Author Topic: Flight Model?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
Flight Model?
« on: December 27, 2000, 02:44:00 PM »
Do you think that the FM is getting dumbed down too much. If we took the FM's from say WB and FS2000-CFS2 for comparison-it seems to me that AH has lost a lot of torque effect and lateral inertia.  In fact I'm not sure it ever had much lateral interia.  My own personal whine is that I waited three years for rudder pedals and now I hardly need them. I can fly off the carrier with rudders pretty much centered. Hmmmmm.  The ball still moves out on turns which require the rudder for correction-but FM seems kind of stiff some how. EG: Seems like the A6M5 and spit V should have a sort of fluid bounce to them.  I am not in complete flight model withdrawals yet but I tend to picture what I saw on various air war movies/documentaries for my idea of what a fighter does-like when a spit turns in on the bogeys tail and drifts over a bit from inertia causing the pilot to correct to line up his shot etc. The planes were fluid and alive!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2000, 02:56:00 PM »
I find rudder pedals to be very useful for fine tuning for a snapshot. While I also think torque is too weak now I find rudders to be very useful.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline bolillo_loco

• Copper Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2000, 03:01:00 PM »
I dont know, but if you like the corsair you should like aces high! I think these guys who came over from air warrior did not like the 38 and so they modeled it so it couldnt even meet its minimum performance specs, but never mind this they will come up with some sort of mathmatical, opinionated, or vague statement to support their claims

hey, if the corsairs doesnt fly like you like it, than make it more uber!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Flight Model?
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2000, 03:45:00 PM »

I think these guys who came over from air warrior...[/B

Eh? Hitech Creations was formed by former members of the Warbirds development team.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2000, 04:20:00 PM »

Originally posted by bolillo_loco:
I dont know, but if you like the corsair you should like aces high! I think these guys who came over from air warrior did not like the 38 and so they modeled it so it couldnt even meet its minimum performance specs, but never mind this they will come up with some sort of mathmatical, opinionated, or vague statement to support their claims.

Nonsense.  First, the makers of Aces High were the makers of Warbirds, not Air Warrior.  Second, I exclusively flew the AW P-38 for almost four years.  I loved it; it was a great overall ride and the most versatile plane in that game.  However, even I think that for all its shortcomings, the Aces High P-38 is probably closer to the mark than the Air Warrior one.  If you want something with similar feel to the AW 38 in AH, try the Spit IX.  In AH, it holds many of the same strengths and weaknesses: very good but not the best at turning, nice vertical control, medium speed, above average acceleration, nice firepower.  Alas, there's no "airbrake" like on the AW 38, but that was improperly modelled anyway.

hey, if the corsairs doesnt fly like you like it, than make it more uber!
[/b]

The specific Corsair flight model hasn't been changed in a very long time now.  All planes were affected by the addition of autotrim and corrections to incorrectly modelled E bleed.  Frankly, I don't see what the fuss is with Corsairs.  I've never had a problem with them in AH, and I suspect with a little practice most people wouldn't either.  They're just another plane with some above average guns.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Flight Model?
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2000, 01:37:00 AM »
Gotta agree with BBGunn here.

If you think the FM's are fine, try this quick test.  Grab an F4U or F6F on a carrier.  Turn EZTrim off and then adjust rudder trim so that it is exactly centred and in line with aileron trim.  Start engine, hit full throttle and WEP and do not touch your rudders or ailerons.

You'll find that these 2000hp beasts track perfectly straight down the CV with no hint of torque.

Something is surely way different than earlier versions.  Perhaps torque was too much for the new guys to handle?

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2000, 04:11:00 AM »
heheh I hate to tell ya but Dale cut his flight sim teeth in AW and THEN wrote WB when the AW guys wouldn't give him the time of day <G>

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Flight Model?
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2000, 05:23:00 AM »
Another weirdness is that you can't raise the Corsairs tail until it's nearly at the end of the deck.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2000, 07:41:00 AM »
 No wind Juzz.

-Westy

lazs

Flight Model?
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2000, 12:15:00 PM »
jekyl... not saying you are wrong about lack of torque in AH but... Why do you single out the Hog with it's "2000 hp" ?  

If you go by lbs per hp and wing area, most of the other, if not all of the other planes should have more torque effect than the Hog.  Most of the german planes with their light weight, high Hp and high wingloading should be twice as bad as the blue planes.
lazs

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2000, 12:27:00 PM »
Way dumbed down this release.

I can takeoff and land Corsairs and Hellcats from the CV with impunity.

My total fighter time in AH since it was released in beta is almost none.

In 1.4 I could get a Corsair fully loaded off the runway but never did walk away from a landing attempt.

I liked the 1.3 Corsair, get that thing off the ground and you did something.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Flight Model?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2000, 12:35:00 PM »
torque feels weak as hell now tracks straight, on cv at full power, in 1.03 it took concentration to take-off a corasir- now a blind retarded monkey can do it

funked

Flight Model?
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2000, 12:49:00 PM »
Hey you aeronautical geniuses, tell me what the indicated airspeed is for a plane sitting on the deck of the carrier.

PS Torque is proportional to power / prop rpm.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 12-28-2000).]

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Flight Model?
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2000, 01:25:00 AM »
Funked, you asked for it:

36.3 mph, the current speed of our Essex-class carrier. Also the top speed of that perticluar ship, and the Baltimore-class cruiser.

-----------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Flight Model?
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2000, 01:36:00 AM »
Fer chrissake Lazs.. I was not having a go at the big blue bird!!!!!!!

AFAIK the only fighter aircraft that can take off from carriers are the F4U, F6F, A6M5B and Seafire.

And of those, only the F4U and F6F have 2000 hp engines.

If the P47 was carrier capable, I would have tested it as well!!!!!

How could I have 'singled out' the Hog when I specifically said 'F4U and F6F' ?

[This message has been edited by Jekyll (edited 12-29-2000).]