Author Topic: Icon Range Whine  (Read 1014 times)

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
Re: Icon Range Whine
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
I read where 85% of ALL WWII kills was when the pilot was not aware of the plane behind him. Don't count me true on this though.

I like the short Icons but I wish we had none as well though.

Quick Icon story back in Bob08 frame 2 I think.

There was no enemy fighters over england. So I cruised more inland to find some action in my 109E. I find a hurricane just climbing, about 5k below me. As I get closer. I start getting more Icons. I guess a squad but not sure. As I get closer to my hurri. I see a nice cloud formation that he is on the other side of. I think, since he can see my icon not as well. Coming through the clouds. Thats what I decide to do. Knowing that I would loose alt to the 4 other cons(spits). I really wish whiskers was here to confirm but I do have film of it. I said "Get the rescue team ready". I dive through the clouds. Dove under the hurri came up 200 out, scratch one. I race back to the clouds hoping the spits do see me. I didnt think so, but as I dove out to go home. Found a spit chasing. Beat the spit 1v1 for a good 5 minute fight. As I raced home due to low fuel. 25+ RAF fighters come diving down. Soon Jg26(my squad) and I think Shegotyas and maybe JG11 was in a furball on the deck. I obviously didnt live through that. So I bail and make a 30 minute walk to the closest rescue team.  :lol
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 06:23:18 PM »
I do not have a high performance system and I enjoy the short icon ranges.  In fact, I would prefer it for the main arenas, too.

On the subject of icons;
I don't seem to remember the setting in FSO, but is it possible (or has it been considered) to turn the 'full icon' off, so instead of having the icon tell you what specific aircraft it is inside of 800 yards you have to visually identify the variant? Ex., you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an La5FN and an La7 unless you knew the visual differences between the two types?

I think it's already like that, Bubi.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 06:28:19 PM »
I think it's already like that, Bubi.
I wasn't sure. It may be that in FSO's I already know what types they are, and I don't pay attention.
Actually, come to think of my last engagement, I think you're right.

Disregard :)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 06:30:54 PM »
It doesn't matter too much in this FSO because either LA can run every Japanese plane down.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »
I don't seem to remember the setting in FSO, but is it possible (or has it been considered) to turn the 'full icon' off, so instead of having the icon tell you what specific aircraft it is inside of 800 yards you have to visually identify the variant? Ex., you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an La5FN and an La7 unless you knew the visual differences between the two types?
CM's in all events have two settings to choose from concerning icons. Long (MA settings) or short (Snapshot and FSO normal settings).

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure