Author Topic: The big furball  (Read 177 times)

TT

The big furball
« on: November 12, 1999, 03:40:00 PM »
 Got old long before AH came along. You wind up with just about eveybody on a team hugin one base. Then the only way you can get a fight is to fly into nine guys waiting for someone dumb enough to do just that.

Could we limit the number of planes that can take off from a given base.This would spread the fight out a little. The number would of course increase as base,s are lost to bombers.

[This message has been edited by TT (edited 11-12-1999).]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The big furball
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 1999, 04:27:00 PM »
 Well, once there is something on the ground to bust, like briges, tanks, convoys, trains and minor real estate, I will be happy to fly a deep penetration strike or recon mission, groung-hugging or hiding in the clouds. Then you will be welcome to intercept me. The combat will be spread out naturally.

Other than that I see no reason to fly anywhere other then to the nearest fields. Currently even if you organise a few friends to fly to the different enemy field, the same nine guys will promptly land/auger and replane at the attacked field, wouldn't they?

miko--

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
The big furball
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 1999, 06:38:00 AM »
I think miko-- is right, TT.  Once winning shifts from capturing airfields to capturing town/villages, we'll probably see less furballing, or ...

...maybe not.  A focal point is a focal point.  If a ground offensive is punching deeply into enemy lines, it'll be priority number one to close that gap.  Hence, activity will build in and over the affected area.  And historically this was true of tactical air campaigns.  Stalingrad, the Kuban bridgehead, and Kursk are all examples of stiffly fought-over focal points, both on the ground as well as the air.  Come to think of it, I can't really think of any similar air campaigns between the Western Allies and Axis powers, since there was usually something missing from their tactical air campaigns, whether it was unequal numbers, lack of focal point, or lack of a tactical air force all together.  The only thing that might qualify would be France '40, or North Africa.

Hmm.  Maybe, we might want to reassess the validity of the massive furball.  It was an historical reality on the Russian front at many times during that struggle.

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 11-13-1999).]
ingame: Raz

Offline indian

• Copper Member
The big furball
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 1999, 09:50:00 AM »
Right now I think the object is to break the server. Which I dont remember ever reading or personally seeing that it went down. THTC wants the mass furballs for now to challenge the sever and see what need to be worked on.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  Cherokee Indian
My Homepage
Where you can find the Key Commands in  files for Word6 Wordpad and text mode.

indians Homepage

Aces High Word6 and Wordpad Doc's available on my web site.

TT

The big furball
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 1999, 01:28:00 AM »
 Your probably right indian. It runs so smooth (for a beta) that, that never occured to me.

Speaking of smoothness. I got dumped to desktop 8 times in 20min. tonight. I ran scandisc on reboot and no more problems. I dont know what it did. But it worked. ive heard people complain a few times about dumps. They might try this.

[This message has been edited by TT (edited 11-14-1999).]

Smitty

The big furball
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 1999, 11:49:00 PM »
About breaking the server.  I've witnessed 2 massive dumps in the last week.  This afternoon, Sat, we lost over 50 people at one time.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
The big furball
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 1999, 12:09:00 AM »
I'm wondering then, if the dumps aren't intentional as well.  Just to see how fast they can get it back up and running... the big dunps, I mean.

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

Offline indian

• Copper Member
The big furball
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 1999, 10:43:00 AM »
Wow only 2 massive dumps. WB is probably on 200 by now, no maybe not more like total dumps server down again.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  Cherokee Indian
My Homepage
Where you can find the Key Commands in  files for Word6 Wordpad and text mode.

indians Homepage

Aces High Word6 and Wordpad Doc's available on my web site.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The big furball
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 1999, 09:02:00 PM »
"A focal point is a focal point. If a ground offensive is punching deeply into enemy lines, it'll be priority number one to close that gap. Hence, activity will build in and over the affected area."

It seems to me that taking fields now in the beta is pretty unopposed. Big Furballs continue right along at forward fields while rear fields fall like dominoes.

Maybe people just like to furball?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
The big furball
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 1999, 12:32:00 PM »
Toad Quote -----
Maybe people just like to furball?
----- End Quote

Pretty much true for me at this stage.  

Mino

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
The big furball
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 1999, 09:07:00 AM »
Leonid:
, I can't really think of any similar air campaigns between the Western Allies and Axis powers, since there was usually something missing from their tactical air campaigns, whether it was unequal numbers, lack of focal point, or lack of a tactical air force all together. The only thing that might qualify would be France '40, or North Africa.

Would Dieppe, Dunkirk, or Marketgarden apply?

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
The big furball
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 1999, 03:19:00 PM »
Pongo,
Dunkirk, I agree.  Was thinking of that too when I typed 'France '40'.  

Dieppe.  You're very probably right.  Didn't those Fw 190's sweep everything from the sky?

Marketgarden I'm not so sure of, since LW air activity by this point in time was sedate. most JG's having pulled back to defend Germany.  But I may be wrong.

------------------
129 IAP VVS RKKA

Sorrow[S=A]

The big furball
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 1999, 07:38:00 PM »
London blitz?

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.