Author Topic: parameters for an effective torpedo drop  (Read 1233 times)

trey

parameters for an effective torpedo drop
« on: December 23, 2000, 11:54:00 AM »
will it be the "200 200" rule? Ya know in wb'S a good rule was under 200 feet AGL, and under 200 IAS and the torp was off to a good start. Anything more and the torp was liable to explode on contact with the surface. Just curious if anyone has read, heard, etc....

thx ammo

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2000, 08:59:00 PM »
Im droppin mine under 100 feet...

this way my avenger would be harder to pick off from the boats and from prowling bad guys..

------------------
aka Nefari...

Fighting in the air is not sport, it is scientific murder...

[This message has been edited by Nefarious (edited 12-23-2000).]
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2000, 09:04:00 PM »
In WBs I used the "150-50" rule; 150mph and 50 feet off the deck. Sometimes I'd get down around 20 feet just for the fun of it. How'd I do that without crashing? Hours spent going NOE with an Me-262. At 500mph you don't have much time to react when less than 50 feet up. Even now I practice NOE in anything just to keep my skill up. Lets you get real close to the water in a torp drop without taking a bath. If you want to bone up on NOE, take a Tiffe NOE flying; 350mph is plenty fast for practice. Use the exterior view "F4" to get a rough idea of your height. Once you get used to doing that offline and outside the plane, try it from inside the plane. If your system can hack it, use the Hi-res texture patch. Lets you see more detail and gives you a little better depth perception.

-----------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2000, 09:40:00 PM »
Think in RL..

The US torps had to be dropped from less than 150 ft at less than 150 knots didn't they?

Where as the japanese torp was droppable from up to 200 ft and possibly 200 knots as well...

I am guessin tryin to remember the numbers from my old AoP days..

AKskurj

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2000, 03:32:00 PM »
Well I'm gonna drink a gallon of rye to get enough COURAGE to approach the enemy fleet...see Hitech's post.

By then I'll be so drunk that an inverted torpedo drop may seem possible.  And after I miss with my torpedo I will make a high G turn and aim for the nearest Flattop  

Offline Tony Williams

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2000, 01:48:00 AM »
What about distance from the target?  In the 1920s the Royal Navy did lots of air-dropping tests with the following results:

1,250 yards distance: hit probability 10%
1,000 yards: 30%
750 yards: 50%
600 yards: 85%

Such attacks were a bit hazardous.  In WW2 the length of a tour of duty (30 missions for bombers) was rated at just 3 (three!) missions for torpedo attacks.  I don't know if anybody calculated the probability of scoring a hit against that of being killed, but I'd rather be on the ship....

Tony Williams
New book: Rapid Fire - The Development of Automatic Cannon, Heavy Machine Guns and their Ammunition for Armies, Navies and Air Forces.
Details on my military gun and ammunition website: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~autogun/