Author Topic: Fix the Wirble  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fix the Wirble
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »
Another abuse of the WW is in field attacks. Two or three WWs can take down the town faster than the same number of, if not MORE, Tigers. So no, it's not just the vulcher's day they're ruining.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 12:00:50 AM »
No, they don't.

I've seen wirb tracers flying past me from WAY more than that. Hell, icon disappears at 1.5 for GVs, and they damn near tear me to shreds well before icon ever shows up.

EDIT: Case in point, I think I have film of an LTARD in a wirb firing his rounds up at an angle from miles away from a town, and LANDING HITS on the town buildings, almost from the spawn point he started at.

More than 1.5 for damn sure.

EDIT2: Your tests may not show the hit sprite after a certain range (this happens for me) but that doesn't mean the round has stopped. I've landed hits out far enough in fighter-v-fighter to not see hit sprite but to reap the rewards. The rounds are still there, you just don't see them land all the time.
I'd like to see that film then. Because I've yet to take a hit past 1.5 .
See Rule #4

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 12:01:41 AM »
Trotter, a single wirble can clear the entire area around it before any of them can get a shot off. It's lethal from a single ping on any part of any fighter/attacker out to 2.5k (and I've had wirb tracers bracketing my plane left and right by a hair's width so far out from the offending GV that is 3-4k out), the speed at which it fires and the number of guns, the super powered rounds they fire, means they can put up 4 walls of ammo so fast that you can't avoid them, fly between the rounds (which for any other gun is a weakness) or even get near. You can't even rocket, bomb, or strafe a wirb without it killing you before you're even inside drop/fire range.

It is, to put it bluntly, bull****.

It fires too fast, for too long, moves at super retarded speeds.

It's a GV that's taken up well over 90% of all aircraft kills in the entire GV family, is used and abused repeatedly and at every fight I see in the game, and the performance specs are way way above what they were in real life.

So yeah, perking it would be the best solution but fixing the damned uber fire rate and specs would be good as well. Even with those fixed we'd still see enemy wirbs parked on friendly runways at all times like they do now.

If all else fails, they should simply remove the secondary fire button. Make it ONLY EVER fire 2 guns at a time. This simulates reloading the second pair of guns while the first pair fires, and vice versa.
Good way to put it. And you will still see Wirbs all over, but their effectiveness will be limited greatly, and you might actually have a .1% chance of surviving as opposed to a .0001% chance.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 12:07:04 AM »
Equipment in the game should modeled as accurately as possible, period, and WW rounds will NOT register on the paper .target at 1.5K
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2009, 12:13:23 AM »
Isn't it strange to see someone defending a model known to be inaccurate, and even accusing those who want it to be accurate of whining?  Talk about the twilight zone... :huh
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2009, 12:38:15 AM »
Isn't it strange to see someone defending a model known to be inaccurate, and even accusing those who want it to be accurate of whining?  Talk about the twilight zone... :huh
Stranger that we agree on some things and not others. :noid ;)
See Rule #4

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »
Equipment in the game should modeled as accurately as possible, period, and WW rounds will NOT register on the paper .target at 1.5K

For all you know that's a limitation of the .target command and not the rounds themselves.

You can fire a yak's cannon round from 1.7k at 20,000+ at a formation of B-17s and land hits. It all depends on the life of the round and the atmospheric conditions. Last night in the MA some newbie was sitting on the runway at a20 firing his 75mm down the runway. We saw the shells probably 6 miles from the field, climbing up past 8-10k, and they were whizzing below us (he still parked on the runway). My squaddies saw this and had to tell me what was firing at me. MGs have shorter lives, cannons longer lives depending on the ammo itself. Seeing as this is an AAA round with the most potent firepower any 20mm gun in the game has, I'd say that's a long lifespan.

Bronk: Here's the wirb video, unedited. You'll notice they're more than capable of killing outside 1.5k range. They can track, follow, and fire upon you before you have icons on them. LTARghst even laughs after we kill him. He knows what he was doing. Can't even bring bombs or rockets on these wirbs without risking death before you get anywhere near range, let alone guns. It was PURE LUCK that I took out ghst's gun turret. I've made the same attack run dozens of times and not taken out the gun most times. I think this was only the 3rd time I've turreted a wirb since it's been introduced, and one of those times was with a T-34.

http://www.nakatomitower.com/71sqn/Bs_wirb.zip

1.4mb

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2009, 01:23:25 AM »
Thats not a wirb Krusty!  :rofl
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 01:32:06 AM »
Looked again. Right you are!

I just picked the first film I had. Note the first one is the ost, others are still firing at long ranges as well.

I cleaned house after I started using the name popup dialog box to name my films, so I lost a lot that I didn't want to review. I know I had more in those.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2009, 01:34:22 AM »
Also want to point out that a Mossie that fires steadily at 1000 range will never close with a P51D on the deck. Just saying.  :D
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2009, 01:41:16 AM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl OMG LOL!!!!

Oh, I guess that you're not supposed to risk death when attacking flaks huh?

Geez!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:44:10 AM by RipChord929 »
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2009, 01:44:26 AM »
Not that funny. Just one of MANY examples. I know I recorded half a dozen before I got sick of trying to record the BS the wirble creates, but going back I only have about 20 un-named ah film files now (used to have over a hundred) so either it's lost or I can't be bothered to go find any of the unnamed ones.

You edited your post after I replied, so I'll edit mine:

:rofl :rofl :rofl OMG LOL!!!!

Oh, I guess that you're not supposed to risk death when attacking flaks huh?

Geez!!!

The risk of going anywhere near a wirble is instant death, whereas they can pretty much defend themselves against most attacks in the game. Unless you level bomb them from 6000 ft (which is still under 3k gun range, FYI), they can shoot you down before you can get within accurate rocket range or bomb range, let alone guns range.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:46:26 AM by Krusty »

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2009, 01:57:22 AM »
Not that funny. Just one of MANY examples. I know I recorded half a dozen before I got sick of trying to record the BS the wirble creates, but going back I only have about 20 un-named ah film files now (used to have over a hundred) so either it's lost or I can't be bothered to go find any of the unnamed ones.

You edited your post after I replied, so I'll edit mine:

The risk of going anywhere near a wirble is instant death, whereas they can pretty much defend themselves against most attacks in the game. Unless you level bomb them from 6000 ft (which is still under 3k gun range, FYI), they can shoot you down before you can get within accurate rocket range or bomb range, let alone guns range.

I have spent a lot of time in a Wirble and I have never gotten a kill at 1.5k.  I have found the effective range their guns is 1k or less.  I saw in a post somewhere that the in game range of the Wirble's guns is only 1.7k.  I don't know if that is true, but I can say from my standpoint that anything past 1k are wasted shots.  On the other side I have had many of eggs dropped on me from higher than 1k which resulted in me getting sent to the tower.

I agree, at least with me if you get under 1k around my Wirble you most likely will get pinged.  On the second pass you will probably die.  The only time I find it difficult to hit something under 1k is when they are doing 400mph across the field, unless they are coming straight at me.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 02:15:36 AM »
OMG, would you guys quit cryin already!!!

Their gunfire is easy to dodge, and their turrets are
fragile, and a 250lb bomb can kill them...

Geez, what do ya want...
GVs to be sittin ducks for any fighter again? Right???

God forbid ya fly close to the ground and a flak kills ya...
OMG, that NEVER happened in reality, huh???

WWWaaaahhhhh Booooooo!!!!

So a request to model a GV more in according to it's real life stats is considered whining by you?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Airborne

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2009, 03:29:36 AM »
Can't even bring bombs or rockets on these wirbs without risking death before you get anywhere near range, let alone guns. It was PURE LUCK that I took out ghst's gun turret. I've made the same attack run dozens of times and not taken out the gun most times. I think this was only the 3rd time I've turreted a wirb since it's been introduced, and one of those times was with a T-34.

Then maybe you should check into the TA. I've only been in AH for a month or two now, and let me say, as someone who spends most of his time in ground attack a/c or gv's- panzer and the wirble, you are suckin on eggs if you cant turret a wirble. I've had mustangs turret me, typhy's, spits, all kinds of planes- let alone the damned IL2's. However, I've also learned how to bomb ACCURATELY from outside of 1.5  and use not only a dive bomb but a toss method as well- coming from my other WWII combat flight sims, it wasnt hard to adjust.
 The IL2 is also a huge favorite of mine, and all it takes to kill a wirble with it is a little patience. Most mistakes that I see people make is they come in waaaay too slow and straight right down my gunsights trying to get the quick kill. They make SUCH an easy target. The guys who really make me hate life when I'm in a wirble come in from the sun, at an extremely steep angle, near vertical, and are jinking around- but they line up for the 1 to 2 second burst that turrets me, then peel off and consider their next attack if I survived. The other method I hate is trying to track 2 IL2's that are running in at the same time...

And the other scenario, if your trying to bomb them, and "its just too hard" :rofl take up two 500lb-ers, or heck, make it 2 1000lb-ers and pickle them off with a slight delay either manual or preset along the MTD (Maneuver Target Direction --- along the axis of travel, since they cant pivot) and voila, rinse repeat, and stop crying about these trivial matters.

Sooooo many things are modeled incorrectly in sooooo many games. Yet, I have the feeling that if every sim were modeled perfectly, noone would play them for lack of skill or patience, I mean, why dont we have random engine or component failures in the flight model? random track damage from overspeed for gv's, etc. etc. the list goes on and on and on. I guess in the end is HTC does it best to provide a balanced game that can satisfy as many as possible while also ensuring a decent profit margin. Nothing will be perfect for everyone, and odds are if you cry about too much, someday it may inadvertently-- or intentionally for that matter, nerf something you like due to the lack of balance.