Author Topic: What does it take to perk?  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: What does it take to perk?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 05:20:46 PM »
Don't make me list all of the aircraft which are slower than the SpitXVI. :D
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2009, 05:23:37 PM »
Don't make me list all of the aircraft which are slower than the SpitXVI. :D

Which I would do if someone claimed the 16 absolutely sucks and is being about the slowest fighter in LW :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »
Yes let's perk what amounts to a MW AC in a late war arena.
XVI= LF Mk IX = early 43 IIRC.   :rolleyes:
See Rule #4

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2009, 05:31:30 PM »
Give it 150 octane fuel and i would be more than happy for HTC to perk the hell out out of it. :)
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »
Give it 150 octane fuel and i would be more than happy for HTC to perk the hell out out of it. :)
Or give me the old Mk V back. :pray
See Rule #4

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »
Perk the 51D !!!

Lotsa reasons.

runs and hides.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
Perk the 51D !!!

Lotsa reasons.

runs and hides.

I'm confused.. are you running and hiding over the comment or are you describing most 51 pilots game play? ;)
See Rule #4

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »
I love claiming the La7 is Uber and then watching people go ballistic. Better ballistics than the Lala's cannons actually.

La 7 is Uber! Perk it!
Retired

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 06:30:11 PM »
Lol.

Both gameplay and the amount of P-51s you see in the game.

You have seen the kill stats on those planes, haven't you?

It was the most famous plane of WW2 for a reason.

Super fast, great guns,range, great visiblity, carries plenty of ord.

And contrary to popular usage, its pretty manuverable too.

I say perk it!

I've seen worse arguments for perking planes, GVs etc in here.

just my opinion.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
Yes let's perk what amounts to a MW AC in a late war arena.
XVI= LF Mk IX = early 43 IIRC.   :rolleyes:

Lets get all hung up on dates and ignore capability. :rolleyes:
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »
Lets get all hung up on dates and ignore capability. :rolleyes:
:rofl RJ MITCHELL is laughing at you also.... from beyond the grave.
See Rule #4

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »
Today we must have killed 4 or 5 Bish 262s that tried to support a big GV attack on one of our airbases. Did you ever wonder why nobody really fears 262s when they show up? Unless you are in bombers? But even then? They are more like oddities you just have to keep an eye on instead of actually fear them.

Like today the 262s tried supporting ground action down low and they just got chewed up avoiding HOs, indeed, a few times they left themselves open to the HO by avoiding them. I know a few times I couldn't turn my IL2s fast enough and had the 262 unleashed its 30mms it would have been curtains for the big guy. But they cost so much, even when cheap, and they actually hold so little advantage where most of the fighting is done that there is never any real reason to fear them.

The Tempest?? Different story. The Tempest is a pure killer and its no surprise to me its the dominant perked killer in the game. Its very, very fast. As in "very fast" anywhere you go in the Alt. column. With drop tanks it has very good range. Its 4 20mm Hispanos is the dominant gun package in the game. And the odds of finding someone unskilled in it is about zero. I took one up a few times and this thing is a beast. As for turning? Well if your keeping the fight at 300+ mph then I guess only your fast turning ability matters right?

And since its far cheaper perk-wise then the 262 guys fly it a lot more aggressive. No the Tempest is a real killer. No doubt about that.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 06:52:48 PM »
Today we must have killed 4 or 5 Bish 262s that tried to support a big GV attack on one of our airbases. Did you ever wonder why nobody really fears 262s when they show up? Unless you are in bombers? But even then? They are more like oddities you just have to keep an eye on instead of actually fear them.

Like today the 262s tried supporting ground action down low and they just got chewed up avoiding HOs, indeed, a few times they left themselves open to the HO by avoiding them. I know a few times I couldn't turn my IL2s fast enough and had the 262 unleashed its 30mms it would have been curtains for the big guy. But they cost so much, even when cheap, and they actually hold so little advantage where most of the fighting is done that there is never any real reason to fear them.

The Tempest?? Different story. The Tempest is a pure killer and its no surprise to me its the dominant perked killer in the game. Its very, very fast. As in "very fast" anywhere you go in the Alt. column. With drop tanks it has very good range. Its 4 20mm Hispanos is the dominant gun package in the game. And the odds of finding someone unskilled in it is about zero. I took one up a few times and this thing is a beast. As for turning? Well if your keeping the fight at 300+ mph then I guess only your fast turning ability matters right?

And since its far cheaper perk-wise then the 262 guys fly it a lot more aggressive. No the Tempest is a real killer. No doubt about that.

If you ever ran into Furball in a 262... it'd change your mind in a hurry.
See Rule #4

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2009, 06:55:52 PM »
:rofl RJ MITCHELL is laughing at you also.... from beyond the grave.

In fact he is not. His spirit is still vengefully haunting the children and grandchildren of whatever casting director decided to have David Niven play him in the movie "Spitfire."

But seriously, yours is a completely empty rebuttal. It is statistically demonstrable that the Spitfire XVI is very capable in terms of  performance compared to the whole AHII plane set, a fact which you cannot truthfully deny. So you obfuscate by pointing out that its performance is basically equivalent to the LF Mk. IX...may I be the first to say, so what? If we perked airplanes in relation to how rare/common they were or date of introduction the Ta-152 would still be perked, and the Me-262 might well be unperked.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:57:43 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »
In fact he is not. His spirit is still vengefully haunting the children and grandchildren of whatever casting director decided to have David Niven play him in the movie "Spitfire."

But seriously, yours is a completely empty rebuttal. It is statistically demonstrable that the Spitfire XVI is very capable in terms of  performance compared to the whole AHII plane set, a fact which you cannot truthfully deny. So you obfuscate by pointing out that its performance is basically equivalent to the LF Mk. IX...may I be the first to say, so what? If we perked airplanes in relation to how rare/common they were or date of introduction the Ta-152 would still be perked, and the Me-262 might well be unperked.
Any LW AC will walk away from it at top speed. It is fragile and poor over the nose view.
Perking it will only lead to the perk the Mk VIII because its the supposed next best.
Because that is exactly what the XVI drivers will jump into.

Now tell me about the huge diff between the Mk XVI and the Mk VIII. :rolleyes:
See Rule #4