Author Topic: College Scholarships...need help  (Read 940 times)

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
College Scholarships...need help
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:50:15 PM »
Well it's for my daughter and she's my oldest so I am not sure where to go to find what I need.  She was to get into a pre-med school and it's not a pipe dream she is in the top 5 of her class and taking all the AP classes she can.  She is a very driven young lady and is the type that if she wants it she will get it.  We live in Indiana so I would like her to stay in the state but if she can get the right deal she can go anywhere.  She took the SAT for the first time a few months ago and scored a 1300.  She is a JR. this year so I wanted to start now applying or atleast looking around because to be honest I can not afford medical school.  I will help her all I can but I can't just write a check to cover the cost.  She was looking into Butler University but it's $27,000 a year....eeek.  She is going to apply for FAFSA and that will help.  Also with her grades/test scores she should get more help.   Any advise would be helpfull as this is my first time going through this...HELP!
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline superpug1

• Probation
  • Silver Member
Re: College Scholarships...need help
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »
FAFSA wont help if your making good money. My parents are supposed to pay 32,000 a year for school, so says FAFSA. My dad is an assistant principle, my mom is a facilities manager at the local university... There is no bloody way... From what I can tell with her grades she will get some merit scholarships from the school. I was in the top 10percent of my class and only scored a 1296 on SAT, that merited 10grand a year from OU, and 6 grand a year from Embry Riddle Aeronautical. The military is a good source of money... I have a type 2 USAF scholarship, it does come with a 4 year minimum commitment so do your research... There are tons of websites that have lists and lists of scholarships that apply to you. you set up a profile.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:16:24 PM »
Yea Stroker my mom did not qualify for any FAFSA either...apparently a well paid high school teacher can afford 14k a year. (state school  :aok)  However my SAT score was in the same neighborhood as your daughter (1340) and my class rank was decent, so I got a merit based scholarship to help cover it.  If they do not outright offer one, don't be afraid to inquire when you go visit.  Treat it like a job interview, essentially having her point out what she would bring to the table.  In many cases, the university will grant some funding if she can pitch her case. 

Other than that, as superpug said there are countless websites that compile scholarships, just keep your eyes open.

Side note:  Did they stop making SAT scores multiples of 10 sometime in the past 7 years?

"scored a 1296 on SAT"    :huh

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:50:59 PM »
Thanks guys.  We have looked at some sites but it's hard to pick the one that is not going to take your info a sell it or end up with tons of junk mail.   She already gets invites to colleges all over the country as I am sure lots of High Schoolers do.  Just so hard to find the "right" one to deal with.  Some time in the spring we are going to Indy to check out IU and Butler and see what they are all about.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »
If she can score well on her ACT tests, there is a lot of help available. My son did very well on his, and got all kinds of offers. I think he scored a 32, and the top is 36. Saved us a lot of $ and headaches!

See if your state has any programs available. Missouri has one called "bright flight" (sp), and if you meet the academic rules, they pay 1/2 of the cost of a 4 year college.

I have a daughter who is a senior this year. I do not think she will score as well, and we are struggling with the how the heck can we afford it. We can help some but not all that is needed! She is working on applying for scholarships every weekend.

Good luck

Frodo

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 04:20:52 PM »
I'm a Junior in high school and haven't taken the ACT but once (in 8th grade)...scored a 22 then, so I'm kind of anxious to take it again and see what I score.  I'm #3 in my class, less than half a point (100 point scale) between me and #1. (Overall average is 98.89)

[/bragging]  :P
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 05:24:55 PM »
I will be putting my daughter on my payroll. She'll be going to A&M University next fall. She is in the top 3% which means she was accepted. Once accepted the University sent lots of info on scholarships and grants available for her choice of interests, which is meteorology. Another source is High School Counselors... they can point you in the right direction also. Good Luck!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline spacer

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »
Don't forget to look into Grants too!  You may make too much money, but it is worth a try!  Check with the local Jr. Colleges and see if they can give you any advice.  If there financial aid department is worth anything they should help by at least answering questions and giving forms.  They all kinda follow the quote, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste!"

Good luck to you and Most of all to her

Spacer

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 11:35:31 PM »
http://www.college-scholarships.com/free_scholarship_searches.htm
I don't know how reliable this search site is, but google scholarship lists to get more lists.

Without a doubt, the work that any prospective student places into time spent putting together a scholarship application will be the absolute best return on respective time spent working.

Lets say they spend a full ten hours (probably far above necessary) on an application, and receive a mere $2000 scholarship.  Where else is a high school kid going to have the opportunity for a $200 per hour job for 10 hours.  Then spend just a little bit more on a few more applications and voila!

<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 12:37:05 AM »
We with the economy in the state it is my income should get low enough I can get food stamps.  I work in the RV industry and my income use to be respectable but has dropped every year for the last 3.  I am a single parent and my she lives with me....and has since she was 2 when her mom and I got divorced.  It would just sicken me to have my daughters goals, dreams and hard work go down the drain.  I have always raised her to have those goals, dreams and to work hard for the things you want in life.  But in the same token no one is going to hand you a golden ticket.

We have talked about the military and that is an option on the table but it will be a last resort.

Thanks everyone and Momzilla I'll look into that website.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 01:28:24 AM »
Stroker I hate to say it but do what you have to do to get her through. She can help in fact. If it were me I would take a second job or third if I already had two (hopefully you still have work).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »
Stroker I hate to say it but do what you have to do to get her through. She can help in fact. If it were me I would take a second job or third if I already had two (hopefully you still have work).

I work in Elkhart county live in LaGrange county and if you know anyone with a camper it was probably built somewhere close to me.  Yeah we built that many here.  Right now Elkhart county has the highest unemployment rate in the country at 15% and it's still climbing.  But I will do what ever I can for her I always have.  The problem with a second or third job is it's hard to find a first job.  But I am still employed just work is real slow.  Anyway if you know anyone looking for a park model tell them to check out http://www.dutchpark.com/index.html   

She is bullheaded enough to get through this and to make her dreams happen.  We plan on testing that theory that "If there's a will there's a way".  And we will find it.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 11:21:27 AM »
www.collegeboard.com

They have a free scholarship, grant, and loan search.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 11:46:17 AM »
There are quite a few grants that are not based on income but rather on GPA.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 11:53:31 AM »
My step son, Randy, has been looking at various colleges this past year and one surprising thing I have learned is that many schools that have a hard time recruiting have OUTSTANDING scholarship opportunities based on ACT/SAT scores and GPA.  The example I will use is University of Wyoming.  He has a mid 3 GPA, and scored a 25 on the ACT. Worse than your daughter's scores.  He has been accepted at Wyoming and with those scores qualifies for Peak acheivement scholarship of around 2/3s of the tuition/books/dorm.  Her scores look to place her in a situation where she would receive close to a free ride.  And yes, those numbers are based on out of state tuition.  (we do not live in Wyoming).

Her big advantage is her grades and test scores.  

Another thing you might consider instead of a private school like Butler is a state school for her to get her Bachelors, and then a transfer to another school should she still be interested in a doctorate.  

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom