Author Topic: Plane you fear most?  (Read 6197 times)

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
Re: Plane you fear most?
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
Hurris, dont make a mistake and give a shot.  Be very careful and watch them buggers.
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2009, 05:25:18 PM »
F4Us tend to give me the most problems
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2009, 05:41:11 PM »
I fear no plane. I am humbled only by wife ack.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
I've done my best against many of the good p38 sticks in the ki84 as compared to fighting the same 38 sticks in another ride.

The ki84 if flown correctly will more than meet the challenge.

Now that i mainly fly the p38 I have found the ki84 to be the "main course" unless the ki is flown by one of the few very good ki drivers. If it is a clean merge at typical MA speeds, the 38 will get 1st couple snaps on the ki almost routinely! Now "when and if" the fight degenerates slow enough for the ki to get its flaps out, then the "fat lady" is warmin up and ki will probably win! But at 300mph+ merge speeds the ki cannot bleed the E nearly as fast as the 38 and the BIG wing will get the 38 around 1st most of the time, therefore the ki gives up the 1st couple shots to the 38 :aok

I have also found the 38 to be easier to manipulate in the verticle fight, raw #s says the ki is better in the vert but only the corsair floats better than the 38 IMHO A soft confident touch in the 38 and it will obey!:aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
Now that i mainly fly the p38 I have found the ki84 to be the "main course" unless the ki is flown by one of the few very good ki drivers. If it is a clean merge at typical MA speeds, the 38 will get 1st couple snaps on the ki almost routinely! Now "when and if" the fight degenerates slow enough for the ki to get its flaps out, then the "fat lady" is warmin up and ki will probably win! But at 300mph+ merge speeds the ki cannot bleed the E nearly as fast as the 38 and the BIG wing will get the 38 around 1st most of the time, therefore the ki gives up the 1st couple shots to the 38 :aok

I have also found the 38 to be easier to manipulate in the verticle fight, raw #s says the ki is better in the vert but only the corsair floats better than the 38 IMHO A soft confident touch in the 38 and it will obey!:aok

Yep, as long as the P-38 keeps the fight fast (250mph IAS and above) where the Ki-84 can't deploy its flaps, the P-38 will have the advantage.  As with all things in life, YMMV.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2009, 06:15:35 PM »
I have a hard time shaking Yak's, and Corsair's. Yak's really give me nighmares!    :devil :salute

I know a great way......put'er into a hard dive without any warning or previous manuvering, turn around, and use all that E you are packing and scoot as fast as you can to a group of friendlies.     Or start flying a plane that can fly faster or out turn it or maby as soon as you can tell it is a yak then try to lead him onto another "target" more suited to dealing with him or lead him past a friendly flying in the opposite direction.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline slyguy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2009, 07:20:37 PM »
Really this depends on the plane you are in at the time. 

From my 109G-6 perspective the Spit 8 is the worst because I can't get an advantage no matter the situation.  It's too good.  A little girl could be me in it.  F-4Us and Yaks are hard to get away from in furballs.

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more about fearing the "pilot".  I never fear any pilots.  Why?  Who's the pilot?  You don't even know who the pilot is until the fight is over then it's a little late!  If you go into it thinking "oh God, what is this pilot going to do????" you'll lose because you aren't keeping your eye on the ball, which is the plane.  Know the plane, assume the pilot is the best in the world, then you should know exactly what "he's gonna do". 

Fight the plane, not the pilot.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »
Really this depends on the plane you are in at the time. 

Key.

- oldman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2009, 07:33:10 PM »
lol is the world pink with those rose colored lenses ?
Having a name like "TwinBoom" kinda kills any pretense of impartiality you might claim.

The fact is that the Ki-84 and P-38L are very closely matched and the skill of the pilots will determine the winner.  It is probable that the higher the skill levels the better for the P-38 driver and at the lowest skill levels the Ki-84 will have a massive advantage.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2009, 07:52:39 PM »
 You don't even know who the pilot is until the fight is over then it's a little late! 

Fight the plane, not the pilot.

Sorry but this is wrong. There are several pilots who have tendencies which can help in a fight against them.  People fly  the planes differently. I know Moot's 152, a muppet k4, Corky's 38(by the missing parts), Del's, AKAK's and Shreck's 38, Snaphook's a20, Shane's LA7, Skat's 51, Goobm's tiffie, Lippy's Ki, Greebo's F6, Skyrock's, mtnman and his wingie,   and shawks Hogs, etc etc etc

Many many times I've had people say "I knew that was you, Steve" so obviously I have tendencies too. Maybe this means I have a weakness that can be exploited.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2009, 08:04:41 PM »
Fear?  none of them..

if there is any "fear" it comes after the initial merge when you see your opponent begin setting up his fight.. thats when you know what you are dealing with, and will know if the guy are about to rock and roll with has his head screwed on, and how tight.

for the most part, what aircraft it is, is arbitrary.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »
Sorry but this is wrong. There are several pilots who have tendencies which can help in a fight against them.  People fly  the planes differently. I know Moot's 152, a muppet k4, Corky's 38(by the missing parts), Del's, AKAK's and Shreck's 38, Snaphook's a20, Shane's LA7, Skat's 51, Goobm's tiffie, Lippy's Ki, Greebo's F6, Skyrock's, mtnman and his wingie,   and shawks Hogs, etc etc etc

Many many times I've had people say "I knew that was you, Steve" so obviously I have tendencies too. Maybe this means I have a weakness that can be exploited.

:)
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2009, 08:20:09 PM »
In the end the pilot makes the plane. While a given plane might have a specific performance advantage a good pilot can put up a reasonable fight in almost any plane. In a typical fight with reasonable parity at the start or sufficient air under the plane a good pilot can normally manufacture transient opportunities against a superior plane. Doesn't mean he'll win but normally he'll be able to capitalize on mistakes by lesser pilots and force other good pilots to explore th boundaries of there ACM skills....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2009, 09:25:54 PM »
:t

I see you have not figured it out yet grasshopper...

Respect the pilot not the plane, Fear nothing.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »
well...for me it's the Yak-9, just because I don't know it's disadvantages and advantages. Need to do some research on that.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s