Author Topic: The question of all questions  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Re: The question of all questions
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 09:04:58 AM »
Good post!

I am happy now....

I'll be happy when they add more planes too (just a preference).

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 09:08:53 AM »
Very happy with the game, itself.  HTC produced a fantastic product which, although introduced a decade ago, has maintained the top spot in the genre.

That said, I am less than happy with a minority of the player base and, following reflection, I don't think its simple "longing for the days 'o yore" type unhappiness.

When the DA is filled with Tempests and 4Hogs picking the 'lake from 15K and then landing their kills... I think thats a fairly strong indication that something has changed.

At the end of the day, I hate to stereotype - because there are exceptions - but, although I'm fairly young by AH standards (only have a couple gray hairs ;) ), we're seeing an influx of far younger players who have, in my opinion, been raised in a "win at all costs" world.

That mentality translates into running, picking, hording and, generally speaking, pretty much the opposite of what this genre cultivated, previously.

All my opinion, of course, sans coffee.  Off to deli.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 09:14:09 AM »
The game is GREAT !!! its the people who piss me off !! The hordes, the endless NOEs, the HO and run, the ganging.

Simple example, high pony comes in, I'm in my pony. Hes got more "E" both real, and potential. He attacks, and makes a couple good BnZ attacks extending only 1-2k at the most. He starts pushing things burning his "E" while I continue to dodge and saving/building as much "E" as possible. After 4-5 passes he knows we are getting closer in "E" so its nose down to the nearest base and protection of the ack. So it was a fun fight, for what it was. What I don't understand is why not say and finish it? If you don't stay and fight your never going to learn how to fight with the "E" disadvantage, and you can fight with that disadvantage as I just proved surviving your 4-5 passes. Fight the fight !

To many look for the easy way out, cherry pick, fight with all the advantages, hide in the horde and so on. This game use to be about fighting. Whether its in a plane, or GV, whether it's air to air or base capture, it was always about the fight. That has been disappearing these days. Sure you still find a good fight now and then ( that and squadies are the only thing that keep me coming back), and those are the guys I salute. Win or lose it doesn't matter, tho I prefer to win   :), just put up a good fight!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 09:22:21 AM »
love it!!!

wonder just how many people failed to get it?

:salute

<<<<<<<<<<<<<was watching the guide on the flight back from florida last week.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »
Great Game, some great people - and its those who keep me coming back. Whilst I'm not by any standard a good stick, I have fun most every time I log in.

Whether its flying, gv'ing, or doing the aimless looking for a fight thing, I'll keep coming back whilst the people in the game are as good as they are.

Have to admit, love flying with my squaddies - always making me laugh at the most inappropriate moments (normally causes me to lose another virtual plane, but I can always get another)

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 10:07:06 AM »
Game is great and continues to get better. Its shame player base has got worst with time, and didn't improve with game. I remember coming on game 9 years about. Asked question had 15 or 20 offer to help. not 1 alt f4 not one go Training. And 4 squads saying can join us we will help you. Hell i even miss MWdoody he was too funny. also missed getting paid for being in top 10, would like to see that come back was blast.

wing aka SIGN aka MWROD aka rod367th aka VOSS  and rs59

yes 1 tod used name voss to laugh at private messages. they cracked me up. :lol

remember i fly 20k plus not because i'm a rook,its just i hate draging my pepe on the ground. :rolleyes:

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »
  Still enjoy the game after many years but things have changed some for the better and some for the worse. The Terrain is vastly improved if you can remember the blotchy tree areas and small towns. Everyone gets hungry for new maps or Aircraft. HTC has remained sucessful by always improving the Game.

The Increased membership comes with problems with defending against the horde. Upping against overwhelming odds is not fun. But you will always find a fight where in the past you may have looked harder.

The increased numbers though have made the huge missions such as MOM a blast for all sides. I think the wining on these forums is because we are not able to be on the game right now. See you soon in CyberSky.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 12:12:56 PM »
Hmm! I would say the game and player base is quite the same as it always has been. Now I have not been doing flight sims for very long, in fact this is the only one I've ever tried. But I'd be willing to bet, as " HUMAN NATURE " is pretty constant, that all things are the same as always. The difference is the old timers grew with the game together and I'd guess fairly isloated from many newcomers and outside influence. Now there is a LARGE following and growing population---> ALL at varying degrees of skill just as ALL of the old hands had been at 1 time in there looooong careers as sim buffs! This to include HOing, Vulching, Ganging, Dweebing etc. In fact all these terms were created by the OLD HANDS, so it is obvious they have much experience with these terms even doing them themselves  :aok Now that their skill level is such they find these acts an obamanation and they would gladly alter the learning curve for the entire population so these things did not happen, even if it made the learning curve harder and more discouraging for new folks, "even though it was part of the learning curve for the old hands " :aok

The game is waaaaaay fun with all the good and the bad. I suspect if even parts of the bad were removed, somehow the game would lose some of its fun !
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:16:18 PM by shreck »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »
This to include HOing, Vulching, Ganging, Dweebing etc. In fact all these terms were created by the OLD HANDS, so it is obvious they have much experience with these terms even doing them themselves  :aok

As a caveat, the difference between "then" and "now," with respect to the above, is that when a new player joined AW/WB/AH early on, and did any of the above, he or she was berated on the global channel, asked what he/she did wrong, had it explained to him/her, and never did it again.

The new players were welcomed into the fold because they were willing to learn the rules of the road.  The vets were then, of course, more than willing to help.

Today, I think most will agree that this is not typically the case. 

Today, a new player is far more likely to spam 200 with caps lock on, *demanding* answers to his questions and mouthing off to the existing player base - than he is likely to politely ask for help and remain cognizant of the fact that he is a new arrival in someone else's already-established playground.

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »
As a caveat, the difference between "then" and "now," with respect to the above, is that when a new player joined AW/WB/AH early on, and did any of the above, he or she was berated on the global channel, asked what he/she did wrong, had it explained to him/her, and never did it again.

I find this very hard to believe, as I suspect the demographic was 30 to 40 yr old men made up the population. That They would tolerate being berated then sheepishly ask--> " what did I do wrong " is almost too laughable to believe ! But as always when people trip down memory lane, memories become scewed and the realities of " what once was " are altered by the mind to include--> " what I want you to believe how it had been "   :aok

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
I'm happy with it but just want Zoom to Remember, Puffy to forget and Have a Nice Orange Sunset like we used to have...night is not required.

Offline Joker2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 12:46:42 PM »
Happy?

As long as there is a ROOK Rebellion to crush i'm happy.

As long as people whine on 200 i'm happy.

As long as the guys i fly with are having fun i'm happy.

As long as the game continues to intrigue and challenge i'm happy.

As long as there are skilless pony dweebs and spit dweebs to fluff stats on i'm happy.

As long as there can be an occasional good 1 v 1 or 2 v 1 i'm happy.
I WANTED TO BE THE FIRST KID ON MY BLOCK WITH A CONFIRMED KILL!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »
I find this very hard to believe, as I suspect the demographic was 30 to 40 yr old men made up the population. That They would tolerate being berated then sheepishly ask--> " what did I do wrong " is almost too laughable to believe ! But as always when people trip down memory lane, memories become scewed and the realities of " what once was " are altered by the mind to include--> " what I want you to believe how it had been "   :aok

Berate may be a harsh word, but the point is that the community self-policed and the new members listened.

Either way, the example set forth above was actually my experience.  When a successive version of AW was released (2 I think... maybe 3?), I transfered over somewhat later than others and, having the new-found ability to score hits from a nose-to-nose angle, I took up a 190D-9 which was, at the time, a brand new plane, and I shot someone down with a HO.

He then called me something to the effect of a "HOing Dora-Dweeb," I asked what a "HOing" was and, upon explanation, apologized and didnt do it again.  Many other new arrivals went through a similar experience.

Point is, that willingness to fit nicely into the puzzle, as the FNG, is gone today.  Every 2-weeker is Maverick in their own mind regardless of whether or not they know which key starts the engine.

So, basically, it's not a faulty memory.  Its just how things worked.

The fact that you - as a newer player, relatively speaking - find that sort of behavior "too laughable to believe" is evidence enough that a significant shift in the mentality of the player base has occurred - per my post closer the top of this very page.

Very happy with the game, itself.  HTC produced a fantastic product which, although introduced a decade ago, has maintained the top spot in the genre.

That said, I am less than happy with a minority of the player base and, following reflection, I don't think its simple "longing for the days 'o yore" type unhappiness.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:55:25 PM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Rising41

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 01:22:40 PM »
I'm 2 months into my sub. I like the game. Have a long history of flight simming so this is an ok sim all in all. Graphics are outdated. Player base has the normal amount of very vocal whiners. I'll continue to pay and play the game as long as the powers that be continue to invest in enhancing it. New terrain is a good first step to making this a competitive title in the 21st century.

To the complaining ol'timers...

With all due respect. Accept or move on. Upgrade your computers for the new content ect. HTC is a business. The goals are to grow the subscriber base. I know of two, two week trials that didn't subscribe simply because they couldn't see spending the $15 on CFS2 level eyecandy.

Vox 200 is one of the biggest demoralizers in this game. Full of supposidly good sticks just crying on and on adnausum. HO, vultch, runners, gangers, picks. The excuses and acusations never end. Just STFU and play. Advice too fellow n00bs... Don't tune 200 till you have 60 days under your belt and know you like the game dispite 200.

The core play in this game is solid. Very fun at times and addicting. There are ol'timers out there who drop whatever they are doing atm to help out new guys. Advice, or training ect. They make up for the crybabys.

Meh, seems meaner than intended but there's my $.02

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »
With all this talk of "improving gameplay," "mega squads," "collision model whines," and whatnot, it seems to be a repeated trait of unhappiness with the game, players, etc...  So, the question of all AH questions is:  "Are you happy?"

I for one am happy with AH.  I wouldn't care if any new planes, gv's, etc.. were added; if I got any better or worse at being a cartoon pilot; or if anything really changed at all.  I must say I am content with AH the way it is.  Don't get me wrong I would like to see new stuff added, BUT...it would not hurt me one bit if things stayed the same.  I take the game for what it is:  a game to fly with thousands of people from around the whole freakin world...the WHOLE world, while enjoying different types of combat in aircraft that made history.  I don't care about score.  I don't really care about base taking, but I can do it when it is needed. 

There may be a lot...and I mean a LOT of banter coming from me on 200, but you have to take that like water on a duck's back.  I don't come on these boards and ask for something to be changed because it's not fit for the way I play.  I simply move on and continue flying and dying...as usual  :).

All in all, why can't we just enjoy the game for what it is.

Banshee7
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher