Author Topic: Your reputations are spreading!  (Read 1487 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Your reputations are spreading!
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 12:55:28 PM »
By watching the glitch's behavior it does appear that heat loading makes it worse, so leaning toward heat damage to video RAM. Looking forward (HA) to replacing the vid card as well.

If that's the case try downloading and installing RivaTuner, then, use it to turn the card's fan speed to 100% and see if it heats to the point of causing the problem.  If not then you can incrementally turn down the fan speed until the problem recurs then inch it back up.

You might be able to extend some more life out of the card this way even if it is damaged.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: Your reputations are spreading!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »
Simaril, you said the computer runs cooler with the case on than with it off. If this is the case, I think something else needs to be done. I had an old Prescott chip that ran hot enough to fry eggs and bacon. Case on and case off, was just a matter of a few degrees depending on several variables. Point is, to get air blowing on your components. If case on or case off makes much of a difference, you need to rethink you system cooling components. This is why I said get a box fan, point that sucker strait onto your mobo, crank it up, get the room cool, around 70 degrees F should do, then play the game that makes the dots on your screen. If things run OK, then you can think about getting some cooling components. My gut is telling me you still have heat issues. Not blocked vents so much as it is, insufficient cooling for the components in your system. Also, dont forget on the video card, there is an intake as well as an exhaust. I have cleaned my card exhaust and the fan itself using compressed air, but forgot to clean the intake side of the card. It was 75% stopped up on that side.