Author Topic: CW-21  (Read 458 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
CW-21
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
Here's an idea for an early-war bird:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss-Wright_CW-21

Utilized by the Chinese and Netherlands, and actually held its own rather well against the Japanese before beaten by overwhelming numbers.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
Re: CW-21
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:57:03 AM »
Yeesh, that sucker can climb.  Maybe because it weighs 4,500 lbs loaded  :lol

only 64 built though :( I know there are rare birds already in game, but I feel like this will be the biggest complaint against it...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:56:18 PM by druski85 »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »
It DID however see combat at squadron strength. Only one or two squadrons, but squadron strength nonetheless.

Besides, it would be REALLY useful to have for very early-war scenarios (especially China vs. Japan before the AVG got involved). And you gotta admit, it'd be something DIFFERENT.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »
Yea I agree...and I'm sure I'd enjoy flying it.  I'm just awaiting the horde of "fill X plane set first, they were important!"  replies.

Bring on the early nimble fighters, in my opinion  :aok

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:00:20 PM »
Yea I agree...and I'm sure I'd enjoy flying it.  I'm just awaiting the horde of "fill X plane set first, they were important!"  replies.

Bring on the early nimble fighters, in my opinion  :aok

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:05:01 PM »
Ok, crap like that and the n00kie animation is really, REALLY irritating and uncalled for, and frankly I'm tired of seeing them.

Here's my wish: I wish Skuzzy would just start zapping those request animations.

I KNOW we need the 111 and soon. This thread was ENTIRELY in response to the constant barrage of Late War uber-fighters. Thank you VERY much for the hijack.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »
The Demon was a great bird, I'd imagine it had a lot of idiosyncrasies to deal with tho. I haven't seen any specs on the bird to really say either way.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 11:35:24 PM »
Some interesting information here:

http://www.warbirdforum.com/cw21.htm

Apparently, standard armament was two .50cal and two .30cal, with all four synchronized to fire through the propeller arc. She could carry an additional two pairs of .30cal in the wing (total of six .30s and two .50s).

She could out-climb the Zero, but not out-turn it. However considering the Zero outperformed most Allied aircraft of the period in all parts of the flight envelope this is a pretty important distinction. The article suggests a superior rate of roll, as well.

I'd expect that the narrow aft fuselage wouldn't hold up that well under fire.

This site gives an estimated wing loading:

http://www.airtoaircombat.com/detail.asp?id=630

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 12:18:27 AM »
Ok, crap like that and the n00kie animation is really, REALLY irritating and uncalled for, and frankly I'm tired of seeing them.

Here's my wish: I wish Skuzzy would just start zapping those request animations.

I KNOW we need the 111 and soon. This thread was ENTIRELY in response to the constant barrage of Late War uber-fighters. Thank you VERY much for the hijack.

That was only half-serious. And besides, I think my He-111 animation is the ONLY request animation out there... Any other He-111 stuff was made by me too, so I guess you can blame me for those too.