Author Topic: Why are the ..........  (Read 743 times)

Hazel

Why are the ..........
« on: January 12, 2000, 07:43:00 AM »
Why are the B-17 so weak?  The slightest little shot kills the 17.  I think that the B-17 is stronger then it is in AH.  I have been reading a lot about it and finding out how tough it is and other info about the B-17 and I was wondering when are you guys gonna make it stronger like it was in WWII????

<Salute>
      Hazel
      Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group Member
      Fighters Make movies. Bombers make       HISTORY!

[This message has been edited by Hazel (edited 01-12-2000).]

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
Why are the ..........
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2000, 08:31:00 AM »
Shame on you for making such a blatant troll...  

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
Why are the ..........
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2000, 01:40:00 PM »
There is another side to this issue, in that the pilots killing the B-17's are able to get a LOT of practice in this sim.  The pilots attacking the bombers have quickly learned how to minimize the effects of a single bomber's defensive fire while growing increasingly effective with their own weapons.  Fighters in AH are able to get in close and get a large volume of fire on the target, often with plenty of time to do so.  

It wasn't often in WW2 that B-17's flew alone, or even in 2's and 3's like we see in AH.  They usually had the combined defenses of dozens of bombers to ward off attacks, allowing the fighters only a minimum amount of time to actually fire on their target. Luftwaffe fighters were forced to carry many heavy cannons so that they could get enough shells onto the target during a short firing pass to do enough damage to disable or destroy a bomber.  Bombers that fell behind the formation (stragglers) were quickly singled out and destroyed much in the way we see here in AH.

MiG

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Why are the ..........
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2000, 05:07:00 PM »

The pilots attacking the bombers have quickly learned how to minimize the effects of a single bomber's defensive fire while growing increasingly effective with their own weapons.
They have? All I get is single fighters coming in with the dead 6 "roller-coaster" attack - it doesn't work; I get to practice my deflection shooting, and when they take their shot they get hammered.

Offline RAS

• Copper Member
      • http://flyingaces.bizland.com/54sq/main.htm
Why are the ..........
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2000, 03:26:00 AM »
I'M WITH JUZZ....STILL ALOT OF GUYS ATTACKING FROM THE 6.  FORTUANTELY I HAVE LEARNED NOT TOO, BUT THE 17 IS STILL FORMIDABLE IN THE RIGHT HANDS....HOPE THEY DON'T MAKE IT ANY MORE DIFFICULT TO KEEL THAN IT ALREADY IS.  ONCE WE DO START FLYING THE HISTORICALS WITH MULTIPLE A/C FORMATIONS IT WILL BE VERY DIFFICULT TO SMOKE EM.

RAS