Author Topic: Observations on the CH fighterstick  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
Observations on the CH fighterstick
« on: February 11, 2009, 07:36:37 AM »
As you may or may not know, my X52 died a horrific and violent death. I decided to try out CH as I really had had it with saitek and there wasn't much else to choose from. I had a logitec and, after plugging it in in desperation the other night for a fix, can't for the life of me understand how I ever flew with that piece of junk. So I ordered the CH setup not understanding that when they said it had X, Y, and Z axisis (axes, axis', whatever) I thought it meant it was a twisty stick. Well, on of the axis was the throttle rotator. I haven't won any awards for excess intellect lately. CRUD. So now I'm waiting for my rudder peddals to arrive and have been banging around the DA just for fun without any rudder controls.

Well, this thing is as smooth as glass! It seems to be more precise and refined. Because of the long throw it seems to negate my hamfisted tendancies quite nicely. (I'm 6'4", 270 and have been called many things, but never "delicate".) The eight way hat is entirely in the wrong possition and needs to be where the four way hat is. This is apparently a case of total retardation on the part of the manufacturer and the only thing I can assume is that whoever put it there never really flight tested it. It makes using the hat with the pinky switch a real pain that's gonna take some getting used to. You have to float your hand up off the rest to reach the eight way which makes pulling the trigger a bit awkward as many of your fingers are doing other things leaving few fingers to perform the actual gripping of the stick. The buttons on the throttle aren't in the best location either and it needs a secondary slider like the saitek to control a twin engined bird. I don't fly 38s or 110s much so it's not that big a deal but still irritating.

I guess I'm gonna have to learn to fly all over again (assuming I had a clue what I was doing before) to learn how to use the rudder pedals. But if it shapes up the way I think it should, this is gonna be a killer setup.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Observations on the CH fighterstick
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 07:53:02 AM »
WOW! you must have little tiny girly hands !!  :D which if you think about must look pretty funny on that frame of yours j/k

Homeboy does a lot of mods on the CH sticks, turns them into lefty sticks, and yes even shortens them a bit. Good luck with the new gear, you'll never look back !

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 08:01:40 AM »
Bubba your take on the 8 way hat is spot on though in time you'll become used to it. Welcome to the wonderful world of CH bliss.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:04:12 AM »
Thanks for the post. I ordered a CH fighter stick and throttle last nite. I've been using the X52 for 3 years now and the JS is about shot. I think what I'll do is use the X52 throttle with the CH JS.  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:08:43 AM »
I think what I'll do is use the X52 throttle with the CH JS. 

You'll be fine with that combo tho having used both Saitek and CH throttles, the former offers a slightly better configuration. What are you doing for peds?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 08:26:08 AM »
I've got the full CH setup and have never looked back.  I had read that the CH Fighterstick is a reproduction of the sidestick in the F-16 Viper.  In the Viper, it is a sidestick and as such was designed to be used just above leg-level on the right side of the cockpit.  Since most people set their joysticks on top of their desk (myself included), the reach and angle is not how the designers indended the stick be used.  So, people complain about the hat switch, etc. being "wrong".  You'll get used to it.  If you have the throttle, you might want to do what I did before Track IR...set your POV control to the 8-way hat on the throttle.  It's much easier to use, especially since the throttle doesn't move much in the heat of battle like the joystick does.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 08:35:40 AM »
WOW! you must have little tiny girly hands !!  :D which if you think about must look pretty funny on that frame of yours j/k

Homeboy does a lot of mods on the CH sticks, turns them into lefty sticks, and yes even shortens them a bit. Good luck with the new gear, you'll never look back !

:rofl  When I read the OP I thought "maybe my hands aren't so small after all!"  So, some 6'4" behemoth and me both have to leave the hand rest to use the hat switch?!  Awesome! ;)

It actually has a lot more do with the length of your fingers than anything else.  If you've got long, guitar-player fingers you won't have trouble even if your hands are small.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »
i use the 8-way hat on my throttle for my views. it's much easier. combine that with the pinkyswitch on the stick, for the upward views. this actually doesn't interfere with anything else, as i use my left index finger for flaps up n down, middle for wep, left pinky for zoom. leaves my right hand free for firing, and controlling.

you'll love the ch stuff dude.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I use the 8-way hat in the Fighterstick for views and the pinky switch for up-view modifier. Btw, the right and lower wheels are for calibration of x,y axes, not trim adjustment (just fyi). I use the left wheel to feather my prop.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 09:32:53 AM »
I use the eight way and castle for views. The castle is for my 4 main views = back, right , left and forward up. No CH throttle yet. I use my old logitech extreme 3d pro for throttle and additional buttons.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
Look for a post by Homeboy on how to mod the four-way hat into an eight-way hat. Then you wont have a problem.

Also like IamADot said the fighterstick is much more comfortable when used as a sidestick.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »
You'll be fine with that combo tho having used both Saitek and CH throttles, the former offers a slightly better configuration. What are you doing for peds?
I have Saitek pedals,which one of the toe brakes don't work anymore I might add. CH pelas are next on my list. The only thing holding me back from using the CH throttle is the slider on the X52. I've been using it for my field of view zoom for quite sometime now, and it really helps with my dead level 6 shots. Once everything arrives in a few days, I'll see what I can come up with to configure the CH stuff to my liking.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
Look for a post by Homeboy on how to mod the four-way hat into an eight-way hat. Then you wont have a problem.

Also like IamADot said the fighterstick is much more comfortable when used as a sidestick.
http://snomhf.exofire.net/8-WayHat.html

Hallelujah!!!!  I did this in about 10 minutes, and I'm a total amateur at this kind of stuff.  Wow!
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »
The only thing holding me back from using the CH throttle is the slider on the X52. I've been using it for my field of view zoom for quite sometime now, and it really helps with my dead level 6 shots.
I use the throttle's 4-way button on my index finger for the zoom toggle:  up to toggle on/off, right to zoom in, left to zoom out (down is for WEP).  Works great for situations (and GV's) where you need to zoom in for whatever reason.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
I have cut a piece of foam to put on the stick that raises your hand up a bit. It just so happens that it is 5/8 the same amount that homeboy cuts out of the stick. The foam is 5/8 in the back{where hand rest} and then tappers down so that you can still use the pinkie button. Kind of a wedge. The foam is one of those noodles that the kids float on in the pool. They never knew I cut a piece off till they saw it on my stick. You could also use modeling clay and form it to fit. You could then add or remove some as needed. Thought of that after the noodle idea.
  For the 2 engine problem if you used the Control Manager you could make it work both motors. Yes there is a learning curve for the program but there is a good write up a book called Control Manager for Dummies.  You can always go over to the forums at CH and ask there. Yes alot of people willing to help out.  Homeboy is there too with his profile and his mods. I believe his name is smrof over there at the CH Hanger. I'm sure he is willing to point you in the right direction or someone will always answer you questions. Looks like some gave Homeboys address while I was typing.
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks