Author Topic: 30mm damage  (Read 15163 times)

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
Re: 30mm damage
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 01:16:04 PM »
Anyone who flies 30mm birds often has probably run into this before. There's been numerous threads started about this issue, but very few films. You earn that sweet tater shot on a Spitfire only to have him shrug off the hit with minimal to no damage and fly off as if nothing happened.

In this case the lucky Spit14 takes a fuel leak after being hit by a 30mm round from within d200...  :cry

http://dasmuppets.com/public/Scotch/SPITTATER.ahf

I fly the 109k4 99% of the time I am in the game. I have noticed this same problem for quite some time. It seems like about a year now. Before that a single 30mm hit would totally destroy a plane and most time just blow it up if you had 2 or more hits.

But now days I get point blank 30mm hits and nothing. It appears to me that when a very high angle, high speed crossing snap shot happens that the damage is none. I see the hit and they just fly off. The more g's, the closer you are and faster the target passes by equals less damage.

I too have also flew right up the six of an afk plane and pumped 5 or more 30mm into them with nothing. At most a flap falls off.

The other thing I have noticed is when I land a solid 30mm hit it the plane flys off like nothing happened then I look back and 2 or 3 sec later it explodes. I am beggining to wonder if there arent sever side issues.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 01:25:43 PM »
I was out there last night in Blue, also.

Same issues.  Hit a spit with a or two spud, and his flap fell off.  Wow.   :huh

Then he panicked, pulled back (a bit too much, I guess) and ripped his wings (both of them) clean off, flew around like a canoe for a few seconds till someone came along in a Pony and lit him up the rest of the way.

WOOT:   Assist

Strange things are DEFINITELY afoot at the Circle K.

:noid
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline CDR1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 01:27:29 PM »
Does anyone know just how the "hit vs damage" calculations are done? I imagine the surface of the plane is divided into areas that have some sort of "armor" value and an impact on that surface results in a calculation that in turn picks a damage level and displaces that damage. I have noticed that damage levels change dramatically in GV's after they are "Tracked". I put this down to some sort of " Angle of impact" feature in the calculation. Perhaps there is some sort of marginal problem with the calculation of that armor/gun size/angle.
Bottom line is I think most of us have no idea if this particular problem is just a tweak fix or a major recalculation. It would be nice if the game minders were able to tale advantage of all the dedicated players here and let us help work some of this stuff out. I for one would be willing to put in some time.  

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 01:35:18 PM »
Armor value on a spit?    :rofl

I've seen their wings come off out-of-hand more often than I see them get damaged from ordinance.  In fact, I get more kills on them that way than I do from shooting them (Insert comment about my gunnery here ____________)

It must be related to the amount of players in the arena.  When it's very busy I (usually) see more buggy events.

I have, however, noticed what you mentioned about tracked GV's. 

I don't know too much about the mechanics of damage modeling (except damage that I receive, of which I know a lot about.  I know there is plenty of it, usually)  :D 
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 01:47:49 PM »
All i know is in the 152 moot put a uber tater right into my head. I just went poof.

I have had it happen when flying the yak doesnt it have a 30mm tater in it. it took thee hits with the tater to get a fuel leak on the other guy.

On a side note i saw a pictrue of the 20mm they pulled of Glacier Girl and strapped to a snowmobile they then fired it at a 50 gal drum that thing split wide open. I can't imaging getting hit by even one or tow of those and not going down in a fireball.
Does the 38 in AH have the exploding round modeled in it?

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »
Most all "cannon" are exploding rounds... it deals with the definition of "cannon" and such (a search would get you the info of what you need

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »
When I first started reading this thread, I was wondering if HTC had actually tried to model the safe/arm behavior of the Mk 108 ammo, and that maybe some rounds simply weren't exploding at close range because of this.

Anyway, while trying to find info on how the 30mm rounds were fused, I found this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/weapons15.htm

Although it doesn't shed any light on why we're seeing inconsistent damage in-game, it's still very interesting. Specifically, read the section about 3/4 down the page that describes how the ZZ 1589 & AZ 1587 fuses work. Very cool. :aok

Totally off-topic, but why don't you add this to your avatar Agent360?  :D :rofl
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:15:24 PM by Cthulhu »
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
Bwhahaha  ^

Hugo Weaving is awesome.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 07:59:32 PM »
When I first started reading this thread, I was wondering if HTC had actually tried to model the safe/arm behavior of the Mk 108 ammo, and that maybe some rounds simply weren't exploding at close range because of this.

This isn't modeled. I remember DAing skyrock a while back in 109Ks and if I remember right we both KS each other at least once because we got tater hits on the other guy from very short range.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:40:26 PM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 08:38:30 PM »
Yup I have I have been killed by my own taters many times.  Same thing that happens in an Osti if you accidentally shoot a tree or hangar at point blank range.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 09:33:36 PM »
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=258664.msg3209355#msg3209355 date=1234994432

Totally off-topic, but why don't you add this to your avatar Agent360?  :D :rofl

[/quote]

LOL who the heck is that?

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »

Agent Smith if I am not mistaken.

(just a guess, but it looks like the same actor (actress <G>)

(edit: Hugo Weaving is the actor.  And I JUST NOW figured out he played Elrond in the ROTK movies.)

(edit:edit:  AND he was the V character in V foor Vendetta.  didn't know that either)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:02:19 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 10:15:25 PM »
I took a HO shot from a 262 in my pony today...all it did was kill my engine and I was able to glide back to base  :lol
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 02:09:39 AM »

:rofl Nearly spit my drink on the monitor.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:27:56 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 04:47:21 AM »
Yep, 30mm sux.  :D   www.savanne.org/ah/190testmovie.wmv  (right click and save as)
I am a spy!