Author Topic: Whats Up with you guys  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
Whats Up with you guys
« on: February 19, 2009, 05:46:23 AM »
 I'm having a rant here

Now i have been noticing that when young players try to play this game the old players tend to leave them out.

Now they can be 15 or 16 and totally non squeaker but the old guys still have it in for them. Now this kind of thing really has to stop. The gaming community these days is mostly young people and being mean to them is gonna just in essence tell them to P** off and not come back and in turn going to lower sub rates and inadvertently cause the cancellation and Eventual shutting down of the game we love so much.

For this reason i must strongly suggest you guys lay off the young players and if they get annoying don't just yell SQUELCH say "dude could you not do that please" and that way everyone is happier and if they don't stop squelch them for ignoring your warning.

I also wish to stretch the point that AGE has nothing to do with skill. A misconception i have noticed is that anyone under 30 is a complete noob and not to waste your time on. Now if this continues it will create hostility and eventual confrontation. THIS IS A GAME and everyone wants a good time so respect everyone no matter their age no matter their pitch of voice and no matter their skill.

OK
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: Whats Up with you guys
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:21:30 AM »
Young and old have a very different way of looking at things. They (for the most part) are trying to turn this into some teen aged version of Quake High. I don't expect folks to see things the same as I, but I'm not gonna watch that happen and just stand by. That aside, WHAT does a 40-ish guy and a 15 year old kid have to chat about? Certainly nothing in life (who said what about WHO in school? :lol.....his newest tongue piercing ? :huh...the Jonas Brothers? :rofl :rofl) So it just comes down to this game, and our different approaches, and for the most part, those approaches, those attitudes,  are simply day and night....no reason there isn't room for both, but don't expect them to converge
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 06:36:44 AM »
I'm having a rant here

Now i have been noticing that when young players try to play this game the old players tend to leave them out.

Now they can be 15 or 16 and totally non squeaker but the old guys still have it in for them. Now this kind of thing really has to stop. The gaming community these days is mostly young people and being mean to them is gonna just in essence tell them to P** off and not come back and in turn going to lower sub rates and inadvertently cause the cancellation and Eventual shutting down of the game we love so much.

For this reason i must strongly suggest you guys lay off the young players and if they get annoying don't just yell SQUELCH say "dude could you not do that please" and that way everyone is happier and if they don't stop squelch them for ignoring your warning.

I also wish to stretch the point that AGE has nothing to do with skill. A misconception i have noticed is that anyone under 30 is a complete noob and not to waste your time on. Now if this continues it will create hostility and eventual confrontation. THIS IS A GAME and everyone wants a good time so respect everyone no matter their age no matter their pitch of voice and no matter their skill.

OK

And in the real world I'm not a fluffin baby sitter.  OK you make some valid points for an ideal world, which this isn't.

Skill level as in ACM is very much an even keel and like you said nothing to do with age.  When we talk of team work then the MAJORITY of younger players ain't got a clue or lack the discipline or attention span to see it through.  Far to many example of newbies screwing it up for the rest of us.  One kid, no matter how many times you tell him, will still keep typing on channel 6 help (orange text).  Will still keep upping of a CV 1 sector out, blah blah blah. 

So it comes to a point where 1 kid / newbie is buggering up a plan for 15 + other guys.  I advocate tolerance at first but when they don't listen then I STRONGLY advocate giving the kid a good telling off.  Shape up or ship out.

Metaphor

Farther bull and son bull crest a hill and in the valley below they see 10 very pretty cows.  Son bull eagerly says to father bull....."lets run down there and shag one each".  Father bull replies ...."no son, lets walk down there and shag em all"

P.S  click top link in sig for translation of "shag".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:44:12 AM by LYNX »

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 06:38:14 AM »
With all due respect Plawranc that knife cuts both ways.

This is an adults Sim, with gameplay, so if younger members work hard to act mature, and responsible, they tend to be greeted with open arms by the community.  If on the other hand they act like a bunch of 11 - 13 yr old hoodlums, they get treated like them.

I've been here since AH opened its doors, and I've been a AH Trainer for most of that time.
I bet I deal with more new young players daily than anyone else here.
Just like people everywhere, some are good, some have attitudes, some are loud, some expect everything
handed to them.

Those who can't follow rules get educated by me pretty quickly in the TA.
Those who treat others with respect and consideration find lots of help and advice.
But if you want to come into a community, first rule is you have to adjust to the community.
Don't expect the community to adjust to you.

Average age of AH pilots I think if you added them all up would probably be mid 30's or higher.
So if your under 18, try acting like your 35.
Listen much, say little, proper grammar, good sentence structure, and a good attitude all go a long way around here.

Read the manual or a few of the help pages instead of just endlessly saying "How do I fly"
And when you are directed to the trainers site or the netaces site, actually take the time to go there.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 06:39:56 AM »

This is an adults Sim, with gameplay, so if younger members work hard to act mature, and responsible, they tend to be greeted with open arms by the community.  If on the other hand they act like a bunch of 11 - 13 yr old hoodlums, they get treated like them.

I've been here since AH opened its doors, and I've been a AH Trainer for most of that time.
Just like people everywhere, some are good, some have attitudes, some are loud, some expect everything
handed to them.

Those who treat others with respect and consideration find lots of help and advice.
But if you want to come into a community, first rule is you have to adjust to the community.

Average age of AH pilots I think if you added them all up would probably be mid 30's or higher.
Listen much, say little, proper grammar, good sentence structure, and a good attitude all go a long way around here.

Read the manual or a few of the help pages instead of just endlessly saying "How do I fly"
And when you are directed to the trainers site or the netaces site, actually take the time to go there.

What he said.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 06:41:47 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 07:09:11 AM »
Young and old have a very different way of looking at things. They (for the most part) are trying to turn this into some teen aged version of Quake High. I don't expect folks to see things the same as I, but I'm not gonna watch that happen and just stand by. That aside, WHAT does a 40-ish guy and a 15 year old kid have to chat about? Certainly nothing in life (who said what about WHO in school? :lol.....his newest tongue piercing ? :huh...the Jonas Brothers? :rofl :rofl) So it just comes down to this game, and our different approaches, and for the most part, those approaches, those attitudes,  are simply day and night....no reason there isn't room for both, but don't expect them to converge

I'm 52, and been at AH off and on since 2002.  I agree with bj229r.  Also, I do befriend kids in the game.  Sometimes with embarrassing and vexing results.  The embarrassment I can put up with.  The frustrating ones like getting continual check 6's (hasn't happened in years) is another matter.

In my experience, it's not the kids who are the crux of problem.  It's the 18 to to under 30 crowd who have something to prove socially.  Those who engage in verbal combat and are just generally combative.  Makes the game less enjoyable.  The same sort of antagonism we see here on the bulletin board.  That sort of thing.

Now, to say something on the kids behalf, there are some that are fun and want to learn.  Yes they gush and say things you wish they hadn't said on the country channel.  But one flew with me a few time a few days ago.  Was a good kid.  Was more of a plus than a minus plying AH with him.

A lot of downside of Aces High comes up on range channel.  The worst of it have come from post pubescent adults not squeakers.  At least that's how it has been on my end.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 07:28:04 AM »
I've posted missions that, at times feels like I'm Mother Goose being followed by goslings. But there is that occasional kid that joins that surprises the hell out of me when he asks virtually the same questions a well mannered, respectful adult would ask. :eek: <<S>> to thier parents.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 07:35:01 AM »
I'm with Lynx and Ghosth, if you act like an A--hole your going to get treated like one. Whether your a kid or an adult it really doesn't matter. Unfortunately, these days that gap is closing much too fast.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:05:34 AM »
I'm having a rant here

OK

i have never seen anyone in my old squad(hired guns) or in my current squad(satans playmates) exclude or berate younger players.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »
I'm having a rant here

OK

I dont think anyone actively berates or attacks younger players simply due to age.

What they (we) are attacking is stupidity.  It just so happens that, more often than not, stupidity and age share an inverse correlation.

What all new players need to understand, regardless of age, is that plenty of us have been playing these games for more than a decade.  As such, we have developed a fairly tight-knit community and, by and large, have a certain way of doing things.

When a new player full of piss and vinegar shows up after getting "pumped up" watching Pearl Harbor, starts shooting his mouth off, and generally acts like an bellybutton - the reaction will not be favorable. 

So - lets try it this way since, in my humble opinion, the real problem here is that the younger generation has issues with accountability.

If you dont want to be treated like a child, dont act like one.

Simple as that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:48:35 AM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:49:50 AM »
one has to beg the question,

to alt + f4 or not to alt + f4.     :t
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
I usually go for weeks without squelching anybody, but recently I've had to squelch 2 or 3 players every time I log in. inane running commentary, wingman chat and just talking bollocks on country ch gets old fast.

problem is, you try to point them in the right direction and they just ignore it. theres a guy on nits atm who must be in his first week, hes now offering to "teach" other newbies how to fly. yesterday he posted a "take teh HQ!" mission and, despite experience players explaining why it was a waste of time, spent 10mins shouting on country ch trying to fill the 2 C47 slots ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:02:44 AM »

handed to them.

Excellently put Ghost...and right on the mark! 

The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »

img.httpblah//nutshell.jpg/img      <too lazy to post a pic

~AoM~

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 09:17:43 AM »

handed to them.

This pretty much speaks for me, but I'd like to make one addition:  increase the price back to $30/month. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!