step to (semi) upgrade and get 20-30% more performance for a mere $100. The new GTX380 will be over $500. Now, If you polled the entire gaming communty, 99% would say this makes senceto grab a 8800GT for $100.

Now, if you were to buy a new video card, does it make sence to buy a GTX280 or 2 x 9800GT's for about the same price. I won't answer that. SLI was made for 2 things. The high end user could buy 2,3,4 of the best video cards and use them SLI, Tri SLI, Quad SLI and have the best kickin system on the planet or, plain Jane may want to grab a nice inexpensive upgrade in video in a few years(This also helps the manufacturer spin off a lot of older technology). I don't think they make any games that will only work Dual, Tri or Quad so the answer is from the extreme gamer to the everyday Jane, SLI does serve a purpose and there are considerable performance gains. Look at the graphs above, they do not lie.

Yes there may be an upgrade in PSU but it is no $200. You can get a decent one for low $100.

You have to have a mother board that supports sli in the first place.... second you have to have matching video cards that are sli approved. if you already have a sli video card thats a few years old..  . you have to buy the "same" card that a few years old... I dont need to run out and get a 500 dollar card  I just have to get the next in series..... Look i have already done it.
You have to buy two cards every time.

Let me try it this way.... If i buy the latest card out. the only way you can get better performance is to sli. you have to buy two cards. you will be buying the 500.00 dollar cards not me. then even if i buy the next card right when it comes out and pay 500.00 thats only half of what u spent and i have the same peformance.  then you have to buy two more cards...   So i can have the same performance as you for the same amount of time  for less money.

Your spending double ....for maybe a few months of better performance.

SLi is a gimik IMO New cards come out two quick and the price comes down just as fast.

"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.