Author Topic: early war AC : a lost hope?  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
early war AC : a lost hope?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2000, 10:40:00 AM »
1 month ago i was whining about c-hog
now i am not

I can whoop a c-hog in my 190 almost every time if co-alt, and if hes not co-alt 90% of time i get away from him.

the c-hog is NOT uber, and i dont even fly it too much so dont say im a c hog weenie   seriously i think the p51 may be closest thing to uber in the game, i know that when i strap myself into one i feel nearly uber (except against b26 hehe)

but im not saying the p51 isnt modeled right, it is its just a good plane  

ands the spitfires? i dont mind them anymore either.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2000, 12:51:00 AM »
I look forward to the day when early-war aircraft make their debut here, and I'm not worried about any balance issues, because I know that HTC are very conscious of this.  I'm very confident in the fact that HTC will implement some method/arena that will allow a competitive environment for the early plane set.

Remember, we think about these things in our idle moments.  HTC think about these things, because it's their livelihood.  They'll figure it out.
ingame: Raz

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2000, 04:48:00 AM »

Early war planes will be cannon fodder, no matter what type you put in. D520, Spit I, Tomahawk, they can all hope for a miracle to get a kill, not to mention a positive K/D.

Dunno about that.  Back in the dim dark pre-AH days when I flew brand W, we used to have the infamous 'Jet Day' at the end of each tour of duty.

I used to love taking up the Spitfire 1 on those nights.  It was amazing how many guys in Zeros and late Mark Spitfires saw the 'Spit' icon and automatically assumed I was flying a Spitfire XIV, only to find me turning circles inside them  

Got myself a brace of Me262's one night, together with a F4U-4 and a Fw190D9, all in the space of two sorties.

And you gotta believe I NEVER let those jet drivers forget they'd been bagged by a 1940-era aircraft  

Offline fats

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2000, 05:51:00 AM »
--- Hristo: ---
Early war planes will be cannon fodder, no matter what type you put in. D520, Spit I, Tomahawk, they can all hope for a miracle to get a kill, not to mention a positive K/D.
--- end ---

The early war planes are not hopeless against the late war stuff. In WB my personal best was over 5 kills with Hurricane Mk.I and its .303cals in one sortie. I am quite certain I had K/S over 1 and even landed a sortie or two. P-40 with its .50cals and roll rate was a real killer too.

<edit>
To gatt mainly:

I considered my time spent flying the lesser planes fun, got me self enough kills to make it worth while. Even if the kills were mostly people I got to bounce, and couldn't really hunt anyone down.
</edit>

//fats

[This message has been edited by fats (edited 06-01-2000).]

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2000, 06:15:00 AM »
But, where is the historical aspect of taking a Spitfire I or Hurricane against a 262 ?!?!

Sounds like gaming the fantasy game to me.

Properly flown late war bird will eat properly flown early war bird for breakfast. The rest are just exceptions, due to various pilot skill, tactics, luck or other factors.

To prove my point, I am ready to challenge anyone to disagree for a duel: me in G-10, him in Spit V.

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2000, 06:48:00 AM »
To Hristo,
Where is the historical aspect of flying a 109 with a spitfire as a wingman?
This is fantasy gaming, my friend  

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2000, 07:49:00 AM »
I support the idea of getting more early war AC.  They somehow pronounce pilots skills more.  I don't know if that's exactly true, but that's how I feel about it anyway. BoB is my favourite scenario, right after Winter- and Continuation war.  

But like funked said, it would be nice to get a complete planeset - even though it is the late war.  A complete planeset is probably better than bits and pieces here and there.

But those who say that the early war kites won't manage in the MA, are wrong, imho.  The performance difference of the planes can be turned into your advantage - engage on your terms!  And I can almost bet that those flying "inferior" planes are better team players anyway - they have to be, in order to survive from the hordes of über planes!  

I only fly the G-2, and not just because I'm a finn and the XO of Lentolaivue 34.   Flying a generally "inferior" plane is a lot more fun than cruising in the stratosphere in a G-10. Engagements are much more intense in an early war plane.  I believe my skills have developed much faster than they would have, had I flown a late war über plane.  

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2000, 08:32:00 AM »
Pzvg, HA is something I would like to see first added to AH.

And never had I winged with a Spit. P 51 or Niki maybe, but Spit - NEVER !!  

Yes, Camo, that G-2 is tough in right hands. Reminds me of a smartly flown Spit IX. The 2 vs 2 fight with 190s vs your G-2 was the best fight I had in AH. Both teams on RW, AFAIK.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2000, 06:17:00 PM »
One thing we might see with early war aircraft is more challenging fights.  

One blast from a c hog kills anything in the arena at the moment.  And sure it would pop early war planes too, but 2 early war planes in a scrap with nothing but MG's may find themselves exchanging fire, accumulating damage and having a great time.

Alot of the Late war Ac can't take much more damage than the early war planes and in some cases (Hurricane) maybe even less.  

It would be nice to see in the future 2 arenas, 1 with the full planeset, all aircraft early, mid, latewar etc, and another  permitting only pre 1942 or something like.

But alas ya need the pilots to populate first

SKurj