Author Topic: Keyloggers  (Read 2822 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Keyloggers
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 12:51:15 PM »
I don't have anything to hide to my knowledge, but I'm not sure since it was quite random. Maybe they think something that I'm not thinking of, not entirely sure.

User accounts are there to be used.. So create separate user profiles for everyone and you no longer have a problem. If you're the owner of the box you can give admin privileges only to yourself and hide your pr0n or whatever is to be hidden in a private folder.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »
You still havn't answered the question.... what are you afraid they will find? If your not afraid because you didn't hide anything, then why worry about it in the first place. If it is "your computer" not moms or dads and your in a house other than your parents or guardian, like with roommates and such then you may have reason to lock down your computer.

I don't know about him, but I dont have anything to hide on my computer, but I would damned sure wanna know why someone was snooping around it. In fact, the lack of something to hide makes it even more concerning that someone is looking through it.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
I don't know about him, but I dont have anything to hide on my computer, but I would damned sure wanna know why someone was snooping around it. In fact, the lack of something to hide makes it even more concerning that someone is looking through it.
Same here...it could even be something that they don't think is good. Basically I just want to know what files they're going through, I'd rather not block it off to them because they'd get quite suspicious.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »
Same here...it could even be something that they don't think is good. Basically I just want to know what files they're going through, I'd rather not block it off to them because they'd get quite suspicious.

lol. You and I think alike. If you lock it, you never get to know what they were looking for.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 10:44:22 PM »
Well with what little info your giving its hard to understand whats going on. If you were my kid and you suspected either me, "mom", or your brother is messing with the computer your best bet would be to ask your folks if they had. If they have been say ok and its all done, if not you might ask them to ask your brother if he's been messing with it and why?

Here in my house all of this would be ok and if it wasn't one of us parent type I'd have my other son hanging over the hot coals to find out what hes up to. On the other hand if I found a keylogger, or was locked out of one of my sons computers the solution would be easy. I'd unplug it, bring it out back, and cut it in half with a chainsaw, and then return it to his room. He would then buy his own computer AFTER he got his own apartment.

Just because a computer is in your room, our you bought it with your own money, doesn't make it yours if you still live at home. Now if your away at college and your worried about a room mate, or others roaming through your room I'd say you have a case.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »
Well with what little info your giving its hard to understand whats going on. If you were my kid and you suspected either me, "mom", or your brother is messing with the computer your best bet would be to ask your folks if they had. If they have been say ok and its all done, if not you might ask them to ask your brother if he's been messing with it and why?

Here in my house all of this would be ok and if it wasn't one of us parent type I'd have my other son hanging over the hot coals to find out what hes up to. On the other hand if I found a keylogger, or was locked out of one of my sons computers the solution would be easy. I'd unplug it, bring it out back, and cut it in half with a chainsaw, and then return it to his room. He would then buy his own computer AFTER he got his own apartment.

Just because a computer is in your room, our you bought it with your own money, doesn't make it yours if you still live at home. Now if your away at college and your worried about a room mate, or others roaming through your room I'd say you have a case.

Are we just assuming spikes is a kid and its his parents? Or has he said he's a kid?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 08:38:29 AM »
I'm going by my memory..... which I'm sure is failing with the rest of me... But I think I remember him saying he was young.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 08:56:17 AM »
I'm going by my memory..... which I'm sure is failing with the rest of me... But I think I remember him saying he was young.
Yes I am, but I bought & built my computer on my own and with my own money. I suppose I'll just leave it be, seeing as I looked through it yesterday and seemingly have nothing to hide.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 09:21:37 AM »
A teenage boy is going to fap no matter what you do. Looking at some gash on your computer screen isn't going to change anything.

Ah thanks, you have a certain way of putting things ever so succinctly yet eloquently at the same time.  I needed a new sig.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
Hahaha. I am glad to be of service. 
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 11:10:10 PM »
Can I borrow your SSN and your bank account information?  I need it for a project.  Promise.

What references do I have of this persons character other than what he types on the intardnet.  I don't know them in person so what makes you think we should automatically trust anyone on these forums?

Don't answer it. Better to be quiet than imply a person may be looking to steal.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:12:35 PM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 11:39:04 PM »
Do you mind me asking why you need a keylogger? Most people will naturally assume you're attempting to steal personal data of another user on your or another person's computer.
\

could be he wants to track his kids?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2009, 01:56:45 AM »
\

could be he wants to track his kids?

Cept a keylogger won't do that.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2009, 08:12:51 AM »
Simpliest solution: Create user accounts to all three persons and make your own folders private through ntfs security. No more snooping.

+1

also make your account the only administrator account on the box, the others should be limited. if you do need to use it, Blazing Tools Perfect Keylogger is pretty good at http://www.blazingtools.com/bpk.html, the Lite version is free iirc.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2009, 09:01:02 AM »
Yes I am, but I bought & built my computer on my own and with my own money. I suppose I'll just leave it be, seeing as I looked through it yesterday and seemingly have nothing to hide.

Possession is 9/10's of the law.

If you are living in your parents house, EVERYTHING in it belongs to them regardless if you, your brother, the cat, the dog or the parakeet bought it with anyone's money.

End of story.

All that, aside, I keylog my kids all of the time.  Call it paranoia, call it oppression, call me the computer Nazi.  I don't care.  I also flat out block sites that I don't approve of.  They are well aware of it, too as the screen tells them them it is a blocked site.  My house, my rules.

My kids are smart, too, but I am older and waaayyyy more stubborn.  They may get past the security once in a while, but I always find a better fix.  I admit, I gotta admire their tenacity as they got it honestly.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.