Author Topic: Flat Scissors  (Read 1691 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Flat Scissors
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 09:38:36 AM »
Well let's be honest here, Steve...  He's talking about doing a flat scissors in a P-38.  Either way he tries it, you're drooling :)

and sooner or later, i'll figure it out too.  :D

unless of course, i learn to keep myself out of situations that require it to begin with.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »
OK, heres my ideas, take them for what is worth. I see 3 things that might be causing you trouble.

Fuel, how much fuel do you have on board when you try this? A heavy 38 is a slow 38. Its a much different animal if your fuel heavy. It can be flown, but when your slow it is even harder to get her to roll over.

Combat Trim, combat trim in the 38 can make that plane do all kinds of odd things at slow speeds, or high AoA. For most of my flying I leave CT on, but when I'm going to be throwing the plane around or doing stall moves I flick it off.

Rudder, you said you used it, but not full. CT may be giving you trouble, but I've never had any trouble giving it full rudder. Full rudder is very important to get her to roll over. Check out the BFM film posted of Rolex's recent class. In the first section they do some Split S's and he shows the difference in roll rates with and without rudder input. Its even noticeable in the pony they are flying.

So any one of the things can give you a nose up condition, even not getting your roll all the way over.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 10:35:19 AM »
The secret to any successful overshoot is to let your opponent see as little of the start of it as possible. In the situation above you would want to set the maneuver up by pulling the opponent into a near blackout turn while cutting throttle progressively then roll left and under into the blind spot of the left wing/cockpit of your opponents plane you should watch your opponent's speed and roll state to adjust throttle and the timing of your next scissor.
Starting maneuvers right in front of your opponent only invites them to mimic your manuveour especially if they are dead on your 6.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the guy rolling all the way around or my reaction to it. If the guy pullls the  move he mentioned on an experienced player, he's gonna give up a nice gun solution and probably be sent to the tower.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 10:55:03 AM »
If the guy pullls the  move he mentioned on an experienced player, he's gonna give up a nice gun solution and probably be sent to the tower.

Exactly why I wrote it the way I did...

Some guys, when they don't see you "level" yourself to break right, but instead see you roll more left, sometimes pull harder left in anticipation.

I guess I should have made it clearer...

Many of the average MA guys, when they don't see you "level" yourself to break right, but instead see you roll more left, sometimes pull harder left in anticipation.

And as was probably said earlier...it all depends on the separation between the two combatants.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 12:19:32 PM »
Exactly why I wrote it the way I did...

I guess I should have made it clearer...

Many of the average MA guys, when they don't see you "level" yourself to break right, but instead see you roll more left, sometimes pull harder left in anticipation.

And as was probably said earlier...it all depends on the separation between the two combatants.

Uhh ok, I guess. This move you describe is the most basic of moves and your plane would be meat on the table.  I find it hard to believe anyone but the most inexperienced player falls for this. Once you roll past 90 degrees, your rate of turn diminishes accordingly and you would be easy to get guns on.  Once you are flat(inverted) you are not turning at all and you are cherry. Have you had success with this? If so, maybe I'm wrong.. could you post some films?

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »
I'm not sure what this has to do with the guy rolling all the way around or my reaction to it. If the guy pullls the  move he mentioned on an experienced player, he's gonna give up a nice gun solution and probably be sent to the tower.

It has nothing to do with you I didn't mention your name in it. I was agreeing with you and offering the guy some advice on how to pull the move hes talking about without being so obvious.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »
It has nothing to do with you I didn't mention your name in it. I was agreeing with you and offering the guy some advice on how to pull the move hes talking about without being so obvious.

I misunderstood, I apologize.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 03:56:46 PM »
I misunderstood, I apologize.

no probs m8  :)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »
A diagram might help you explain yourself more clearly Steve.  I understand what you are saying but I don't think they do.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »
A diagram might help you explain yourself more clearly Steve.  I understand what you are saying but I don't think they do.

I lack the talent to create a diagram.  Fortunately, someone tried that on me more than once in the same fight today. Although my gunnery was terrible, you can see how I gain angles each time..

1 minute film:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1uunj01xuio

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 09:07:18 PM »
This reaction in flat scissors is a classic example of engine tork at work.

Consider a flat level flight path in a plane with anti-clockwise rotating prop (Torque is to the left). Now at full throttle if you break turn ( NOT bank turn) to the left the NOSE will drop in the turn. If you break turn right the nose will climb. The plane will do this naturally unless you counteract this tendacncy with rudder and aileron input. Usually it is heavy rudder input or "stomping on the rudder".

Top rudder means if you are in a perfectly flat turn to the left the RIGHT side of your tail will be facing to the sky. So stomp right rudder to pull the nose to the right which is actully UP.

Now you break back to the right and reverse the rudder stomp on right rudder (which is now the bottom side).

This will keep you in a level flat turn in both directions....HOWEVER because you are using rudder it will also slow you down considerably. This is not an energy conserving maneuver.

I must comment that this is a very radicle maneuver used to create an overshot gun solution at close range. If you are going to do a more controlled scissor then do the second method below.

But if you have a bandit 600 out you must do whatever it takes to create an overshoot or die.

The second choice is to use the torque to your advantage.

Since the nose drops left and rises to the right we can use this to manipulate the energy curve to our advantage.

On left flat turns utilize this to gain  A LITTLE energy. Use this energy on the right turn when the nose goes up. So you are actually maintaining a constant energy state. You climb up and over to the right. You dive and pull up on the left.

The key to this is low side wing stalling. You want to stall the down wing by pulling hard and "snapping" the plane over without using any rudder. If you use the rudder your doing option number one describe above.

So when we turn left we know the nose will go down. We break left and "pull back and roll hard" to stall the left wing. Snap to left and release. Now the same to the right. We are  only use stalling a wing to turn....NO RUDDER. Now we are weaving with an up and down path. Almost very shallow yo yo's in the turns but NOT verticle. We just want to use the torqe to help snap the plane and make the nose go up and down with torque.

This is more useful when you have a higher faster diving bandit coming to your six. You can begin this type of scissor early because you appear as an easy kill. But you are actually keeping your energy. If you can draw him in inside d800 you can reverse into a gun solution and possible catch them if they go verticle. If they extend off in a banking turn go the other way and re merge.

Agent360
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:24:25 PM by Agent360 »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »
I lack the talent to create a diagram.  Fortunately, someone tried that on me more than once in the same fight today. Although my gunnery was terrible, you can see how I gain angles each time..

1 minute film:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1uunj01xuio

steve......

thanks for posting that. it actually kind of made a point i was trying to get at. your first 2 shots at the typ were when he went up. he just got lucky that you missed. i think those 2 times are where you gained the most angles on him. it was a nice shot at the end there, but i'm not sure that the complete roll he did allowed you to get that shot.

thanks dude......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)