Author Topic: Plane you fear most?  (Read 6182 times)

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
Re: Plane you fear most?
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2009, 10:04:13 PM »
The soon to be Brewster Buffalo!!!  :noid

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2009, 10:53:21 PM »
WMLute's Schtookie.  I *hates* that vamint.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
Spit16s. It can be any pilot, good, bad or terrible and I know that once I see one pop up all they're going to do is turn their wings perpendicular to the ground and just turn. Then if they miss or have the idea that I'm on their six,...they'll nose-down and just run and run.

That and tanks that are level with me on a hill.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2009, 12:53:35 AM »
I fear the plane that runs.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2009, 02:17:31 AM »
:)

Several, I suppose?  heheheh My game has holes!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2009, 11:13:01 AM »
to SORT of answer the question..  the 152..  again not because of the plane itself, but because USUALLY when I happen across one, it has someone decent in it.. I figure the ones flown by noobs get shot down before I find them. 

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2009, 02:25:11 PM »
The plane that is 200 on my six and I don't know it's there  :O

The plane that is 200 on my six and I DO KNOW it's there ... ;)
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »
The one I'm flying. I know that with or without damage, it will auger in at the earliest oppurtunity.  :(
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline slyguy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
Sorry but this is wrong. There are several pilots who have tendencies which can help in a fight against them.  People fly  the planes differently. I know Moot's 152, a muppet k4, Corky's 38(by the missing parts), Del's, AKAK's and Shreck's 38, Snaphook's a20, Shane's LA7, Skat's 51, Goobm's tiffie, Lippy's Ki, Greebo's F6, Skyrock's, mtnman and his wingie,   and shawks Hogs, etc etc etc

Many many times I've had people say "I knew that was you, Steve" so obviously I have tendencies too. Maybe this means I have a weakness that can be exploited.

Don't "sorry" me.  I'm right, even though you think I'm wrong because the facts is this:  At the end of the day no matter who you are fighting against, he can't make the plane do what it simply can't do.  So again, fight the plane not the pilot.  Unless you want to put yourself in that plane's envelope on purpose, in that case to each their own.

I've been flying WWII air combat sims for 12 years.  Don't tell me I'm wrong.

Offline slyguy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »
In the end the pilot makes the plane.

Not really.  In the end, the manufacturer (or computer programmer in our case) makes the plane.  The pilot does his best to use what that plane is built to do and stay away from what it can't do.  If our discussion excels beyond the remedial then how can one tell me that a jug, flown by anyone, will out-turn a Spit?  Because it can't.  Because it's the plane. 

A pilot is only as good as his equipment allows him to be.  Know your equipment.  Win fights.  He who knows the equipment best is the better pilot.  So know your equipment and all you have to fear is yourself making an error.  Who cares about the other guy?

I'm not saying that pilot skill doesn't come into it.  Of course it does.  I'm merely saying that the pilot's skills are confined to what the aircraft CAN DO.  So you fight the plane.  Do that and it doesn't matter what the "pilot" does because his range won't extend beyond the plane.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »
Not really.  In the end, the manufacturer (or computer programmer in our case) makes the plane.  The pilot does his best to use what that plane is built to do and stay away from what it can't do.  If our discussion excels beyond the remedial then how can one tell me that a jug, flown by anyone, will out-turn a Spit?  Because it can't.  Because it's the plane. 

A pilot is only as good as his equipment allows him to be.  Know your equipment.  Win fights.  He who knows the equipment best is the better pilot.  So know your equipment and all you have to fear is yourself making an error.  Who cares about the other guy?

I'm not saying that pilot skill doesn't come into it.  Of course it does.  I'm merely saying that the pilot's skills are confined to what the aircraft CAN DO.  So you fight the plane.  Do that and it doesn't matter what the "pilot" does because his range won't extend beyond the plane.

The problem with that logic is that it is incomplete. A Jug can easily out turn a spitfire for example....within a certain set of parameters. So what tends to happen is that the pilot who is secure that he has "the better plane" is often deficient in both tactics and imagination. On the other hand the pilot with the "lesser plane" is constantly looking for ways to shape the fight in a manner that allows him to exploit his planes strengths and play on the opponents short comings. The vast majority of a "dogfight" occurs within the meat of the overlapping flight models allowing for both pilots to utilize a significant range of options. In the end the plane is much more pilot limited. Really good pilots are good in any plane.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2009, 11:46:48 PM »
Sorry but this is wrong. There are several pilots who have tendencies which can help in a fight against them.  People fly  the planes differently. I know Moot's 152, a muppet k4, Corky's 38(by the missing parts), Del's, AKAK's and Shreck's 38, Snaphook's a20, Shane's LA7, Skat's 51, Goobm's tiffie, Lippy's Ki, Greebo's F6, Skyrock's, mtnman and his wingie,   and shawks Hogs, etc etc etc

Many many times I've had people say "I knew that was you, Steve" so obviously I have tendencies too. Maybe this means I have a weakness that can be exploited.

I agree with this.  I was running into K4s a lot in the last month and I could tell who it was by how it was flown.  I told BillyD one night that I could tell right off by the opening move he was making.  Agent tends to fly his K4 in a certain way too.

I think the other thing is you start to note in Latewar in particular who isn't flying the latest and greatest and watch for them.  That and you notice who knows what a throttle is and who doesn't, in particular in the BnZ birds.  Some of the 51 drivers are never going to hit anything because they drop from so high, going so fast that you can defeat their shot no problem.  And if you stick around a certain fight long enough, you know who is there and which birds are the bigger threat.

I suppose some of us would live longer too if we flew more 'anonymous' birds, but I kinda like knowing my 38G is going to be a target right away because it's a 38G :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2009, 12:01:25 AM »
agree with Dan and Steve on this one.  I have called out a few people by plane type and how they flew....and have had some do it to me as well. 
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2009, 01:59:17 AM »
  Don't tell me I'm wrong.

Well, as others have pointed out... you're wrong.  You must be disappointed to learn that having 12 years of sim experience doesn't guarantee you're right about everything.

An enemy is a plane and a pilot, and pilots have varying abilities and tendencies. You would be silly to fight every plane of a specific model the same way when you have the opportunity to  use knowledge at hand to possibly gain an edge, but this is exactly what you are espousing. You go ahead and limit yourself though, while the rest of us use our experience and knowledge of our opponents as part of our tools of the fight. I wonder who is more successful, you or I.

FWIW, for all your many many years of sim experience and your boundless knowledge of the genre, I've never heard of you. Do you actually play this game?

And killn's ki, lately!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:02:19 AM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2009, 02:09:06 AM »
The one I don't see.
The Few ***