Author Topic: skin request/question  (Read 489 times)

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
skin request/question
« on: February 20, 2009, 02:10:58 AM »
My grandfather flew as a flight engineer on a C47 in WW2. DDay, Market Garden and all. I have some pics of his plane, although not a pic that shows the tail. Have one that shows the number on the nose "4J" plus various pics with parts of the plane in it that really dont show anything more than my grandfather or paratroopers. I have the info of everything on the plane with the exception of any tail numbers.

My questions: would any of the skinners be interested in skinning this bird, and what all indentification numbers would I need? I Know the nose had the big 4J on it and the Tail had a big K on it. Know the colors and can get more info as needed from my grandad.

I will post pics when I get them on my PC. Id like to share all the pics I have with ya ll because Im really proud of my grandad and he wont be with us forever, I even have his actuall flight logs sitting next to me now. Very interesting seeing them. They are written on any paper he could get his hands on. Binded together as they have been since 1945. I wanted to get them scanned and put on PC but they are so brittle it falls apart. First thing I looked at was the log for June 1944, and there it is, 6-6 cherbourg, combat. 6-7 cherbourg, combat. His outfit dropped the boys from the 82nd AB.

He said he thought that the first run on DDay was a milkrun. And he told the boys on the ground that it was a milkrun when they landed. The boys on the ground promptly pointed to the tail section with the rudder half shot away. He then realized otherwise. On a later mission, his seat was shot away by ack, luckily he was, I believe, in the back of the plane at the time. He doesnt feel like he did anythign special, just did what he was supposed to do. And he doesnt understand why anybody gives a damn about what he did so many years ago. Doesnt know that there are people like us on Aces High that think that the guys that fought WW2 are some of the greatest and bravest people that have ever lived. Just did what he was supposed to do. He was awarded the Air Medal with 3 clusters. Amongst other medals and ribbons that he doesnt talk about.

Anyhoo, if someone would be intersted in skinning this plane I would be greatly appreciative, sorry about rambling on about my grandad, but like I said, I am very proud of him. Ill get the pics up ASAP, although my first child is due any day so getting them up has taken a backseat lately.

:salute
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: skin request/question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:55:39 AM »
I have a template for the C-47 so I could do this skin if you can find out the tail number. However I'm busy with other stuff right now so it wouldn't be for a few weeks at least.

The "4J" code was for the 305th Squadron. I've found a couple of photos of C-47s from this squadron, one is aircraft "B" tail code 315121 and the other is aircraft "G" tail code 315125.

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: skin request/question
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 10:58:59 PM »
tail is K. Or K King as Pa calls it. Ill see if he has the tail number.

Greebo, I appreciate it, and of course no hurry. Im actually in hospital with the wife tonight, may be having our little fighter pilot this weekend. But I will post any and all info in this thread when I can get back to "active duty". Time to try this "Dad thing".  :salute
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)