Author Topic: Aircraft Paint Jobs  (Read 4373 times)

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
Aircraft Paint Jobs
« on: February 03, 2009, 04:48:19 PM »
So I thought I'd pose the question, what country do you think had the best paint jobs for their planes

then part two post your favorite paint jobs, be it a screen shot of a skin, drawing or picture

Me personally I think the Germans had the coolest and wildest paint schemes on their planes

I love their camos, yellow nosed 109s and of course the hypnosis paint jobs on the nose cone

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aircraft Paint Jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »
I'm a HUGE fan of the USN/MC tricolor.

I especially like the look when combined with the red surrounds:

And of course, no self-respecting Corsair would be caught dead photographed without a couple or ten layers of dirt, grime, and over-spray:

:D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
Ever notice that the counter-shading on combat aircraft is an example of biomimicry?

That's neat. :)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline choppit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:26:04 PM »
Google Rudolf Sinner Me-262, I have a couple of combat shots of the bird, it basically looks like a candy cane of RLM 82 and RLM 83 all down the fuselage. I'm going to try and skin the bird as my first attempt. The Germans did know how to experiment with camouflage this plane is no exception.

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »
Ever notice that the counter-shading on combat aircraft is an example of biomimicry?

(Image removed from quote.)

same concept as the corvette mako shark model

"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
Ever see the show Wings on the Discovery channel back in the mid 90s?  I remember a Canadian F/A-18 that had a cockpit painted on the underside of the nose.

Here's a pic:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

well, kind of.  until you remember: sharks usually hunt the wounded.

:noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »
The British were probably the least colorful.  Thiers were almost always brown, green, and black, and later on in the war, they added gray!
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:00:25 AM »
I like Russian and German winter camo and of course American late war with the variety of squadron markings and artwork.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
No doubt the Germans have the wildest paint jobs and I really like most of them, but the USN/USMC Tri-Color's are my favorites..

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »
I'm like some of the guys above. I love the Luftwaffe cammo schemes as well as the tri-color cammo of the USN/USMC

A couple of my favorites.

JG-1

JG-3

VF-17

VF-27

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:02:33 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 05:31:33 PM »
well, kind of.  until you remember: sharks usually hunt the wounded.

:noid

I guess you never seen the show "when sharks fly". It shows a ton of white sharks that use there stealth approach from the bottom to hit unsuspecting seals at the surface. I think most inland water sharks probally rely on sick and injured fish but the bigger examples like the white shark, tiger sharkmainly feed on living healthy food sources.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »
I guess you never seen the show "when sharks fly". It shows a ton of white sharks that use there stealth approach from the bottom to hit unsuspecting seals at the surface. I think most inland water sharks probally rely on sick and injured fish but the bigger examples like the white shark, tiger sharkmainly feed on living healthy food sources.

Even then, if not suffering a previous injury or wound that makes them a more probable target, those marine mammals are temerarious, and that's why they get picked off first.  The white shark is nature's selection tool for weeding out character traits in sea lions. ;)

I used to work at a public aquarium when I lived in California.  When you ask aquarium employees whether the sharks eat the other fish, they're instructed to give you a line like this: "all the animals are well fed and cared for, and by feeding them more frequently than their natural predatory instincts require, we keep inter-species predation to a minimum."  In reality, fish live longer than they should in aquariums.  They begin to suffer from old-age diseases simply because of the good care they receive.  There were numerous sharks our aquarium had to set free because they were too good at caring for the sick and aged.

Oh yeah, in case you're wondering, we never had any incidents with the divers who fed the sharks and maintained the exhibits...absolutely zero.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:10:20 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!